milling chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Available at your local dealer? Doubtful.

Available through mail., fed ex etc. from sponsors on this board? certainly.

What do you mean by "milling chain?" 10 degree angled cutters? 5 degrees? skipchain? Granberg-style skip with thin cutters? There are all kinds of "milling chain."

I basically buy standard 30/35 degree skip chain and file the cutters down to my desired angle. I prefer to stop at a 15 degree angle though most prefer 10 degrees and some 5 degrees. I find 15 degrees to be a compromise between smoothness and aggressiveness that works for the surface quality that I desire. I'm gonna' router plane it any way so I don't really try to get the smoothness that some desire in their milling (though I don't want washboard that will require me to take of "too much" when planing.)

My local shop didn't have a roll, but the local Oregon/stens/whatever warehouse did. Just had to tell them how many dl. The shop charges $0.5/driver. Other shops in the area are $0.55/driver, some shops do a buy one get one 50% off deal. You never know until you call.

On the west coast we are spoiled with lots of decent saw shops.

Back