Stihl 046 ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would would check from the switch to the coil, then the air gap, if that’s to wide the spark will be weak. Check the plug wire, terminal end and the coil end, make sure they have no corrosion and good contact

Let us know if the flywheel is the culprit. I have only seen one flywheel go bad , it was on my dads Sachs Dolmar 116.
I've seen several bad ones but it was because they came loose and destroyed themselves. Ebay offered me a deal on this or I wouldn't have bought it or I would have waited until I was sure.

As a general idea for you guys that think you have a weak spark.... take an old plug and clean it. Open the gap to about .060 inches. If it jumps this distance then it is NOT weak and will fire under compression. Most of my coils have been bad or good, not weak.
Let me go on record that I really don't believe the flywheel or the new module is bad, I kinda think that maybe the kill wire was shorted or maybe they had the saw turned off when they tried to start it the last time or possibly a bad ground. I'm just doing what they asked me to by ordering parts. If it was my saw I wouldn't throw parts at it unless I could use the parts for spares. Since I've never owned an 046 I probably wouldn't want any spares around to take up space.

Hey i may have your answer..take filter cover, filter, intake flange and black baffle off. Check to make sure the selector switch is actually on when it says its on. Sometime they can get twisted so that the coil is actually killed when in the on position. Dont ask me how i know.

Then if it runs I'll check out the rest of it. I just hope we didn't buy a bad module even though it is new...I guess I can get a refund but it's kind of a hassle..Some places don't like to take electronic components back but I know ebay makes them do it...

Yeah you can definately get your money back on ebay. If it is bad i have a known good aftermarket 046 coil that is new 10$ shipped

I brought the saw home to tinker on for awhile. First of all it does have spark with the new coil, not the hottest looking spark I've ever seen however but it's there. I'm a little older than you younger saw users and have trouble pulling the saw over quickly, even with de-comp pressed in but I doubt this amount of spark is enough to start this thing. I put a new plug in it also. Next I plan to check the gap between the coil and the flywheel to make sure it's in the ball park...if that's okay then I'll probably wait for the replacement flywheel to come in Friday.

Next I plan to check the gap between the coil and the flywheel

On I think every small engine I’ve ever done it on I’ve just mounted the coil with a folded over piece of paper between it and the flywheel. Never had any issues. I’ve always assumed that’s almost .010, I’ve been told most standard paper is around .004.

What’s the spec usually??

Well, guess what? I don't think the ignition had anything to do with it! Brought the saw home to tinker and after reading forums a bit I decided to go out and check the compression of the saw..It turned out to be 80 psi. so it wouldn't have started no matter what we did to the ignition. When I first pulled it over it was hard to pull like it had compression so I looked elsewhere and the spark did look weak and that's what the people in the shop were working on so I followed suit. I should have caught on when I squirted a little fuel in the cylinder and it still wouldn't hit on the weak spark, usually they'll hit a little bit if there's any spark at all assuming there's compression...I'm now awaiting further instructions from owner as to what he wants to do with the saw...

Well, guess what? I don't think the ignition had anything to do with it! Brought the saw home to tinker and after reading forums a bit I decided to go out and check the compression of the saw..It turned out to be 80 psi. so it wouldn't have started no matter what we did to the ignition. When I first pulled it over it was hard to pull like it had compression so I looked elsewhere and the spark did look weak and that's what the people in the shop were working on so I followed suit. I should have caught on when I squirted a little fuel in the cylinder and it still wouldn't hit on the weak spark, usually they'll hit a little bit if there's any spark at all assuming there's compression...I'm now awaiting further instructions from owner as to what he wants to do with the saw...
Pull the muffler and check for scoring, may just be stuck rings.

If he wants Chi-Com parts run away..........

Back