We All Have That One Saw........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
..................... that is our Baby.
And we just love to run it.
Mine is my MS460.
I frickin' love that saw. It just rips. Bought it new and took care of it all along. I could run it all day long.
When I am around my friends and we are cutting some firewood that are just amazed with it.
What's your favorite?

I love my Sachs Dolmar 133 (85cc's). I saved that saw from the scrap heap and built it to like new. Now it starts right up and cuts wood like a hot knife through butter. It feels good in your hands. My other saw was a Poulan 40cc and all I use it for now is trimming branches.

I am now addicted to rebuilding older pro saws. I've got a Makita (Dolmar 143) concrete saw on the bench, and a Poulan 7700 and Hilti concrete saw that both need a top end. I'll keep the Makita and sell the other two. And got more coming...

My Mac 10-10a. Dunno why but this one is stronger than any other 54/57cc Mac I've ever had and it just runs and runs. Intoxicating sound too....
I do not know the details but the same CC saws had slightly different porting through the years. Same goes with the 82 cc versions. Plus every saw has slightly different tolerances and sometimes you get one that is just "on". Never let go of those ones!

Nope, not just one, love them all the same. I've always said my Super 1050 with the 36" bar is my favorite. But, last week my wife brought home a Pro Mac 10-10, it starts, runs, and sounds great. So, it's been my favorite for a week. This morning I was thinking of selling a few that aren't brand specific to what a collect. The first one on the shelf was the Stihl 08S my buddy pulled out of the dumpster at the land fill several years ago. When he got it, with the plug out it was very hard to pull over. Thought the bearings were gone. This morning I pull the recoil, and gave it a pull. Off the saw, it was hard to pull and didn't want to rewind. Pulled the plug, turned the engine over once with my hand and got a spark. Put the recoil back on, shot of mix in the plug hole, plug back in, and on the third pull it started right up. Pulled the air cleaner and put a shot in the carb and it started and ran for about 10 seconds. It revs good. I'm going back out in a bit and prime it a few more times and see if it starts picking fuel up from the tank. This is my favorite one today. This one just sounds good too! It sounds like it has balls two sizes too big. Some thing about a saw about the size of a Farm Boss that pulls .404 chain just gets me hot.

I do not know the details but the same CC saws had slightly different porting through the years. Same goes with the 82 cc versions. Plus every saw has slightly different tolerances and sometimes you get one that is just "on". Never let go of those ones!

This was first Mac I ever bought a few years ago. Got it from an old duff that bought it new in '70s. He used it for cordwood for years, at some point he seized motor. Had a local shop rebuild it. He said he can't remember what they did but shop told him they did a bit of work to make it run stronger. This guy is one of those guys when you drive by you think he has a yard full of junk, but when you stop in and talk to him he has hidden treasures. He had a small stack of deuce frame rails behind shop, flathead v8 motors and mod parts, a few old early hemis, etc, etc,

My best guess is that saw is ported cause there is no decomp on it ruling out a bigger cylinder. Block is also still yellow....my understanding is replacement cylinders were usually bare aluminum?

they're all my favorite but my 650 mag is top spot, its never given me any issues. a little heavy to run all day (I'm a small dude) & loud as hell but its an amazing runner. 28" bar, 8 pin, tuned & turning 14K during spring/summer weather it's a blast to run.

Husqy 450 is the first saw I bought brand new (2009), after muffler modding its a fun & reliable saw. It's doesn't owe me a thing.

both of my 026's are being temperamental little shats at the moment, so they're on the bench.

Lucky YOU! Mine has been a royal pain in the ass since the day I got it home. Love it when it runs right though.

Many say it is heavy and under powered. Mine pulls a 3/8 20" B&C just fine. Head to head with some slightly larger saws it has proven itself to be equal or better then the others.

Back