Opening up the muffler: How much is too much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have two 026 mufflers I need to open up a bit. These will be my first. It appears that some say that we should shoot for 80% of the exhaust port area. Others have said to go for broke and open it up a lot. I am inclined to believe the 80% crowd, but would like to know for sure. So what say you: 80% or more?

Thanks in advance

I have two 026 mufflers I need to open up a bit. These will be my first. It appears that some say that we should shoot for 80% of the exhaust port area. Others have said to go for broke and open it up a lot. I am inclined to believe the 80% crowd, but would like to know for sure. So what say you: 80% or more?

Thanks in advance
%80 is the max for me I would start with 65%and go up from there

80 % is a good number . After that your just making noise and could defeat the purpose of the muffler mod and could lose power by having too much air flow out of the muffler upsetting the new charge entering the cylinder and losing some of the scavenging effect to keep the new charge from going back into the cylinder when the piston closes the exhaust. I'll probably get nailed to the cross for that statement but this is just my way of thinking when it comes to these muffler mods.

They look and sound cool with that wide open MM.But I think you sacrifice power going that route.I leave the baffles alone and only open the outside of the muffler.Ive measured a lot of baffles and have them to be around 80 percent so I don’t mess with them .The outlet is usually where the restriction is.

Back