Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It got kinda warm today (over 45* F) so I sharpened the 462 (again) and played with my log pile. Didn't have any appointments in the afternoon so I got to play a bit with my wood pile.

Focused on cutting the Oak, Hickory and Black Birch as the Red Maple will dry just fine even if I don't cut and split it till Spring.

This is the 4th time sharpening the 462 since I kinda rocked it (must have touched a pebble in the bark or something). I usually only give 2 swipes a tooth for touch ups, but I gave each tooth 5 swipes each of the 4 times, and dropped the rakers today also, and it is finally cutting like normal again!

Cut a bunch of rounds, but only had time to run the splitter for about 15 minutes, so lots of rounds still to be split.

I don't care what anyone else says, when you are standing on a chip covered wood pile, it is nice to have a decomp to help with starting your warm saw! Makes it so much easier!

Still torn on which 50cc to snag. Torn between a MS260Pro or the MS261CM. Looking for a 16” saw for limbing and to let the Mrs. run.

I favor the 261s, especially if it is a Ver II (they are about 1/2 lb lighter than Ver 1). The quad port design also just seems to run stronger.

Thanks for the input.

My local dealer buddy really talked up the 261 and the M-Tronic.
They also get better fuel economy.
The only bummer about them is they take a good number of pulls to start when they haven't been ran for a bit. Once running they start right up as would be expected.

A client of mine dropped in yesterday, said he had a big branch come off a very big tree the other day. Landed on a fence and asked me if I wanted the wood. Didn't know what sort of tree it was, thought it might have been elm :laugh:. Sure.

5th Feb 1.jpg

Turned out to be blue gum which is ok firewood but it was a bit tricky, was on a slope, on a fence, split a small tree down the middle and was suspended, then managed to wind itself between three other trees so there was tension in multiple spots. A bit of thought required but worked it out.

5th Feb 2.jpg

5th Feb 3.jpg

Ended up with about a cube and a half. Going to be a pain to split so I'll be making some noodles with some of the bits I think. All the boys got a run today which they really needed.

5th Feb 4.jpg

5th Feb 5.jpg

Nice morning scrounge.

:)

It’s a chopper, handle is about 24inches. I think x17 is the equivalent. I love that thing!! I also have a 36in x27. The 28in I think is the x25

SVK is the guy to ask....
The 28” splitter is the X-25

The chopping axe is a longer handled version of the X-15

The x-17 is the short handled splitting axe.

Did a little chainsaw scrounging today. Hadnt planned on it, but that's the way it usually works out. I was at the local saw shop and saw a dolmar 7910 setting in the corner by the work bench, along with a bunch of husky parts and pieces. Don't see many dolmars around my neck of the woods. There was a couple of 2005 model 372s setting there without bars. I also spied a 51 with a missing crank cover. The 51 sort of peaked my interest because I have a oem top for a 55 setting on the shelf. I asked the mechanic what the deal was on the box of saw parts and the 51. Everything is blown up, bought them for the parts. What you want for the 51, make ya a deal he said. $100. I said I would do that if he threw in the dolmar, I was joking but he started sliding everything toward me, including the 7910. Got to looking in the box and saw some 372 cyl that looked pretty slick. Ok its a deal. Paid him and then asked about the 372's How much for one of them blown up saws. Well, he hadn't checked them out so he threw one on the bench gave it a pull and said this saw isn't blown. Turned out it had blown the ceramic out of the sparkplug. New plug and it ran like new. Second 372 checked it out, good compression but gas line had a hole in it. Another good 372. I said how much, $100 for one. I paid and he decided to put a new b/c on the other one. Tried to crank and the flywheel came off. Fixed the flywheel and then said, I bet that 7910 aint blown either. Three pulls of the rope and it fired and ran like new money. So I got 2 running saws and enough parts to build one more complete 372, a possible need nothing 51, and a couple of parts missing 372's for $200. With the 55 topend on hand and maybe just the price of a set of 372 rings I should have 5 running saws. I guess that makes up for the 55 I lost when I left the tailgate down on my truck a couple of moths back. Some days are just better than others.

Still torn on which 50cc to snag. Torn between a MS260Pro or the MS261CM. Looking for a 16” saw for limbing and to let the Mrs. run.
I'll go with @MustangMike on the 261.CM. I did the upgrade from the old 026 last fall. Pretty much the saw that goes to the woods with me now. Like @chipper1 mentioned they can be a little finicky on intial startup (4-6 pulls cold). Air filtration is great compared to the old 026.

I'll go with @MustangMike on the 261.CM. I did the upgrade from the old 026 last fall. Pretty much the saw that goes to the woods with me now. Like @chipper1 mentioned they can be a little finicky on intial startup (4-6 pulls cold). Air filtration is great compared to the old 026.
It doesn't make sense that they can't make them easier to start, the 661 starts first pull when cold o_O. The 550 pops on the 1st or second and is running on the next pull. The ported 357 I sold yesterday hadn't ran for a couple months, popped on the 7th and was running on the 8th :(, but it ran great and its easier to pull than the 261(recoil size?), it would be easier with a purge bulb.

Latest posts

Back