Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@muad. I'm not sure on that newer model but on dad's older model you need to put the start lever in cold start position. Also engage the chain brake handle. Hope this helps.
EDIT. In your first pic it looks like you have it in the unlocked position( slot is horizontal) slot vertical will be locked.
Thanks brother!!

I bet some wood worker would cry if they saw all the black walnut I have in the rick. This is the back of one bay, which has some sugar maple and black walnut in the first two stacks. I love the smell of black walnut burning in the stove. It puts out some good BTUs as well.

Attachments

• 43ED4B38-B422-402A-BEF8-4036F5AE6607.jpeg
    43ED4B38-B422-402A-BEF8-4036F5AE6607.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 20
I’m sure I’d love it, I’m just afraid I might love it too much and my beloved 361 wouldn’t get any love. ;)
I agree, there isn't much gap between them, there's a reason I don't have but one 60 right now, hard when you have 50's not to just jump to a 70.
Now that you found the saw of your dads is a 254 I think you'll find that makes a great mid sized saw. As Matt was saying they are good saws, and as James said they will take a 346 if both have similar mods or are both stock. I like the 254 as it has a similar feel to a 346, but a little more power, they are actually just over 4hp in independent studies, the specs are a little light on them. That bar on yours is a high quality bar, just ask our Canadian friends :).

Bummer about the 180 cover. My neighbor has one if you don't get the cover off I'll get some pictures of his for you.
I think the only cab adjustment on them is the high which will effect the low slightly, but not as much as having a low adjustment.

I agree, there isn't much gap between them, there's a reason I don't have but one 60 right now, hard when you have 50's not to just jump to a 70.
Now that you found the saw of your dads is a 254 I think you'll find that makes a great mid sized saw. As Matt was saying they are good saws, and as James said they will take a 346 if both have similar mods or are both stock. I like the 254 as it has a similar feel to a 346, but a little more power, they are actually just over 4hp in independent studies, the specs are a little light on them. That bar on yours is a high quality bar, just ask our Canadian friends :).

Bummer about the 180 cover. My neighbor has one if you don't get the cover off I'll get some pictures of his for you.
I think the only cab adjustment on them is the high which will effect the low slightly, but not as much as having a low adjustment.
Thanks so much. I’ll let you know, and I appreciate the offer and help.

Yeah, I’m excited to get the 254 going. Who knows, maybe it’ll change me over to the “light” side of the force, as another brother on here put it ;)

The 180 ain’t half bad for limbing. I’m thinking I’m gonna love the 241 once I get it. I have one secured from a brother on here. Since I’ve spent about $1000 on saws this month, he was kind enough to hold it for me until I get the tax return.

I foresee that little unit getting a lot of use clearing trails in the woods.

So you have Stihls and an iPhone? NVM...go to Idaho. :D

LOL. I’m not an Apple fan, but when it comes to phones, I’ve had a lot less issues with my iPhones than my android phones. They just seem to work, where as every android phone I’ve had has always been buggy, and when they’d push out new patches the thing would be all goofy. With the exception of a few updates, my iPhones have been pretty rock solid.

I had a chance to buy my buddy's 261C when he retired. He probably would have let me have it. But, I bought his John Deere X540 with snow plow and leaf vac, so I was broke. He tossed in 4 echo's, 2 good runners, 1 runner that leaked fuel and a 750 with a bad electronic module. I wasn't going to ask him to throw in more. He gave me the maintenance folder and it had the receipts from when he bought the tractor, it was almost $12,000 with the attachments, and he let me have every thing for $2500. But, I think I would have been smitten by the 261.

I had a chance to buy my buddy's 261C when he retired. He probably would have let me have it. But, I bought his John Deere X540 with snow plow and leaf vac, so I was broke. He tossed in 4 echo's, 2 good runners, 1 runner that leaked fuel and a 750 with a bad electronic module. I wasn't going to ask him to throw in more. He gave me the maintenance folder and it had the receipts from when he bought the tractor, it was almost $12,000 with the attachments, and he let me have every thing for $2500. But, I think I would have been smitten by the 261.
Dang, you did get a deal!!

I need a decent loader tractor. I was gonna get a Kubota, but man they’re expensive. I can get a 70+ horse tractor with a loader for less than a 28 or so HP Kubota. I borrow my buddy’s Kubota every once in a while, and it sure is nice.

I need to find a money tree... LOL

Here’s the trail we’re working on. This will loop around to the bottom of the steep hill where the red oak is laying. All the chunks I bucked ip rolled to the bottom, which soon I’ll be able to get the tractor and splitter down there to split them up and haul them out.

Edit: ugh, they’re upright on my phone...

Technology...

Attachments

• F6E8165C-5670-483E-8AC4-57ED42C96702.jpeg
    F6E8165C-5670-483E-8AC4-57ED42C96702.jpeg
    545.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 617A4C9A-E6F3-452C-A399-A63418FAB897.jpeg
    617A4C9A-E6F3-452C-A399-A63418FAB897.jpeg
    607.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 13179B14-510B-470F-B8B8-3665ACC73744.jpeg
    13179B14-510B-470F-B8B8-3665ACC73744.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 23
Funny, but when Matt has a tough tree to fell, who does he call???? (The guy with all the Shihls???) (and ropes, and comealongs, and wedges - lot of em).

But no matter what you have, there is no substitute for knowing what you are doing!

Uncle Mustang, that’s the problem with reading and not talking, you can’t hear the sarcasm. Your saws kick butt, we all know it. You’re damn right, when I have a large or tricky tree to land.... you and your fleet are my first go to. Speaking of which, after tax season wait until you see the collection of trees Kent wants to drop at his property. He has a Hickory out back that had a good 60ft perfectly straight section. I told him you’re gonna try and convince him to mill it

Oh and speaking of Kent, you corrupted him with Stihls too. That 041 you gave him he ran for two years making firewood and then that 029/390 you sold him had made probably 30 cords and is still running strong. 20in bar on both make a good primary and backup plan.

His blood clots are doing well, no factor 5, whatever that is....

And he just passed the test, he is now a licensed chief financial officer in the state of NJ, hopefully he gets some more $$$ at his job at Bergen County

Wow. Go ice fishing for a couple days and miss a couple hundred posts! It was beautiful full moon nights and sunny days but cold. -27 at night and -15 during the day which made me feel marginally better about driving my truck out on the ice. Scrounged up some perch and a bunch of walleye.
7ac4ddf4e9dbf496a7b0b331a58ff8fd.jpg
ca27a2c0257fdcf360423c266a8c36e8.jpg
eca70e51e701cad37fe75033c28e53aa.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Wow. Go ice fishing for a couple days and miss a couple hundred posts! It was beautiful full moon nights and sunny days but cold. -27 at night and -15 during the day which made me feel marginally better about driving my truck out on the ice. Scrounged up some perch and a bunch of walleye.
7ac4ddf4e9dbf496a7b0b331a58ff8fd.jpg
ca27a2c0257fdcf360423c266a8c36e8.jpg
eca70e51e701cad37fe75033c28e53aa.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Good eating for sure!

Have never been ice fishing. One day, maybe.

Well ,,,
Big Sky day here so ...
LEIzvRs.jpg

a7xfrQs.jpg

But since there's so much ice on the road I made a management decision and opted to stay on the flat , the road narrows and has a very short steep hill on a curve at the end of that view plane lol
gglt0A1.jpg

The first place that I had stopped at was a bust :(
I cut 3 trees and all I got was
lXiflD1.jpg

But , the second was better
J86Dbif.jpg

equgXi8.jpg
QoPjXoR.jpg

On the way home I spied a couple of dead standing sugar maples so

c8Pcg9p.jpg

OtnqxX5.jpg

Fresh cut wood in the furnace tonight , that 32cc Kita works just fine , weighs nuthin Lol

I need a decent loader tractor. I was gonna get a Kubota, but man they’re expensive. I can get a 70+ horse tractor with a loader for less than a 28 or so HP Kubota. I borrow my buddy’s Kubota every once in a while, and it sure is nice.

I need to find a money tree... LOL
My BIL has an 18HP BX and it will do an amazing amount of work for what it is. My fishing buddy had two rental house's and a building lot. I always helped him maintain the driveway, patching pot holes with gravel. Took down lots of Oak trees. Posted lots of pics of his place. Now that he's sold all the property's, he told me to make an offer on his Nor Track 25HP diesel. One of his renters lost their job and had to move out on short notice. They told him to keep the tractor to cover their security deposit. It looked like brand new then. Now it's a little dented up and covered with sap. I think he'll let me have it for $1000. It's 4X4 with a loader, scraper box, and 4' bush hog. He also wants me to keep his 5X12 box trailer for him till he retires and moves to Florida, about 3 years.

Latest posts

Back