TSC Bar and Chain oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
farm and fleet puts their's on sale down to 4.99 sometimes

my local saw shop is 7 dollars all the time he buys bulk barrels and puts it in gallon jugs

the sale oil is always 30 weight and at the temps I prefer to cut at with frozen ground to haul out is like syrup so I use more 10 weight oil I keep a can of each gas cans with spouts.

I agree truthfully I use just about anything hydraulic fluid super cheap motor oil what Evers on sale.. guys will say I’m wrecking my bar or chain but when you cut a lot as in a lot a lot the money you save buying that stuff can buy new bars or chain n truthfully haven’t work any bars prematurely yet

I agree. When you buy the expensive oil it doesn't take long to spend more in oil then what a bar cost.
And I haven't wrecked any bars yet buy using the cheap oil. I don't skimp on 2 stroke stihl oil for my fuel and I buy only shihl bars and chains, I don't cut down any trees. I have a tree company that drops off there logs and I just noodle everything into firewood. They do bring me the whole tree and that includes limbs to 4/5 foot trunks that I have to noodle down to a size i can pick up and put on the splitter. So there are times when I'm making long cuts getting through a 5 foot logs and I'll run long cuts that take some time to get through a cut and I run the saw through those long cuts till I run a full tank of full without stopping. I have not ruined a bar yet.

I had a friend (died in December) had a small engine shop, also sold Jreds for a while. always put used motor oil to use to heat the shop in the winter and strained it and used it for bar oil.

Always laughed at the tree huggers who claimed was ruining the environment useing it.
I liked what he said Oil is Oil just because it has a tacky componet it is still oil.
Every time you start a 2 stroke you put oil in the air thru the exhust although mostly burnt.

:D Al

I had a friend (died in December) had a small engine shop, also sold Jreds for a while. always put used motor oil to use to heat the shop in the winter and strained it and used it for bar oil.

Always laughed at the tree huggers who claimed was ruining the environment useing it.
I liked what he said Oil is Oil just because it has a tacky componet it is still oil.
Every time you start a 2 stroke you put oil in the air thru the exhust although mostly burnt.

Oil will evaporate and dispense on it own naturally. Mother Earth recycles everything.
People don't realize just how much oil drips out of the billions of cars they drive everyday.
Asphalt roads roads have lots of oil in it. Tar roofs have oil in them. We spread oils all over the place everyday and don't even think about it.
We use grease and oils for lubrication on everything and we have to re apply it because it drys up and evaporates. Heck even plants have oils in them. Look at the amount of corn we eat everyday. Ever heard of corn oil? It's only large oils spills that become a problem. Ever drive down the road and see a dark oil spot on the road, You learn just before the black spot in the road is a dip in the road, That dip make the oil drip off from under your car. Ever notice a light rain make the roads very slick and a heavy rain doesn't. Light rains just make the oil come to the suffice. The heavy rain washes the oil off and he light rain just brings it to the top and makes it slick. Everyone spreads oil all the time and don't even think about it. Nature just recycles it like it does everything else.

That dip make the oil drip off from under your car.
Very much agree.
It is also why motorcycles should ride left of center in a lane where tires wear the oil and grease off.
Ever see a semi tractor without a trailer. Often the fifth wheel hitch plate has a complete tube of grease pumped out in circles on it.

As for bar oil at TSC, I'm going to get a case or two if it is the thicker summer weight.

Oil is oil, absolutely.

When you run used motor oil, however, you are also slinging the contaminants within that oil all over the environment and yourself. Many of the contaminants in used oil are known to cause cancer. I am not interested in upping my cancer risk when I can spend 15-20 bucks a year on bar oil. Plus used oil does not lubricate things as well and it makes your saws a giant black mess.

Funny a couple years ago TSC had a big sale on bar oil. Had it on a seprate rack. woman said was summer blend bar oil selling to make room for thre winter oil with winter due to start.

Other day when I asked she said it is all 30 wt. and they do not make any different oil for summer or winter any more.
Back then I never compaired labels either.

Funny a couple years ago TSC had a big sale on bar oil. Had it on a seprate rack. woman said was summer blend bar oil selling to make room for thre winter oil with winter due to start.

Other day when I asked she said it is all 30 wt. and they do not make any different oil for summer or winter any more.
Back then I never compaired labels either.

They only sell 30 weight and usually put it on sale once to twice a quarter. Same with Menards.

I do not see many "winter weight" bar oils around any more even here in the great white north. Of course you can buy Stihl blue for 21 bucks a gallon.

ALCO used to sell 30 wt summer and 10 wt winter oil but I believe they went out of business. Clear jugs with the picture of an eagle on the front of it.

I know when I was a kid my pops used to use used engine oil in his xl12. I’ve tried everything from new oil, gear oil and bar oil. I swear the bad oil works the best!!

Dang, $5.00 - but not available for pickup at my local store?

I may just have to stop in to verify, TSC online stuff and local inventory has been wonky before... Getting ready to run into town anyway...
Mt Airy says $7, I'll stop in tomorrow morning and see. If it's $5 I'll send you a text. Or, do you want me to get you a couple? How many?

I know when I was a kid my pops used to use used engine oil in his xl12. I’ve tried everything from new oil, gear oil and bar oil. I swear the bad oil works the best!!
We ran 10W30 in all of ours saws from the time Dad went into business, in 1972, until yesterday. I only buy bar oil when it's on sale. All other times I use 10W30, cheapest I can find. I have 45 year old bars that look new, and that was the days of pump oilers.

Mt Airy says $7, I'll stop in tomorrow morning and see. If it's $5 I'll send you a text. Or, do you want me to get you a couple? How many?

I'll take just one then, I don't saw enough to have gallons upon gallons sitting around. If I can get off early one day this week I could stop over. With my wife's schedule she is always working late so I need to be by 5pm to let out the dogs and feed them.

I'll take just one then, I don't saw enough to have gallons upon gallons sitting around. If I can get off early one day this week I could stop over. With my wife's schedule she is always working late so I need to be by 5pm to let out the dogs and feed them.
I'm leaving for Denver Wed morning. I'll just leave it in the bed of my truck, it will be the only one there. My son gets home a little after you would be by, no need to wait for him. I'll warn the neighbors not to shoot.

I went to our TSC and said it was priced at $5 else where, she check and said, "Damned regional pricing". It's $7 here. I got 3 jugs. One for Multifaceted.

Back