Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always post pictures of my back yard but this is my front yard . Right now we have freezing fog. Which is worse than freezing rain . Because it starts to freeze the underside of sheltered areas. Still have power but the genny is gassed up and ready View attachment 795854
Looks nice, well the view, not the freezing fog part :baba:.

The saw sounds awesome, and the chain makes up for the AV on there or lack of AV :surprised3:.
The chain is perfectly tuned to the wood/saw :rock:.
I think it's a bit low on the rakers. But this is the first one that's made me feel like I'm starting to get it. 20200205_175005.jpg Honestly the counter vibes are pretty smooth for a 30+ year old saw. I want to do a base gasket delete and port the intake block on this one to compliment the muffler mod. And do the second muffler with gills as some people didn't like how I did the one on the saw now.

I love being where I am. I really have only a few full time neighbors. My biggest landwise neighbor is the State on NY 1700 acres around me. So it's nice a quiet most of the time
Here too, one retired neighbor on a shared drive with him and I on it. He overlooks our front yard, which includes our front porch so he can see when things get dropped off here, if it's raining he'll grab my packages up and bring them in his house/garage. It's awesome to have a great neighbor :yes:.

I think it's a bit low on the rakers. But this is the first one that's made me feel like I'm starting to get it. View attachment 795857 Honestly the counter vibes are pretty smooth for a 30+ year old saw. I want to do a base gasket delete and port the intake block on this one to compliment the muffler mod. And do the second muffler with gills as some people didn't like how I did the one on the saw now.
Sounded as though that saw ran well at those rpms in that size wood, if you stick it in bigger wood that may change, the joys of having the perfect chain for every situation lol. The chain in that 372 video wasn't very good, but it cut good enough to run it for cookies, I wouldn't want to have to cut hardwood with.
Not doubting what you're saying, but I enjoy my springs :yes:.
I don't remember what the muffler mod looked like.

I am surprised that the 261 wears the large mount. But I suppose the small mount Stihl is really small. Versus Husky uses A041 mount for small saws, K095 "Small Husky" for mid size saws, and D009 for large saws. The small mount Stihl A074 is very similar to A041.
Makes a big difference in the right place for me, if not, I wouldn't own a 241.
It's also one of the reasons I'm not the biggest fan of a 562, I really like the small mount in a 60cc saw, or I'll just grab a 70.

Well, I found a 241 from the same fella that has a new 261CMv2. Prices are very fair.

But, I can get the 261 PHO for less than the 241 with a B/C. Is the 241 really that good?

Tldr

QDDkF1m.jpg

81W5u3W.jpg

Tf103d5.jpg

Sounded as though that saw ran well at those rpms in that size wood, if you stick it in bigger wood that may change, the joys of having the perfect chain for every situation lol. The chain in that 372 video wasn't very good, but it cut good enough to run it for cookies, I wouldn't want to have to cut hardwood with.
Not doubting what you're saying, but I enjoy my springs :yes:.
I don't remember what the muffler mod looked like.
20191107_090551.jpg A few people said doing it like this puts to much heat on the jug. I have a second muffler so I'm gona try gills in that one and maybe have someone close up the factory outlets on the back. I like the one on it now cause it looks stock.

What's the price difference between the two saws? If bugger all in the long run it's irrelevant against increasing the risks of no matrimonial participation.
Different bar mounts and chains isn't an issue really, because why run a 20" on the 261 when have both a 361 and I can't recall, was it a 461?

One way to settle this for good is to ask the Mrs to decide by testing both saws. At the same time you'll be able to surprise yourself how capable the 241 is for a small size. If the Mrs likes the 261 then done deal.
Good points.

No one local has a 241 that I can find. Local dealer has the 261s in stock. But, another brother here has both, new, and his prices seem very fair.

Probably gonna snag one from him, just trying to see. My local dealer will let me trade in my ms310, but I’ll take a hit on it. I’ve got my money out of it, so not too worried.

I greatly appreciate the insight and wisdom y’all have shared.

I rike it!!

241, correct??
yes. That reminds me, Cowboy, if you're reading this, did your old man get his 241 and if so how does he like it and what did it cost him please? They are absurdly expensive here. People look at them and go 'you gotta be sh1tting me'. I don't think Stihl NZ sold many.

Well its still raining. It stopped just long enough for the creek to go back in its banks, but raining hard enough now that it might jump back out again. I didn't escape a little loss. I had a couple of 330gal totes down in the edge of the wood. The water got up just enough to float them down stream. I drove around down stream and found both totes, but the water was up to much to get to them. Both totes are tangled in a bunch of brush and if the creek don't rise, they should still be there when the rain stops. I talked to the property owners and let them know I would be getting them as soon as it was dry enough. If the water gets up again, I suspect I will find them floating down the river.

Back