Perplexed: 075 076 Bar & Chain Fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesquiteChips

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone familiar with the Stihl 075/076 can help me figure out a perplexing issue. It's probably something obvious I'm embarrassingly doing wrong, and I've been trying to problem solve but I have to raise my hand for some help:

-I 'm trying to fit a new 36" Stihl bar (3003 000 7353) with a Granberg ripping chain (.404/ .063)
-Local Stihl dealer I purchased the bar from confirmed this is the right bar for this saw
-The bar calls for 104 link chain and the chain I'm trying to fit is 104 drive links, confirmed
-The sprocket is .404 7 tooth
-I have the tensioning nut set all the way back

When I loop the chain around the sprocket and get the bar on the studs and have the bar set as far back as possible against the sprocket, the chain is just not long enough to mount on the bar nose. Even if it was somehow possible to stretch the chain tight enough to get it around the bar nose, which doesn't seem possible with what I've tried so far, it would be so tight that chain adjustment would be useless. This can't be right and I have to be doing something wrong. Anything obvious to anyone? Hope the attached photos help (second to last photo looks like the nut isn't all the back but it's just that I couldn't hold the bar fully against the sprocket lined up with the nut while taking the photo:

Thank you for the guidance.

Attachments

• IMG_6629.jpg
    IMG_6629.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6631.jpg
    IMG_6631.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6632.jpg
    IMG_6632.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6633.jpg
    IMG_6633.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6635.jpg
    IMG_6635.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6634.jpg
    IMG_6634.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
atchpas,

Well, as I anticipated, that is indeed a bit embarrassing. I was aware of the other mount option from lurking on this site for quite some time, but not in a place to question the dealer. I hope he'll exchange it because it became a bit dinged up in the process. If not, it will certainly be an expensive lesson learned.
And yes, the catalog source you provided and the saw are both a bit dated, but so am I. One of those three has already proven useful and hopefully, the other two will follow for some milling around the property.
Thank you for your willingness to set me straight.

psuiewalsh,

Ha. That would be sensible and an 066/660 was my original intent but they seem to go quickly here or are priced too dear elsewhere, and the 075 seemed like an affordable route for a saw reserved for milling. Of course, after all the time and money spent on parts to restore it, I'm not so sure anymore. She is a beast that runs very nicely now with a new carb, a lot of new Stihl parts installed, and lots of spares to go with it if I decide to try to post it for a possible trade or sale.

Latest posts

Back