I was excited about my new Holzforma 070...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is just the clutch, no bushing with it. I know its good, I took it off a saw for a guy who was putting a very long bar on and I switched it to a 090 clutch.
I thought the only difference between the 070 and 090 The jug. What's the difference between the clutches?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I wonder if I would be better off with something like that.

Really, unless your planing on really long bar, probably not. A 090 clutch and drum set up will cost you more then you gave for that great piece of Chinese manufacturing you got.

Really, unless your planing on really long bar, probably not. A 090 clutch and drum set up will cost you more then you gave for that great piece of Chinese manufacturing you got.
What's your definition of a really long bar? I've got a 60 in.

I would just clean up the crank and use another chinesium clutch/sleeve. For $15 bucks you got nothing to loose. There are thousands of these things out there being run without "this particular" problem.

I have two 070 without any issues at this moment. The first one I got about three years ago has been doing a fantastic job. There have been a few small problem I have had to deal with. As compared to OEM I can not see any difference. As fas as assembly there might be some evidence that it was put together with out as
much care as could be. I have seen the same thing with OEM. For me the bottom line has been the cost of opperation. I do not know of any saw that Stihl currently manufactures that can compare with the 070 for any money. The 660 can not begin to keep up with a 070 for much more money. I have two 070's for under a $1000 with is much less than a 660 costs. The 660 type saw are good saws though and much lighter so it can be used for limbing which can not be said for the 070. For production the 070 just grunts away. Thanks

Apologies oh, I didn't mean to sound like a jerk. Been a rough morning.

That's what I'll do. It'd be nice to have a back up crankshaft though.

Put a new clutch spider and split bushing on. Didn't last long at all. Shredded the bushing.

Is the 090 6 shoe clutch and drum assembly compatible with the 070 crank?

Tapers are hard to do for some machinists. Metric tapers are worse.
I would lap in both tapers together by leaving the clutch drum off the shaft and assemble the clutch with tapered sleeve and pull outward and turn the spider right and left with lapping compound. Check the fit offer. A good pattern should look like the area is sand blasted. Taper fits need to be tight fits when tightened in place.
Torque specs?

Back