Found another stray 288 - how to get him home?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably just put the bar in a FedEx triangle box and send it ground. They are 34 or 36 inch IIRC.

In my neck of the woods, I don't have to worry about signature very often and I'm hoping for a good negotiation.

Bars are notorious for escaping boxes. If you put it in a tube like that, securely tape some big wads of paper or cardboard to each end so the bar can't exert as much pressure on a small area of the package.

DO NOT ship bar and chain in the same box. Pack the bar separately from the saw. The bar in double to triple thick Cardboard shouldn't be too much to ship. A long bar will totally F the pricing if you use a box long enough to fit both.

Drain the saw of fluids. I like to leave the cap off of the fuel for a while so the fumes can evaporate.

Then either remove the bucking spike or wrap it up in cardboard as that will raise havoc with your saw box.

Put the saw in one garbage bag then a second one. Then I like to get a blanket from the dollar store and wrap it up with that then tape that up. Then put it in your box and either full the box with packing peanuts, bubble wrap, empty soda/water bottles. smaller cardboard boxes, or a mixture of the aforementioned.

Measure and weigh your boxes. Get shipping quotes for each from Fedex, UPS, and USPS. Ship through the cheapest vendor.

Bars are notorious for escaping boxes. If you put it in a tube like that, securely tape some big wads of paper or cardboard to each end so the bar can't exert as much pressure on a small area of the package.
Just folding one layer of cardboard over each end and tightly taping it will do the trick. Anything to avoid a sawing action as the box jiggles in transport.

fill the box with packing peanuts,
I'm done talking to you :baba:.
I thought we were friends, then I find out you ship with packaging peanuts :crazy2:.
I use the ones some guys ship me, I usually put them in plastic bags from the store and then tie them up well, I hate those things:sucks:. If you package a saw in them with no other packaging the saw will move all over in the box. When I'm finished boxing a saw up I shake the box, if the saw moves its not done yet.
Did I say I hate packaging peanuts o_O.

A friend of mine will always include peanuts in anything he ships to me because he knows I hate them. He got me once real good with a large envelope. I totally wasn't expecting it and just emptied the entire contents out on to a table, with the peanuts flying everywhere and the floor.
I always decline a bar unless it's a bit special. When I get a 'new' saw, I am always looking to mate a bar to it, and almost always end up buying new anyways...

I've shipped quite a few saws with no issues after draining the gas and oil. Stuff the saw in a drum liner (i.e. 55 gallon heavy garbage bag). Box it up with some broken up styrofoam I've hoarded from previous deliveries.

Anyone who suggests packing peanuts should be sent boxes full of packing peanuts and MiniMac saws. Peanuts are ridiculously expensive to begin with.

I'm done talking to you :baba:.
I thought we were friends, then I find out you ship with packaging peanuts :crazy2:.
I use the ones some guys ship me, I usually put them in plastic bags from the store and then tie them up well, I hate those things:sucks:. If you package a saw in them with no other packaging the saw will move all over in the box. When I'm finished boxing a saw up I shake the box, if the saw moves its not done yet.
Did I say I hate packaging peanuts o_O.
LOL.

I would never buy packing peanuts but if they are sitting around in another box at my house I am not above re-using them to ship.

@chipper1 it helps a lot. Thank you for taking time to detail that! I'm probably gonna pay more than I should for it but so what; if it passes muster, I'll try to make the best deal I can. And you are right... PNW. Shipping to the Mississippi Delta. If the bar is in decent shape I'll want to keep it as part of the memento; if it's workable, I'll run it.
What are you paying for that?

LOL.

I would never buy packing peanuts but if they are sitting around in another box at my house I am not above re-using them to ship.
I think I have something to ship to you:laughing:.
I bought a carb kit on eBay a few weeks ago. It came in a small bubble mailer envelope. Inside was the carb kit and two packing peanuts. Cracked me up.
That is funny.
I got some double bevel files the other day, they were in three bubble envelopes, my son says well at least they won't be broke, I said we'll see. You never know especially with a flat file, I'd have rather it been shipped in a flat rate box inside two of those envelopes, but they were fine :).

Update: Well the dream may be over. I pulled it mostly apart today. It's got a velocity stack and a lot of fine dust and debris in the carb throat. Definitely needs a carb rebuild. Plug hole inspection was pretty good; cylinder walls don't look bad but the piston top is pretty black. Missing a starter pawl. Missing the chainbrake guts. I didn't measure compression but it feels like 60-70psi. Missing several screws but the crankcase and plastics are all good. It's been run pretty hard. It's a 150-200 saw but not a 350 saw. The bar has a slight bow to it but it's not abused. If it was closer to home I might make an offer; being so far away changes the equation. I have another day to decide.

Update: Well the dream may be over. I pulled it mostly apart today. It's got a velocity stack and a lot of fine dust and debris in the carb throat. Definitely needs a carb rebuild. Plug hole inspection was pretty good; cylinder walls don't look bad but the piston top is pretty black. Missing a starter pawl. Missing the chainbrake guts. I didn't measure compression but it feels like 60-70psi. Missing several screws but the crankcase and plastics are all good. It's been run pretty hard. It's a 150-200 saw but not a 350 saw. The bar has a slight bow to it but it's not abused. If it was closer to home I might make an offer; being so far away changes the equation. I have another day to decide.
Forget about it! Buy a nice one off one of the guys on here.

Back