Stihl 044 reparable?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me about this mark in the cylinder?

Attachments

• 20200206_214937.jpg
    20200206_214937.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
its Not going to be a shelf queen, but what’s worse than you were expecting? How’s the top end look through the exhaust?

Split the case ... the other parts look corroded, but what do you expect after 1 and 1/2 years under water? Cylinder/piston might be OK...
Check the parts and then make a shopping list:
- crank bearings
- crankcase
- clutch (might be just the springs)
- tank housing/rear handle assy (I would use the broken one if it does not leak)
- rubber parts, etc.

Cost could be anywhere between 100 and 300 USD (more if the P/C is toast). Plus, hunting for parts and resurrecting this corpse might be a lot of fun :)

CAD is waiting for another victim :cool:

It's gonna need a full rebuild. Go OEM on the plastics, carb rebuild, keep that red lever and cylinder(and maybe the piston)! Red levers are no longer available. Go aftermarket on the tank.
DO a search for' 044 440 build'. And consider it a journey. ;)

It was in rough shape even before been flooded to the bottom of that well.

Do the math before even starting because on our side of the Pond 044 spare hulks are not common and that handle would take a century to restore properly.

Good morning from Portugal !!!

First of all it is super motivating to wake up and see your messages of encouragement.
At the end of the day, I should finish reaching the separation of the case.
Then I will make a list of what I think it is necessary to buy and whether I will really go ahead with this project (with your help).
Thanks again for the suggestions, looking forward to read more.
:cheers:

Can’t tell, is the piston scored or fine? when You say nightmare pics, it kinda looks like a standard dirty saw.

The photos do not live up to what it really is ... the plastics are all brittle, all the aluminum is with that white mold from the water ... the piston looks healthy, but it is also discolored with water ...

Any genuine part you need, just tell me: I have just made a big purchase at the local Stihl dealership so they are in a good mood. :laugh:

I know them well so if I told them it's for a good cause they may feel extra generous, plus shipping to Portugal is bound to be cheaper from Italy than from the US.

As an aside I strongly advise against using aftermarket plastic parts: I have had very bad experiences with them. I don't know what they are made of but it's surely not the giberglass-reinforced Nylon Stihl uses. ;)

Any genuine part you need, just tell me: I have just made a big purchase at the local Stihl dealership so they are in a good mood. :laugh:

I know them well so if I told them it's for a good cause they may feel extra generous, plus shipping to Portugal is bound to be cheaper from Italy than from the US.

As an aside I strongly advise against using aftermarket plastic parts: I have had very bad experiences with them. I don't know what they are made of but it's surely not the giberglass-reinforced Nylon Stihl uses. ;)
Its the first time that I am rebuilding a stihl .. and one thing is for sure, the quality of materials is fantastic (6 months under water) :lol:

Looks like a good project to learn on, serial number suggests an early 12mm which would probably be better to source a piston. I like using WD-40 which i can buy a gallon cheap and fill a squirt bottle with, to get the dirt off and soak into the saw and the case, even fill the spark plug hole with it and thru the intake boot, since the metal piston rings are probably seized up and the crank bearings too. As others comment, the cylinder is prob the most important thing in these saws and case too, both are magnesium that doesnt rust but can corrode in certain conditions (like sitting on damp concrete).

Back