The Official Axe Cordwood Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am cruising along right now. Very consistent in the evenings and Saturday. Axe shape is real.

I had been meaning to combine all my little piles but I hated to take the time to do it because combining stacks means I'm not chopping and adding to stacks. I went ahead and did it and all those seemingly meaningless little piles actually add up to something.

We had a beautiful mild day today and that did wonders.

One of my biggest issues is going from cold to sweat to cold to hot. Over and over even in a 1.5 hr time frame. It gets old real quick.

One of my biggest issues is going from cold to sweat to cold to hot. Over and over even in a 1.5 hr time frame. It gets old real quick.
I get that in the winter when I make wood. Sweating when I am swinging the axe and actually cold when I am stacking.

It's not fun. Once you get a good layer of sweat underneath the clothing it chills you to your bones but I'll get hot enough to start sweating again. Makes no sense.

I remember reading something about experienced extreme cold hunters saying they won't ever fully gear up until they reach where they're gonna sit because getting overheated and then sweating was so much more dangerous than just getting cold. My temps aren't toeing the line of death but it's still an interesting point.

Yesterday being extremely mild I found it no issue at all to control my temperature. The one time I started getting worked up doing a big log, I still came back to normal very easily.

Call this my big log challenge warm up.

This was a root rot that laid over in a storm. I fell it, probably 20 inches but hollow. I bucked a log off, just picking at it here and there. Then I decided to buck the round completely in one go. 15, maybe 16 inches. Took me 20 minutes and I was ripping. 2 or 3 breaks to catch my breath. At my normal chopping pace, it probably would have took 30 + minutes. I was SHOT when I finished it. Cherry on top was when I went to split it and every piece held on and tore to the final strands. A wood that typically splits like a dream.

IMG_20200203_142831452.jpg

Neat perspective. I'd be interested to know how long it would take using small pieces to get to the same volume.

IMG_20200203_143757668.jpg

IMG_20200130_115616814.jpg

I'm going to repost this. That's just beast status. Big diameter is a bigger jump with an axe. It compounds the effort because you're removing volume not just making a straight cut. I'll be on the lookout for something suitable this year. Nice work.

Today I completed the "Big Log" Mini-Challenge. I saved a 6' log that was 25" in diameter. White Ash.

tvSYb44.jpg

I'm going to repost this. That's just beast status. Big diameter is a bigger jump with an axe. It compounds the effort because you're removing volume not just making a straight cut. I'll be on the lookout for something suitable this year. Nice work.

Thanks, brother! It was a challenge for sure, wish my Arvika was performing better in dry, dead wood, (would have been perfect for that task) - but I ended up using my 2.0 kg Basque for the brute force, then my 3.5 lb Kelly Perfect Jersey to get down low and clear the notch. I should have done a staggered notch to widen it, probably would have gone faster, but oh well - it is in two pieces! I did some video footage f it on my YouTube channel, but near the end my battery died...

I got my 2.4 kg (5.25 lb) Basque Racer in the other day. Wholly Sh!t - what an axe! The grind is fairly conservative - 17.5 degrees, so I'm not too concerned about their precautions. I won't be chopping anything hateful with it, but I fear not any frozen wood or a knot'r two ;)

You're kickin a$$ yet again! You'll like finish first before anyone on AS - I wish I had more time, but until the days get longer I only have my weekends...

This weekend is looking like mild weather, and I've not got a lot on my agenda, so should take be slaying some timber here...

Thanks, brother! It was a challenge for sure, wish my Arvika was performing better in dry, dead wood, (would have been perfect for that task) - but I ended up using my 2.0 kg Basque for the brute force, then my 3.5 lb Kelly Perfect Jersey to get down low and clear the notch. I should have done a staggered notch to widen it, probably would have gone faster, but oh well - it is in two pieces! I did some video footage f it on my YouTube channel, but near the end my battery died...

I got my 2.4 kg (5.25 lb) Basque Racer in the other day. Wholly Sh!t - what an axe! The grind is fairly conservative - 17.5 degrees, so I'm not too concerned about their precautions. I won't be chopping anything hateful with it, but I fear not any frozen wood or a knot'r two ;)

This weekend is looking like mild weather, and I've not got a lot on my agenda, so should take be slaying some timber here...

I only did a 15 or 16 inch log so far but my notch was too narrow as well.

Nice! That may be the perfect axe but don't tell me if it is. :) I heard a guy on YouTube say they're not weighed by the head but it's a complete weight, I wasn't aware of that. I like comparing head weight since I can alter the handle.

Good deal. I watched the video but it's really hard for me to hear without cranking the sound way up and I didn't wanna wake up my family. That hit at the end of the round could have been bad. One of the first trees I bucked was mush and I blew through twice before I expected.

I only did a 15 or 16 inch log so far but my notch was too narrow as well.

Nice! That may be the perfect axe but don't tell me if it is. :) I heard a guy on YouTube say they're not weighed by the head but it's a complete weight, I wasn't aware of that. I like comparing head weight since I can alter the handle.

Good deal. I watched the video but it's really hard for me to hear without cranking the sound way up and I didn't wanna wake up my family. That hit at the end of the round could have been bad. One of the first trees I bucked was mush and I blew through twice before I expected.

Which YouTuber said it was total weight? If they said that, they're wrong or don't know how to read a scale. Mine weighs 2.58 kg with the handle, specs are a 2.4 kg racing axe, that's almost 200 grams of wood weight, or roughly half a pound, sounds about right.

Which part could have been bad, where I was bucking? Or was it from my previous video. Yeah, the sound is tough outside keeping the camera at a safe distance. I've tried using Bluetooth microphones, but the sound quality is like me talking through a phone. I don't want to be yelling at the camera, but I do try to talk loud. I don't know if I want to spend money on a professional mic set just to make YouTube videos...

Which YouTuber said it was total weight? If they said that, they're wrong or don't know how to read a scale. Mine weighs 2.58 kg with the handle, specs are a 2.4 kg racing axe, that's almost 200 grams of wood weight, or roughly half a pound, sounds about right.

Which part could have been bad, where I was bucking? Or was it from my previous video. Yeah, the sound is tough outside keeping the camera at a safe distance. I've tried using Bluetooth microphones, but the sound quality is like me talking through a phone. I don't want to be yelling at the camera, but I do try to talk loud. I don't know if I want to spend money on a professional mic set just to make YouTube videos...

It was Bushcraft Sisyphus. It's pretty obvious, especially in his older videos, that he's more of an axe junky type than a user. He owns one, at least, and knows how this works so he must have mispoke.

That's good to hear, I prefer that. Of the handles that I've weighed half a pound is what I'm seeing.

Bucking with the racer, blows through. Hitting the shin would ruin a day quick.

It's picking up the axe and the wind otherwise I would just crank it up. I'll try it on headphones and see if I can hear without blasting everything else.

Hell yeah you do. At this point you should already be quitting your job, telling your wife to quit her job, renting a Lamborghini and a townhouse. Self made, waking up at noon. If there's anything this #yolo generation has taught me, it's that. :)

It was Bushcraft Sisyphus. It's pretty obvious, especially in his older videos, that he's more of an axe junky type than a user. He owns one, at least, and knows how this works so he must have mispoke.

That's good to hear, I prefer that. Of the handles that I've weighed half a pound is what I'm seeing.

Bucking with the racer, blows through. Hitting the shin would ruin a day quick.

It's picking up the axe and the wind otherwise I would just crank it up. I'll try it on headphones and see if I can hear without blasting everything else.

Hell yeah you do. At this point you should already be quitting your job, telling your wife to quit her job, renting a Lamborghini and a townhouse. Self made, waking up at noon. If there's anything this #yolo generation has taught me, it's that. :)

Did he really say that? Was it a recent video of his? Lane is usually pretty knowledgeable on the topic, so that comes as a surprise. Perhaps he did misspeak. I know not long ago he did a video on a standard production Basque axe that was slightly modified with the Racing Handle and sent to him from Mr. José Ramon Juaregi himself after some complaints on the standard slip-fit thin handle. While Lane is more of a collector/purveyor, yes, but he's more a user than any of the Axe Junkie garden variety.

I see you you mean, but rest assured that the log behind it was there to stop any over-penetration on the final driving cut. I had a close call the day before with that heavy axe and did most of my bucking with a log behind the log that I was bucking. Needless to say, I ended up ordering a set of chainmail guards for my feet and shins. Check is in the mail and we'll get them shipped as soon as Mr. Simcox receives payment.

I'll tool around with a different microphone, because it does get tiresome Channing the sounds levels of each clip when editing to better hear my voice, and then the chopping is too loud. Nah, I'll stick to my regular gig and my own personal aspirations. The market is already flooded with bush and homesteading experts like Wranglerstar ... ;)

Did he really say that? Was it a recent video of his? Lane is usually pretty knowledgeable on the topic, so that comes as a surprise. Perhaps he did misspeak. I know not long ago he did a video on a standard production Basque axe that was slightly modified with the Racing Handle and sent to him from Mr. José Ramon Juaregi himself after some complaints on the standard slip-fit thin handle. While Lane is more of a collector/purveyor, yes, but he's more a user than any of the Axe Junkie garden variety.

I see you you mean, but rest assured that the log behind it was there to stop any over-penetration on the final driving cut. I had a close call the day before with that heavy axe and did most of my bucking with a log behind the log that I was bucking. Needless to say, I ended up ordering a set of chainmail guards for my feet and shins. Check is in the mail and we'll get them shipped as soon as Mr. Simcox receives payment.

I'll tool around with a different microphone, because it does get tiresome Channing the sounds levels of each clip when editing to better hear my voice, and then the chopping is too loud. Nah, I'll stick to my regular gig and my own personal aspirations. The market is already flooded with bush and homesteading experts like Wranglerstar ... ;)

Yeah, he also said that 675 grams was 3 something pounds so maybe he was having a bad day. What's interesting is I watched a video he did about the Stihl axe, quite a while back and I thought has this guy ever swung an axe, here is another review done by a guy who doesn't have a clue about the tool he is holding. Fast forward to a month ago, I start watching axe videos again, yadda yadda yadda, come across him and all the testing and videos he's done and it's obvious he's now competent. Never underestimate practice and repetition.

The video was called People's choice. Had the Basque, Stihl, and another I can't remember.

This was the Basque video, no log behind. I meant to start doing that and just never did. That's a good idea. These things can be unforgiving.

Is this with a smart phone? I'm not sure what others do, maybe they have the same issue. I have a GoPro for myself and my family but I'm never talking to it to know how well it handles different sounds.

Wranglerstar 2.0. Faster, stronger, even more ludicrous thumbnails. :)

Nice video C. :numberone:. Wish i was 30 years younger to do that.

Thanks, Steve - if I don't stretch properly and overdo it, I'll be feeling 30 years older by the next day...

Yeah, he also said that 675 grams was 3 something pounds so maybe he was having a bad day. What's interesting is I watched a video he did about the Stihl axe, quite a while back and I thought has this guy ever swung an axe, here is another review done by a guy who doesn't have a clue about the tool he is holding. Fast forward to a month ago, I start watching axe videos again, yadda yadda yadda, come across him and all the testing and videos he's done and it's obvious he's now competent. Never underestimate practice and repetition.

The video was called People's choice. Had the Basque, Stihl, and another I can't remember.

This was the Basque video, no log behind. I meant to start doing that and just never did. That's a good idea. These things can be unforgiving.

Is this with a smart phone? I'm not sure what others do, maybe they have the same issue. I have a GoPro for myself and my family but I'm never talking to it to know how well it handles different sounds.

Wranglerstar 2.0. Faster, stronger, even more ludicrous thumbnails. :)

I can understand that, I mess up my imperial/metric conversions all the time in videos when speaking off the cuff. I get them wrong about as often as I get them right. Yeah, he's come a long way, I think he needed to with some of the content he's been putting out, and especially so since he launched his line of artisan axes. Can't be a floppy axe swinger and expect people to respect your brand! That being said, for a while now Lane has been doing some absolutely impeccable restorations and work on old and new axes. He has a talent for sure. He's also a natural in front of the camera and is entertaining to watch and listen to.

Oh yeah, that was a close call. It was embarrassing, but I thought it was worth showing because one little slip up can spell disaster. Some other axe folks have suggested getting chainmail guards because I do a lot of bucking , and with a heavier and wickedly ground axe, it makes sense. Might actually be nice to not wear my heavy logging boots while chopping. I have some really great runners that are extremely comfortable with great traction and flexibility. Steel toe boots don't do anything to protect the side of your foot...

I have fond memories of watching Cody's channel years ago, but he's clearly sold out. Can't argue with his success, though... If only he wasn't such a butthurt douche I might still watch him. Plus he talks out of the both sides of his mouth. I happened upon a video of him by chance not but 2 weeks ago. He was changing the front caliper on his F-250 and starting going off about what brands of vehicles to buy, saying only buy American, but dismissed anything Mopar.... then said "don't buy anything European".... I've heard that outside of the frame of camera in his videos he drives an Audi. We all now how Audi drivers are... even BMW drivers don't like Audi folks ;)

I understand that, I mess up my imperial/metric conversions all the time in videos when speaking off the cuff. I get them wrong about as often as I get them right. Yeah, he's come a long way, I think he needed to with some of the content he's been putting out, and especially so since he launched his line of artisan axes. Can't be a floppy axe swinger and expect people to respect your brand! That being said, for a while now Lane has been doing some absolutely impeccable restorations and work on old and new axes. He has a talent for sure. He's also a natural in front of the camera and is entertaining to watch and listen to.

Oh yeah, that was a close call. It was embarrassing, but I thought it was worth showing because one little slip up can spell disaster. Some other axe folks have suggested getting chainmail guards because I do a lot of bucking , and with a heavier and wickedly ground axe, it makes sense. Might actually be nice to not wear my heavy logging boots while chopping. I have some really great runners that are extremely comfortable with great traction and flexibility. Steel toe boots don't do anything to protect the side of your foot...

I have fond memories of watching Cody's channel years ago, but he's clearly sold out. Can't argue with his success, though... If only he wasn't such a butthurt douche I might still watch him. Plus he talks out of the both sides of his mouth. I happened upon a video of him by chance not but 2 weeks ago. He was changing the front caliper on his F-250 and starting going off about what brands of vehicles to buy, saying only buy American, but dismissed anything Mopar.... then said "don't buy anything European".... I've heard that outside of the frame of camera in his videos he drives an Audi. We all now how Audi drivers are... even BMW drivers don't like Audi folks ;)

I wouldn't have even known most of the time but I had been looking at some axe heads measured in grams and had a frame of reference. Well he set up a comparison video, put it up in text, and said it, so it's not the same as saying it mid conversation but to err is human and he pumps out a LOT of material so I understand. Yeah, he seems very passionate about axes.

Not embarrassing at all. I've had that and other similar things happen. The only people who don't make mistakes don't do anything at all. This year and last I wore my Muck boots the entire time. The ground is too wet for anything else. I'll definitely try something lighter when the ground gets harder.

Haha. I honestly don't know much about the guy, when I first heard of him he was already big. In fact I didn't even see his videos, I read an article about people whose job was YouTube and it referenced him. I literally thought 'people make a living off this', then I looked him up and was even more confused. :) You got to sell out to eat out. If he drives his European car to get a Starbucks and picks up a movie his fans may start to get second thoughts on his credentials.

AXETRA AXETRA read all about ittttt!

(Corny huh? :cool: )

Rick 1

8 foot wide exactly, hair over 4 foot tall.

IMG_20200206_114128241.jpg

Rick 2

I already restacked the first one when I found two trees spaced at 8 foot and didn't feel like doing it again.

10 foot long, at least 4.5 tall. It does pyramid but mostly on one side, I feel comfortable saying it's a complete rick.

IMG_20200206_114038017.jpg

Final rick.

After I completed my other two ricks, I combined the little piles I had around and to my compete astonishment I was almost done.

8 foot long on the dot. ( Got smart and found the trees before I started stacking.) 48-52 inches tall.

IMG_20200207_151106693.jpg

Another year, another cord.

I started on a beautiful New year's day, 2-3 hours. Hurt my hand on something unrelated and was out for a few weeks. When I came back I just got into a groove. 1-2 hours nearly every evening for 2 weeks. Didn't even think about it, just repetition. Finished on February 7.

I chopped Poplar, Sassafras, Beech, Cherry, Gum, White Oak, Red Oak, Maple.

Used quite a few different axes I had been playing with. My 4 pound, 5 dollar Michigan pattern that I put on a hand carved handle easily saw the most use. No splitting axe, used whatever axe I had in my hand. Nothing was a hard splitting wood besides the gum.

Think that's about it.

AXETRA AXETRA read all about ittttt!

(Corny huh? :cool: )

Rick 1

8 foot wide exactly, hair over 4 foot tall.

View attachment 799037

Rick 2

I already restacked the first one when I found two trees spaced at 8 foot and didn't feel like doing it again.

10 foot long, at least 4.5 tall. It does pyramid but mostly on one side, I feel comfortable saying it's a complete rick.

View attachment 799038

Final rick.

After I completed my other two ricks, I combined the little piles I had around and to my compete astonishment I was almost done.

8 foot long on the dot. ( Got smart and found the trees before I started stacking.) 48-52 inches tall.

View attachment 799039

Another year, another cord.

I started on a beautiful New year's day, 2-3 hours. Hurt my hand on something unrelated and was out for a few weeks. When I came back I just got into a groove. 1-2 hours nearly every evening for 2 weeks. Didn't even think about it, just repetition. Finished on February 7.

I chopped Poplar, Sassafras, Beech, Cherry, Gum, White Oak, Red Oak, Maple.

Used quite a few different axes I had been playing with. My 4 pound, 5 dollar Michigan pattern that I put on a hand carved handle easily saw the most use. No splitting axe, used whatever axe I had in my hand. Nothing was a hard splitting wood besides the gum.

Think that's about it.

Bravo, Sir - Bravo!

I don't know what you do for a living, but I wish I had more free time during the winter. For me, I have only my weekends until the days get longer to where I still work in daylight when I get home from work. Pretty sure you're first this. Another notch for Team AS! - Cheers!

Bravo, Sir - Bravo!

I don't know what you do for a living, but I wish I had more free time during the winter. For me, I have only my weekends until the days get longer to where I still work in daylight when I get home from work. Pretty sure you're first this. Another notch for Team AS! - Cheers!

Thank ya.

Yeah, 1 or 2 hours most evenings and then a few hours on Saturday.

I walked out in some light rain and walked in with some but was fortunate to not have to deal with that either.

I'd take any season over winter so there's plenty of good chopping left. Besides the horrid 90+ and humidity it only gets better.

Last year I knew I wasn't gonna continue with the axe and I certainly didn't and lost track of the thread and axe content as well. This year I'm planning on keeping up with the axes myself and seeing what others are up to. Definitely keep updating the thread with your progress/videos, I'll be looking for it.

Back