Husky or Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socalmisfit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What’s up guys first time posting, and I’m looking for a new saw. I’m in the hi desert of California and I do firewood in the cold season. Somewhere around 10-20 cords. I have the 455 rancher and it works good for what I do out here but I want to upgrade to a bigger saw for the bigger rounds. And maybe put a shorter bar on the 455 for the smaller stuff. I’m looking at the Stihl ms 391 or the husky 365. The 365 is more $ but for overall cc’s and power they are close. I will be putting the biggest bar I can on either saw a 25 on the stihl or a 28 on the husky. I guess the 460 rancher would be more comparable to the 391 but I want the bigger bar so 365 or 391?

There is a Stihl dealer in town but I wouldn’t say they are the greatest dealer. It is a hardware store and with a few hrs of looking on the internet I would probably know just as much or more about the products they sell. I work on my own stuff anyways so that don’t matter to me. I’ve had my husky and love the saw, I just know that stihl is a competitive brand to husky and was wondering your opinions on them.

Another question about the chains, if I do get the husky, what’s the difference between the .50 gauge, .58. Gauge, and the 3/8 solid. Thanks for the input.

Weclcome to AS. The 365 is a better saw in every aspect and is built like a pro saw. Grind out the transfers and you have a 372xp. The .050 and .058 is a regional thing and no real world difference between them. Buy what is popular in your area or shop online for bars and chains. 3/8” solid? Lost me there:laugh:

I can tell you now what answers you will get.
1. Dealer support, what dealers do you have access too?
2. Husky fanboys will say Husky, Stihl fan boys will say Stihl, a few will throw in Dolmar, maybe a few will mention Echo.
3. And then you will get the guys that laugh at the 455 and 460 Huskys since they are sold at Tractor Supply and Lowes.

I personally have several of each brand, and I like my Husqvarnas, but I also love my Stihls. I think either of the ones you mentioned would be good for a homeowner grade saw. If you are wanting a pro grade, look at the 562XP or the MS360. I have both and they both run great.

Welcome to AS @Socalmisfit. I think dealer support if you need it is something to look at. @chipper1 knows the hooskey stuff pretty good. He'll be along shortly. I'm a Stihl guy and I don't count the ace hardware stores as being a Stihl saw shop. I personally like my 462 for big wood. Good luck with whatever you get.

Oh boy! The over/under on this thread is 144 replies.

365 all day long. Yeah it's about 50% more $ but you get more with the potential to grow. Technically, Stihl wants you to use a 20-inch max bar on the 391. But if you're only using it occasionally, I guess it would be okay. Wait and see what the more experienced guys say; I'm a newbie.

I don't like sideshow Stihl dealers. Get .050 gauge 3/8 chain; probably more options in chain and guide bars than .058

2. Husky fanboys will say Husky, Stihl fan boys will say Stihl, a few will throw in Dolmar, maybe a few will mention Echo.
3. And then you will get the guys that laugh at the 455 and 460 Huskys since they are sold at Tractor Supply and Lowes.

I personally have several of each brand, and I like my Husqvarnas, but I also love my Stihls. I think either of the ones you mentioned would be good for a homeowner grade saw. If you are wanting a pro grade, look at the 562XP or the MS360. I have both and they both run great.

fan boy or not, anyone that would say 391 over 365 is just flat out crazy

Will the 562 keep up with the longer bar?

Like everybody else said...

With me not knowing how hard the logs you usually cut are, I’d just throw the caveat that 365-28 might be pushing it. I’ve run that setup before and compared to a 7900 Dolmar, swapping b/c between, the difference was noticeable indeed. The 7900-28 combo is the sweet spot for pulling a 28” in hardwood without having to swing a 390 or 066 or something like that. Something to consider.

I would get a 70cc saw or bigger for the really big stuff you showed. Think 32" B&C. If you get a 391, you are going to be looking again for an even bigger saw.

It's kinda tough to tell from the pics, but I'd much rather tackle that with a 20-24" bar on a 70cc saw. Yes, there will be some cuts from both sides, but the bars and chains are much cheaper and it's way faster to file or grind a 72 or 84dl chain. Also, it'll be a lot less cumbersome to carry around.

A 20" bar on a 70cc saw is a good setup for hardwood firewood. It's certainly more engaging than a 32" would be on that size saw; that would require a little patience. Get a 28" to hang on the wall and use when needed.

Weclcome to AS. The 365 is a better saw in every aspect and is built like a pro saw. Grind out the transfers and you have a 372xp. The .050 and .058 is a regional thing and no real world difference between them. Buy what is popular in your area or shop online for bars and chains. 3/8” solid? Lost me there[emoji23]
+1 on this

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back