Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you ran it at the GTG? Yea the 462 would be a good 1 saw plan if I was 30 years younger.:rolleyes: :innocent: :laugh:
I'll run it for you. I think I'm right at 30 years younger :lol:.

You can never have to big of a saw. My two go to saws now are my Dolmar ported 7910. And the 395xp I even bought a 24 inch bar for it. With the 36 inch bar I need two work benches to sharpen it.View attachment 795536 View attachment 795537
20191222_183954.jpg Time for a vice upgrade. Mine will hold the 7910 with a 32 no problem. Well there is one problem the power head blocks the door to the beer fridge with the long bar.

Went up to the big oak earlier to split and clean up some. Grabbed the 3700 to run a little and see how my chain did in the oak compared to maple. 20200205_174551.jpg Started another row need to get some stakes for the ends.20200205_180134.jpg Left for home in the dark left for home in the dark and realised this is the only light that works on the tractor :dumb2:.

I'll run it for you. I think I'm right at 30 years younger :lol:.

View attachment 795563 Time for a vice upgrade. Mine will hold the 7910 with a 32 no problem. Well there is one problem the power head blocks the door to the beer fridge with the long bar.

Not the vise . But the tool box on the Bench. So I need to wheel the other bench 90° to get it done

Last few days I've spent doing other firewood work , making an arch for my dump trailer just about done. I did find out my metal saw will not cut 1 1/2" by .25 square tubing. Had to do most of the cuts freehand with the dewalt angle grinder . Still need to add the hooks and plates to use chains and sinch blocks. The pin and base of the arch will be one foot above the bed on the dump trailer , just pull the pins and it will come out of the trailer. I just tacked the pivot plates till I do a full run with it . View attachment 795538 View attachment 795539 View attachment 795540 View attachment 795541 View attachment 795542 View attachment 795543
The key to cutting heavier stuff with a chopsaw is to "peck" at it. Jam it down and let off before the breaker blows. Lol. If you ease it down too slow, the abrasive blade heats the steel and work hardens it. Making it harder to cut.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The key to cutting heavier stuff with a chopsaw is to "peck" at it. Jam it down and let off before the breaker blows. Lol. If you ease it down too slow, the abrasive blade heats the steel and work hardens it. Making it harder to cut.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Tried that little cuts and it it would just bog down. The angle grinder with a thin nerf cut it much butter

I got more milled wood than I can use … and I still can't bring myself to make fireowood out of one of the Red Oak logs I got!!! This is a terrible affliction!

you know my man cave needs a sweet “coffee table”. Or even better a custom made gun rack.... you can come visit to do my taxes, play with the puppy and take some measurements for the gun rack.......;)

Muad, I like your 3 saw plan, don't let them dissuade you.

While I don't own a 361, they are very respected and getting hard to find. When ported, they run very strong. It will be a great backup if you rock either of the chains on the other saws. I would not sell it if I had it.

Doc Al ported my 360 and does a great job on 361s also.

Just like my 10 mm 044 is here to stay, and countless people post how they wish they had not sold theirs!

Muad, I like your 3 saw plan, don't let them dissuade you.

While I don't own a 361, they are very respected and getting hard to find. When ported, they run very strong. It will be a great backup if you rock either of the chains on the other saws. I would not sell it if I had it.

Doc Al ported my 360 and does a great job on 361s also.

Just like my 10 mm 044 is here to stay, and countless people post how they wish they had not sold theirs!
Thanks brother.

I LOVE the 361. It’s such an awesome saw. If I could only have one, it would be that one.

That 360 is a runner for sure! One of my favorite saws of my Uncles. Once upon a time, I wielded that thing to process two piles of logs into rounds. And when I say piles.... I mean truck loads. My BIL literally broke his back and couldn’t do his firewood, so my pops uncle and I stepped up to knock it out. Had my two nephews and their pal splitting all day, them boys couldn’t keep up. AND Uncle Mustang had to pry that ported 60cc monster outta my hands at the end of the day, and that says a LOT considering it’s not all orange!

Thanks brother.

I LOVE the 361. It’s such an awesome saw. If I could only have one, it would be that one.

that’s how I feel about my ported 262xp and my Uncles ported 360. You ever run a properly built saw? And I mean “runs like a raped apes smoking bath salts” built?

Tried that little cuts and it it would just bog down. The angle grinder with a thin nerf cut it much butter

Iv been a welder all my life. Only jobs iv had since high school. Iv always like using a cutoff wheel. For smaller things it is very fast.

But when you get into big stuff a bandsaw is hard to beat.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

don't let them dissuade you.
Beg to differ. The 241 is perfect as a trail saw, is a little weapon with an easy to do MM and timing advance, fits better into any plan that aims to keep the 361, and most importantly (and playing the long game), is going to be a better fit for the Mrs. We are extremely fortunate to be given a shot to get the Mrs on the CAD wagon so it's crucial we don't blow the opportunity and the 241 is a perfect saw for that while still being capable. It could pay dividends in the long run. She gets used to it and starts burying the 16" picco bar into denser timbers and wants more power. Well, then she can be ntroduced to the world of mods and when she wants more (as every addict does) it's onto the 261, and by then there's no going back. Call the 241 the perfect gateway saw.

Good evening in the garage.

I bought a 340 off eBay last fall as well as a box of stuff from @cuinrearview

Got the ebay 340 running easily. The pawls on the flywheel had gummed up and the starter wouldn’t engage. A couple shots of WD40 had them loose. Saw starts up, runs great and oils.

D4F90F49-7DD4-46E6-99BE-1940669F8A33.jpeg

350 from Tim. I like the sticker.
60D24CFA-A583-40D2-B90C-C04A7FA52E21.jpeg
Complete 142
39833BB6-1466-4F36-90EE-307B23C0236B.jpeg
142 parts saw. This one has had a tough life but the piston and cylinder are good.
E2F5C900-569E-4814-8D85-06CE281186B2.jpeg

Some goodies
3D69D493-E6B6-42AC-8B70-19C956F00804.jpeg E53879CB-C08C-49F6-AFB0-0EDAAB056517.jpeg

I may try to fit a 3/8 low profile bar and chain to the 340.

Latest posts

Back