Cedar wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Does anyone burn cedar wood? Not for heat so much as for aroma. I know it burns well and puts of a pretty bluish flame but I'm not sure how long it burns or how much heat it gives off compared to any of the oaks or other wood people burn.

I had some 2 foot rounds that has been sitting on a pallet for over 10 years and today I decided to crack a few rounds open to see what they looked like on the inside. The first thing I found was a nest of wood carving bees witch I quickly sprayed with some carb cleaner to kill them off. The next thing I found was some beautiful smelling cedar aroma and a pretty deep red color and looked like it was brand new wood.
However I have heard cedar is bug resistant but I did find a few termites in the sap wood and even some deep in the heart as well.
My question is do people burn it for heat or just for aroma? Does it create a lot of creosote build up?
Any thoughts!

I’ve burned cedar in the past. Mostly for quick warm ups in the morning. It does light easy. Can’t comment on smoke, aroma or creosote buildup. As I don’t remember. I do have a few cedar trees I have to drop so I will be using the wood in the future.

Red Cedar burns well. The decorative White Cedar and Arborvitae people plant here is ultra light and burns fast. Not nearly so rot resistant as the Red varieties. I also assume you're talking the invasive Red Cedar that has pretty much taken over all of the southern plains. At least its an easy, plentiful source of wood

When you say cedar I am assuming you mean the southern species that looks like a juniper?

I'm not familiar with any Cedar that looks like a Juniper, maybe I will get to see some in a couple weeks.

Around here, we don't get Junipers 28" DBH and 110' tall, like the Cedars we had taken out of our yard.;)

I practiced with the Granberg CSM on some of it(we had 3 Cedars removed) still have some left to mill, and ended up burning about 1 1/4 cords of it, it burned better than I expected, I had no doubts that it would burn well, but it didn't burn as Fast and Hot as I expected it would, I also expected more sparks than it produced. It wasn't a LONG burning wood, but it did produce BTU's, and that was better than having it hauled off, or giving it away

I sure wouldn't drive to the woods looking for Cedar, but from out of our yard, I'll burn it. in the past we always valued it as Kindling, and as already mentioned it is EXCELLENT for that use, one of the Best. We didn't notice any excessive ash or creosote build up, Not my preferred wood, but I will burn it, when it is easy to get, I will take it.

Doug :cheers:

I removed a 70’ one from a lady’s yard and burned it up. Wife complained of the smell. It lit like a dream. Small ones burned fast, but big splits did really well.
I burn lots of crap, but after burning almost a cord it looks like my bird guard on top of the chimney is pretty greasy looking.
I wouldn’t burn it in an open fireplace because of the pops. I’d do it again if I get another tree job vs burn piling it. Just split it on the very large side. And save up the less than 4” stuff for kindling.

We have a lot of red cedar around here. Years ago when I sold firewood the fire place folks liked the red cedar. Starts easy burns nice and smells nice. Today the red ceder go on the brush piles and really help to get the brush piles going.

Eastern red cedar and sassafras are pretty much all I burn for kindling. Bigger cedar pieces rarely see the stove. It's such a pretty and unique wood I try to use it for other things. I'm not cutting it all day everyday though.

It's the kind that grows hear in Texas and farmers bulldoze it into piles and burn it because that say it sucks up all the water from surrounding trees. It looks like cedar and grows like cedar and smells like cedar. I have heard it called juniper. It has a white sap wood with a deep red heart wood. Not sure what variety of cedar it is.
I would post pics but since tiny pic shut down, I have a hard time posting pictures on this site.

I made a bunch of Scandinavian candles from cedar chunks. They will be ready this year.

But whenever I salvage any cedar from jobs (unpainted), then I use it for kindling. Last few years I had leftover cedar siding which worked great. This year I had leftover cedar deck boards.
I cut everything into 6" long pieces, and keep buckets full of the pieces. I use a hatchet to split them into kindling when I need.

But when I get a tree, I do the candles.

I made a bunch of Scandinavian candles from cedar chunks. They will be ready this year.

But whenever I salvage any cedar from jobs (unpainted), then I use it for kindling. Last few years I had leftover cedar siding which worked great. This year I had leftover cedar deck boards.
I cut everything into 6" long pieces, and keep buckets full of the pieces. I use a hatchet to split them into kindling when I need.

But when I get a tree, I do the candles.

I've been trying some out just to see how well it works. Makes the house smell like a cedar closet. Burns fast though and hot. Might be a good Christmas time aromatic wood for the holidays. I'm gonna save some for next Christmas and see if it sells.

Latest posts

Back