Diesel chainsaw.?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone make a diesel chainsaw yet?

I’m thinking a 10,000 watt generator / welder combo, diesel tractor, two 275 gallon oil tanks. Part of my survival plan?

Ive seen diesel dirt bikes from the army, I would not be surprised in the least an army issued diesel chainsaw. However I highly doubt there is anything that we could purchase unless it’s milsurp if that were the case.

RC cars use a type of diesel, I don’t see why It couldn’t be applied to chainsaws...
There is slightly less potential energy in diesel but it is denser which I think makes it slightly more powerful as fuel source

Bamse was another. Acres site has an article on them, I just skimmed it. The Bamse was not a diesel, just an interesting saw that was added to the article. The first diesel saws had sealed handle bars that were used to store propane. There was a small propane torch that heated a glow plug to get the saw started. Later saws had a box with 2 "D" cell batteries to heat the glow plug.

Diesel has more potential energy than gas. But it's not really suitable for two stroke (burns to slow) and 4 stroke is to heavy a design.
I hydrolic chainsaw, powered by a diesel tractor on the other hand, works great.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Wonder which would be more punishing; a cold start or hot start.
I noticed the can of ether... cold start.
Would a hot start yank your arm out of socket? Happy happy joy joy...

Diesel generator-set and electric saw = diesel saw

Diesel has more potential energy than gas. But it's not really suitable for two stroke (burns to slow) and 4 stroke is to heavy a design.
I hydrolic chainsaw, powered by a diesel tractor on the other hand, works great.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk
Good point, probably why diesel is always turbocharged on the older 2 stroke trucks, such as the screaming jimmy

Good point, probably why diesel is always turbocharged on the older 2 stroke trucks, such as the screaming jimmy
2 stroke diesels have to either have a blower (supercharger) or turbo. They need the added pressure to push exhaust gases out on the bottom of the down stroke while forcing new clean air in before the intake valves are covered by the piston to start the compression stroke. 2 stroke diesels are really interesting (Detroits). They are probably the most effective means to turn fuel into noise and smoke.

just running some numbers. 14:1 compression ratio (low end for a diesel) would be about 190 psi on the gauge. 18:1 would be closer to 250 psi.

Back