How to identify early 026s with improved porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is this possible, or is it just luck of the draw? Does metal top handle vs. polymer mean anything? Solid white fuel tank vs. see-through? Metal tag vs. polymer? Serial number?

ETA: I have heard of a couple different possible advantages to red lever models including improved porting, but have also heard that the red lever doesn't really guarantee anything.

Thanks in advance.

I've got a red lever, my brother has a black lever, they aren't too far apart as far as the serial numbers go. Mine is a noisy little monster while his is pretty meager in terms of power. I'm running a 16" 3/8 chisel and he's running a .325 chisel and mine definitely pulls the 3/8 better than his pulls the .325. Haven't had enough time to dig too much deeper into it than that.

My gut feeling on the two different tank styles is, they probably started with the solid white tanks, then transitioned to the see-through ones. So I would think a saw with the solid white tank would probably stand a better chance of having the earlier, improved porting. Was hoping someone could at least verify this.

The saw I have now has the solid white tank, and I strongly suspect it also has the improved porting.

Never heard of this improved porting before.
I have an 026 Pro. Does this include the Pro saws?

Never heard of this improved porting before.
I have an 026 Pro. Does this include the Pro saws?

I doubt it. I believe the Pro version came out later on. But the later models do seem to have one advantage: Looks like the reason they changed the tank vent might have been to provide clearance for a wider air filter with more area for air flow, plus it has filter media in the rear of the filter, at least part way down. These saws should flow a good better, for intake at least. My guess is that with at least most Pro models, they should be good running saws, provided the muffler is not all choked up. I believe I have one of the last 026s built. It's a non-pro model without the adjustable oiler, but it has a decomp and compensating carb. And the muffler..... I love it. No baffle at all, and from the factory the cover was opened up to at least 60% of the exhaust port opening, maybe more. I have read that 80% is optimal. Both my 026s are keepers. And they both appear to have had a pretty easy life.

The difference in the P&C was with the 026 and early 260 44mm piston saws vs the later 44.7mm 260 saws. The early 260 saws had the ~slightly~ better 026 P&C on them. That is the difference in cylinder 'porting'. The real difference in the early to later 026 and 260 saws is the mufflers. The mufflers got more choked up as the years went by. They also put non-tunable carbs in later model 260 saws to meet EPA standards. I have had a lot of these saws over the years in several configurations. The later 260 saws also had slightly larger air filter. They are mix and match over the years. One thing to note is that a 260 P&C will fit any 026 saw, and a 260 P&C will fit any 260 saw with zero modification required. But they have to be replaced as pairs along with the rings. I have a later model 026 with a 260 P&C that I got from Lakeside Andy here. No issues installing it on a blown 026 engine that was straight gassed.

There are a lot of variables in the 026/260 saw line. Most of these parts are mix and match, but not all. The only difference between PRO and non-PRO saws in this line is the oil pump and decomp. Some of both types had clear gas tanks, most were solid. Some non-PRO saw bodies had a hole in the bottom for the adjustable oil pump, but no adjustable oil pump on them. The earliest 026 saws had a red action lever, a metal recoil cover, an aluminum top handle, a taller tower gas tank vent, and a smaller air filter. The later models had a plastic recoil cover, a composite top handle, 2 different short gas tank vents, a black action lever, and the latest models had a larger air filter. The early ones were made in West Germany. Later they were also made in Virginia. In the next posts are 3 of the muffler models on the 026 and 260 saws. I pulled and compared them at one time and drilled out/cut up the choked up mufflers to flow like the early model ones. That was/is the biggest difference in performance in the line. The mufflers.

The difference in the P&C was with the 026 and early 260 44mm piston saws vs the later 44.7mm 260 saws. The early 260 saws had the ~slightly~ better 026 P&C on them. That is the difference in cylinder 'porting'. The real difference in the early to later 026 and 260 saws is the mufflers. The mufflers got more choked up as the years went by. They also put non-tunable carbs in later model 260 saws to meet EPA standards. I have had a lot of these saws over the years in several configurations. The later 260 saws also had slightly larger air filter. They are mix and match over the years. One thing to note is that a 260 P&C will fit any 026 saw, and a 260 P&C will fit any 260 saw with zero modification required. But they have to be replaced as pairs along with the rings. I have a later model 026 with a 260 P&C that I got from Lakeside Andy here. No issues installing it on a blown 026 engine that was straight gassed.

There are a lot of variables in the 026/260 saw line. Most of these parts are mix and match, but not all. The only difference between PRO and non-PRO saws in this line is the oil pump and decomp. Some of both types had clear gas tanks, most were solid. Some non-PRO saw bodies had a hole in the bottom for the adjustable oil pump, but no adjustable oil pump on them. The earliest 026 saws had a red action lever, a metal recoil cover, an aluminum top handle, a taller tower gas tank vent, and a smaller air filter. The later models had a plastic recoil cover, a composite top handle, 2 different short gas tank vents, a black action lever, and the latest models had a larger air filter. The early ones were made in West Germany. Later they were also made in Virginia. In the next posts are 3 of the muffler models on the 026 and 260 saws. I pulled and compared them at one time and drilled out/cut up the choked up mufflers to flow like the early model ones. That was/is the biggest difference in performance in the line. The mufflers.

Thank you, sir. So other than the difference in mufflers, all that hype about early model saws running better is unfounded. That sure does change my perspective. Looks like the carbs could also be different in some cases at least, but that can be easily rectumized.

The “red lever” jugs had smaller chambers than the later jugs and hence higher compression.

When they added the provision for the decomp valve, the chamber got larger whether the valve was there or not. They also unshrouded the areas next to the plug on the later jugs.

As said above, I believe most of the power decrease in later years was because of the mufflers getting more restricted.

Here is a pic of an early jug. I don’t have a pic of a later combustion chamber handy.
F5EE1C11-68D8-4080-9A7E-D93A051DBB4F.jpeg

The “red lever” jugs had smaller chambers than the later jugs and hence higher compression.

When they added the provision for the decomp valve, the chamber got larger whether the valve was there or not. They also unshrouded the areas next to the plug on the later jugs.

As said above, I believe most of the power decrease in later years was because of the mufflers getting more restricted.

Here is a pic of an early jug. I don’t have a pic of a later combustion chamber handy.
View attachment 795348

The jug I prefer for my builds.

Back