Used splitter is it worth it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like it. Run a couple of rounds thru it. If it works, it is well worth $300. I built my own and after using it a few years, I raised it up by going from a 14" wheel to a 16" wheel with taller truck tires. I love a horizontal splitter but if you run across many large rounds, a log lift is a must. When I first built my log lift, I used a $15 bottle jack to raise the lift. It was slow, but cheep, and worked just fine. It was years later before I added a spool valve and cylinder for the lift. I have made changes/additions to my home built splitter O about 7 or 8 times in the last 34 + or - years. My advice, by it, use it, see what you don't like about it, you are a welder, start remodeling. make it your own. Look at other home built splitters for ideas, but don't be afraid to use your own ideas, no matter how crazy the may be. I like being different and having a one of a kind splitter.

Has anyone tried rolling big rounds up on the splitter using ropes and a few small logs or milled boards for a ramp like they use back in the old days when building log cabins to get the logs up the the upper levels of the cabin? I wounder if that method would work.If your splitter is heavy enough or anchored down you could use a riding lawn mower to do the pulling.

If you had an A frame and a chain hoist might just work. Or work under a big tree with a big limb to attach the chain hoist to.

I picked up this troy built 27 ton for $200 bucks , looked brand new , the guy said he used it for 1 winter and split maybe a cord with it , So it would be worth investing a little money in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-230909.png
    Screenshot_20200209-230909.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20200209-230913.png
    Screenshot_20200209-230913.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20200209-230917.png
    Screenshot_20200209-230917.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
To the OP, I sold a home built splitter with a bad pump, and a brand new $99 dollar Harbor Freight motor, at an auction. A friend gave me the splitter and it only had a 1 gallon oil tank on it. It would run for just about a half hour and start getting hot. Another friend borrowed it and I told him , do not run it more than 30 minutes. he called and said the piston would not retract and oil was blowing 10 feet in the air from the tank vent. He tag teamed a pile of wood with his neighbor for 4 hours straight and burned up the pump. My wife got tired of me working on it so she bought me a new Huskkee on the terms I got rid of the 3 other splitters I had. Done deal. It sold for $400. I'd say a runner is worth $300.

The only thing that might have added a little value to my home built was they used a motor cycle trailer as a base so it had protected lights and a title. A professional welder built it so it looked store bought. They just screwed up by putting the little oil tank on it, because it was just sitting in the shop.

I bought one with a bad motor on it for $100. Put a Harbor Freight $100 motor on it and replaced all the hydraulic lines. I have a friend who does hydraulic lines so I got them for cost with me doing the work after hours. For $250 I got a really nice splitter that with rip through the gnarliest knots with ease.

To all of you young bucks out there, 50 comes up on you quick. I used to wrestle 400lb rounds onto mine, now I bust them before I put them in there. My Fiskars XL36 is a back saver.

I bought one a couple of years ago that was a non runner with a tree growing up thru the frame. I needed it like I needed a hole in my head but I had a vision that I wanted to rescue it and take it to my daughter & son in laws house in VA. to keep me from dragging my splitter up there. It looked good from a distance, about 150' out. I ended up replacing ever major component, the motor, pump, cylinder, spool valve, battery, fuel tank, overhauled the hydraulic tank, a new vent, several hydraulic fittings, even replaced the wedge. I reused the dry rotted hoses and tires. They looked rough but were/are still working. I enjoyed working on it. Good thing because I could have easily bought a brand new one for what I invested in parts to get the thing going. It is still in VA splitting 30 cords/year the last 2 years. They heat with a outdoor boiler so there is not a lot of splitting in 30 cords, big chunks. If you can get one that runs for $300, go for it.

One word of caution. Any pressure line that has a pin hole leak is dangerous, it can cut into skin if you get near it and then you can loose a hand or finger to an infection that will be amputated. Hydraulic fluid is nasty stuff. Stop and get new lines if it leaks.

One word of caution. Any pressure line that has a pin hole leak is dangerous, it can cut into skin if you get near it and then you can loose a hand or finger to an infection that will be amputated. Hydraulic fluid is nasty stuff. Stop and get new lines if it leaks.

Absolutely. High pressure fluid can cut like a knife instantly. most auto parts can make them up for you and a 4/5 foot hoses only cost 40/60 bucks. Better safe then sorry.

How big of a deal are the cracks in the outside of the hoses and how much are they to replace

Cracks on the outside rubber coatings not a big deal but that means the hoses are old. They have an inner steel braided reinforcement with an inner rubber hose. Most auto parts stores can make up a 4/5 foot cable with connectors for 50/60 bucks. Take the old one off so they can match the length and fittings for a proper fit.
They will last years as long as the don't get pinched or worn from rubbing on something.

Cracks on the outside rubber coatings not a big deal but that means the hoses are old. They have an inner steel braided reinforcement with an inner rubber hose. Most auto parts stores can make up a 4/5 foot cable with connectors for 50/60 bucks. Take the old one off so they can match the length and fittings for a proper fit.
They will last years as long as the don't get pinched or worn from rubbing on something.

Ok so aslong it doesn't leak I'm good

One other thing I noticed was he used 150 psi rated pipe fittings on the hoses. That cant be safe can it

I have a similar splitter, except it was built in 1985 by a now defunct company whose name I forgot.

Paid $400 about ten years ago.

The 8 hp Briggs burns oil, but stats on the second pull after sitting for a year.

Changed the hydraulic oil once, along with the engine oil, and it got a new plug this year.

I only put six or eight hours on it per year.

The low height bothered me, but now that I am ten years older, I like not having to lift those heavy rounds.

Ok so aslong it doesn't leak I'm good

If it develops a pin hole in the right place, at 3000psi it could be dangerous and cut you like putting your finger over the tip of a high pressure power washer. It will cut you then inject hydraulic fluid under your skin and into you blood veins. Not only will it be painful, it could be deadly. It's can mess you up big time. Spend 60 bucks and have some new ones made at your local Autozone and be safe. Just take them off and set them on the counter at your local oreillys auto parts and tell them to make you some new ones. They can make them up for you on the spot. It's not worth the risk. Chances are when it blows out it will just blow a big hole and fluid will go everywhere. Depends on how it blows and where it blows is what you gotta worry about. Don'y play around with 3000 psi. It can mess you up.

These hydraulic cylinders are a push/pull system. One hose goes to the rear of the cylinder, pushing it forward when to split a piece of wood and thats the high pressure side. The other hose goes to the front of the cylinder and pushes it back to the return position. Thats the low pressure side. If the high pressure side is the one that blows when under max pressure when you splitting a tuff piece of wood, and it blows, it's gonna be instantaneous and your not gonna be quick enough to react to it. And if any part of your body it to close to where it blows, it can and will mess you up.
On those tree spades the hoses are all gathered up in a bundle and I have seen one hose blow and the pressure will blow a hole into another hose that bundled with it.
Think of it as a 3000psi squirt gun. Be safe and have some new ones made, there not that expensive because there short and are easy enough to have made at most any local auto parts store.

Back