McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out to the garage tonight to snap.some pics of the 7-10 for Poge. While I was out there I thought "what the hell" and blew the 1-86 apart again. I was very disappointed about how my "restoration" turned out last winter. The fuel tank gasket leaked and ruined my paint plus the oiler refused to oil and the gearbox was leaking as well. Ugh. Does anyone have suggestions for a sealer to use with the gaskets? I made the gaskets myself from Felpro Karropak but they all leaked.

Im going to take the body parts to work and blast them and start over.

I am also looking for a good handlebar for this. It has the wrong one on it and someone modified the bracket to fit this tank. I think this o e might be for a 55 or a D44. It looks like I need the same one that is in my 440. Need the bracket too. Will gladly pay a fair price for one.
1bb6cd618c514af4dbd1ff1f24d20ab3.jpg
a0799c93bdb59c9eaff5e5d29a4fdbd4.jpg
75085abefcfecdc8a6241ba3cf5af576.jpg
02b5101c1ff0e949d01692e623c1b5be.jpg

I tried explaning to bob the saga of the 7-10 and all 70cc talk. He just said that he has never split hairs on them like that and didnt really know.

I had a lengthy conversation with Bob about the 70cc top end discussion regarding Kevin's 7-10 mystery. He became quite intrigued after he began to realize how much hair splitting has actually gone into the subject/project thus far. He understands (or recalled?) the ring differences now, too. But even after all that, he's still going with an air leak as the cause of the problem (even though I explained the lengths to which Mark went in testing it). He's genuinely interested and wants to be kept posted on whatever ends up being discovered. Gotta love it. He still has a remarkably youthful zest about him for hitting 80 this week! On the other hand, seems like he told me he 'was turning 80 this week' when I talked to him last spring, too. LOL We're very lucky to still have Bob among us.

Does anyone have suggestions for a sealer to use with the gaskets?

Motoseal is pretty much the "go to" sealant for me in a pinch for fuel related issues, though DirkoHT is what I normally prefer and use for just about everything. Folks think it's a Stihl product because Stihl uses and recommends it, but it's made by another German company called Elring who's been making sealing products for the Euro auto and mechanical industry for decades. Priced about the same as the other popular products if you shop around. Just don't go to a Stihl dealer for it. MotoSeal 1 Grey is a Permatex product and widely available.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Yamabond/MotoSeal/Dirko etc. are gasket makers not gasket sealers. As in they are to be used in the absence of a gasket?
I believe you are correct, however I have already tried permatex spray gasket sealer and Indian head gasket dressing with no luck on this

I may eliminate the fuel tank gasket all together, I used Dirko on a homelite tank and it is holding up fine so far.

I went out to the garage tonight to snap.some pics of the 7-10 for Poge. While I was out there I thought "what the hell" and blew the 1-86 apart again. I was very disappointed about how my "restoration" turned out last winter. The fuel tank gasket leaked and ruined my paint plus the oiler refused to oil and the gearbox was leaking as well. Ugh. Does anyone have suggestions for a sealer to use with the gaskets? I made the gaskets myself from Felpro Karropak but they all leaked.

Im going to take the body parts to work and blast them and start over.

I am also looking for a good handlebar for this. It has the wrong one on it and someone modified the bracket to fit this tank. I think this o e might be for a 55 or a D44. It looks like I need the same one that is in my 440. Need the bracket too. Will gladly pay a fair price for one.
1bb6cd618c514af4dbd1ff1f24d20ab3.jpg
a0799c93bdb59c9eaff5e5d29a4fdbd4.jpg
75085abefcfecdc8a6241ba3cf5af576.jpg
02b5101c1ff0e949d01692e623c1b5be.jpg

So first off, I feel your pain. There is nothing worse than having the paint lift immediately after you've finished a restoration. Been there, done that at least 3 times....

I also use karropak gasket material to make all my own gaskets. My recommendation is the use the thicker stuff, I think its ~1/16" or so thick? Then for gas tanks, both sides of the casting get a layer of motoseal/dirko/equivalent and the gasket. Yes the gasket can weep a little bit, but it won't leak. I do this for crank cases too if im worried. I've also used a gasket fixative spray. I'd do the same for the gearbox.

I can't really help you with the handle bar, the only spares I have are for the D44 series of saws. Good luck!

So what is the deal with the original paint on these old Mac tanks? The aluminum oxide in the blast cabinet at work wont touch it. I wanted to strip this right down to bare metal and get a good paint job on it instead of just painting over the old crap like I did before but how the hell do I strip this lol.
3cbb3488a4d237314fac0a21ab242f4b.jpg

So what is the deal with the original paint on these old Mac tanks? The aluminum oxide in the blast cabinet at work wont touch it. I wanted to strip this right down to bare metal and get a good paint job on it instead of just painting over the old crap like I did before but how the hell do I strip this lol.

yeah, one thing I will give McCulloch credit for is being able to make paint stick. No one else (Remington, pioneer, etc.) seemed to be able to do it.

I've had good success with a coarser abrasive (30 grit crushed glass) and higher air pressure (120psi), but yes, it is slow going.

I've used Citristrip to soften up the hard paint. I've heard aircraft paint stripper works well too. Use epoxy based paint, it's fuel proof.
As far as gaskets go, scrape and clean the surfaces with brake cleaner before you put on the Moto-seal, then gasket, then more Moto-seal.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Yamabond/MotoSeal/Dirko etc. are gasket makers not gasket sealers. As in they are to be used in the absence of a gasket?

They'll obviously work in either application but are typically more desirable in 're-entry' types of conditions when parts separation for service or other reasons is anticipated and you don't want to fight with a hardened or semi-hardened traditional gasket sealer.

Dirko and MotoSeal are definitely the desirable products when it comes to petroleum exposure and/or high heat conditions such as cases, base gasket deletes, and of course, leaky Mac fuel tank gaskets. They're all I'll use anymore.

For some reason I decided to paint my pro mac 60 don't ask me why but lets just say it was apart so why not. I used a wjre wheel
on my grinder couldn't get it all so painted over it, turned out not bad for 1.99 rustoleum at the dollar store and some clear made for
wheels, hope the color is close. Will post picture when back together. Going to do a test with fuel mix to see what happens.
Paint does come off hard but it does seem to wear off in time

Back