Talk to me about 262's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it the early ones or the later ones that run stronger? Which cylinder and carb are preferable?

I have missed out on a couple for sale locally but keep my eyes peeled.

The earlier ones have a non-decomp Kolbenschmitt cylinder (KS), and a Walbro HDA-87 carb. The port timing makes them nicer than the mid production Mahle (non-decomp), and later Mahle decomp cylinders, which got paired with an HDA-120 or HDA-144 carb. Really only matters on a stock saw, because once you port it all numbers change and the later decomp Mahle may even be preferred due to decomp on a high compression 60cc cylinder.

The hDA-87 had a larger Venturi, and is more rare, but several members swap the HDA-120/144 jet and butterfly shafts into a HDA-199 body with nearly identical results as an HDA-87. The 87 is really only better at flowing more fuel on a ported saw; on a stock saw you probably won’t see any difference or care.

The early 262’s had a compartment in the handle for electronics that never made it to production. It’s just a neat little difference. The later ones had a tank/handle without a compartment.

The earlier ones had a crank driven Oiler- meaning they always oiled while the engine ran. But the later ones had a clutch driven Oiler so at idle they did not oil the bar.

Also the later 262’s had a reinforced crankshaft- the big end bearing went from like 12 to 13mm (?) or something. Also, the very early 262’s had no winter shutter built into the top cover. Later 262’s had a removable shutter for winter weather.

There are other minor changes such as to the muffler. In the end they’re all winners.

Stock take the early KS and 120 carb, they run the best. Ported give me a Mahle jug and a 120 carb, the 87 carb is finicky and sucks to hold a tune, you can modify a 199 or a variant but its a pain

pretty much. my mofo 262 with the ks non decomp cylinder is a real c-word to start sometimes. but once it lights up...look out!

Same with the ported ks 262 I had. I couldn't handle it actually. Had to part ways with it. You had to pull it over to TDC then throw it away from you while yanking on the cord with gusto. If you didn't do a hail Mary beforehand, your right shoulder was in for trouble.

Same with the ported ks 262 I had. I couldn't handle it actually. Had to part ways with it. You had to pull it over to TDC then throw it away from you while yanking on the cord with gusto. If you didn't do a hail Mary beforehand, your right shoulder was in for trouble.
al put a elastostart handle on it for me. didnt help that much haha. same thing tho, gotta make sure it passes the first magnet, then gotta be committed!

Yeah but what do you guys do when you have one that wont oil?tried different pumps,opened up the bar slot (18 inch total),new worm gear, vent open, different viscosity oils,sealed the oil intake tube to the pump with dirko,etc.Do these have priming issues?Doesn't leak,oils (A decent amount of oil comes out the port) without bar, Maybe pumps wont push any head?(uphill issues?)This is a 261 that runs like a raped ape(but dont oil!) Sorry about hijack, I'm running out of ideas.

It's a simple setup, try replacing the oil line itself, it.may have a hole.and not be creating the proper vaccum required.

Would that be the earlier builds?

Probably not relevant, and you can call me a fool anytime :happybanana: because I am...
But the only thing my neighbor told me about he's old 260 versus he's newer 261 was that that it was just a lot more responsive on the throttle.
He said that with a sigh, 262 that's just far out...I thought that was about Messerschmitt.

Everyone wants the KS non decomp. The best jug I’ve seen is the Mahle non-decomp in terms of port structure. Agree with Dustin.

The converted 198 carbs run the best. As trouble free as the 120 with the performance of the 87. Takes an hour or so to do the conversion. But the 198 went NLA. The 199 w the acc pump should be interesting to play with.

Great saw to mod. No need for the 87 unless the saw is ported. Same with the 3 shoe clutch. Once it’s ported, both are mandatory.

I prefer the decomp jugs for the real world. I add an elastostart many times, but they have a healthy diet of starter ropes without the 395 decomp installed.

This decomp jug will run with any ND. Its ranchdadmike’s.

6C62CF62-EBF2-41C6-9344-A391AC803C34.jpeg CFA4D681-4DE3-4BC7-B1CC-F8BFFEAA8506.jpeg 61968799-FD55-4C19-A121-CFDE844E5180.jpeg 8844CC57-8AA9-49D9-BCF3-2ECCE0FDA087.jpeg 00BA855D-BF52-4598-A0F7-E25554C006D4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back