Woodmaster outdoor boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonmeridew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Having leakage problems with my 11 yr old 4400. Does anyone know if Woodmaster is still in business. I just drove 50 miles to my original dealer, still listed as a dealer on WM website, but it's now a gas station. Please someone help me.
simonmeridew

Can't answer the Woodmaster question, but I'd try some boiler stop leak. Two or three of the small bottles from Menards held my leaks for quite awhile. Welding is a better option of course. Good luck, not a fun situation.

Could be the beginning of the end for it. Never know with OWBs.

I wouldn't expect a Woodmaster dealer would be any help even if you found one. I'd likely start by asking around local welding shops about it. But they would probably need a very good idea of the exact nature of the leak before saying anything.

Yep, to the beginning of the end.
Inspect for neglect, sorry.

Having leakage problems with my 11 yr old 4400. Does anyone know if Woodmaster is still in business. I just drove 50 miles to my original dealer, still listed as a dealer on WM website, but it's now a gas station. Please someone help me.
simonmeridew
Where is it leaking at. Had a 434 that developed a leak at around 10 years, had it repaired and neighbor has been using it for 7 years now. Had a valve start leaking at back unused line and ran to front of stove. Local steel supplier rolled some 1/4 steel for repair.

I've been cutting maple firewood{ and spruce/ fir logs and some 4' pulp when they were buying it)since around 1980. From my Fisher Mama Bear in the living room, the Thermopride ductwork wood Furnace, in the cellar, and 12 years ago I thought I had the holy grail: the Woodmaster outdoor boiler: chimney fires no longer a worry, ashes and bark dirt no longer a threat to domestic tranquility, thermostatic equality and able to sleep the night at -20 F (and worse) and youth hockey games 80 miles away... return to warm house. I guess the world wants me to move on. But I guess I still don't accept what the universe is telling me. Time for repairs, or time for a new boiler. Time will tell. The kitchen Glenwood is a comforting backup meanwhile.

The thing with an outdoor boiler: when there's a problem you can't see where it's bothering, what with sheet metal, insulation, electronics, unpleasant working conditions and threatening sub zero weather. Can I go back 40 years? The Mama Bear!
No wait! the Mama bear threatened chimney fires!! What to do? To the dark side??? Oil burner???
Sorry for the rant, simonmeridew

You could give the Stop Leak suggestion above a try. Could get through the winter with it, and it's a cheap & easy try. Regardless, aside from that, you will need to do what you need to, to find the source of the leak then assess. Yup, that might require some tear down. Would not be fun this time of the year.

Removal of outside panels on a Woodmaster is no big deal. Grab a screw gun and have at it. You can shut it down in the winter. I have done both. Inside leak is a bigger deal than outside leak. Guess your 10 year old cars have never had to have repairs. Water treatment regularly done. If no inline filter, pump removed and cleaned. Ash removed so you could scrape barrel down to steel weekly. OWB's do need maintenance, just like indoor units.

A gogle search brought up the Woodmaster co, they seem to still be in business. IMHO, It is very important to use the boiler treatment in all open boilers. I have read and do believe that you always want your return water to be above 140F, below that temperature any creasote in the unit is more corrosive.

Keeping you boiler hot at a consistent temp also reduces the stress of thermal movement of steels.

Good luck with repairing your leak, they certainly can be in fun locations. But they still can be repaired.

Latest posts

Back