Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have some crazy weather here. Nearly at freezing point yesterday, 20's overnight. Now the wind has picked up and it's on it's way to -22 overnight. Then looking at a high of 40 next week.
Yeah, this winter has been nuts. Everyone was saying it was gonna be a really bad winter, so I made sure we had more wood than we’ve ever had split, stacked, and ready. Not a bad thing, because I’ve hardly used any of it. Just means less work for next year.

I’m hoping to get a few years of wood stocked up, then sell some to help support this oncoming chainsaw habit.....

Fuel and oil changes are the killer for a diesel, I sold my f350 crew cab when diesel was just under $4, for a bit it was at 4.50 a gallon up here. The good thing is I was driving then and the speedway rewards program gave you .10 per dollar spent on fuel not per gallon(they changed it not long after lol), so I was filling the ford up every other week for free, the semi I was driving only got 4.8-5.2 mpg so I was racking up the points pretty quite.
I like the one in the picture, 5 speed with manual windows and steering, it does have A/C though :). My old eg got much better fuel economy, I checked it over 8k and it got 38.56 mpg and I got on that little 1.5 L pretty hard, I liked it better except the red paint. I have a 2000 insight that I hope to get on the rd again some day, the lifetime average on the car is 54mpg, it's nice for chasing down saws and generators.
View attachment 797487
I was always into the EF hatch backs and CRXs. There all rot boxes around here now. After the EFs honda followed the make it a round blob with no character theme that seemed to rule the early to mid 90s. Most of my civics were pounded relentlessly so fuel mileage wasn't a top priority. I had a 90 CRX SI that's on my short list of cars I'd like back. Others on that list are the 79 fox with 351W swap, the 2 more doors sleeper civic, and my 93 240sx.

Well, good and bad news from my local dealer.

Good news: they replaced the carb on the Wife’s MS180 for free, and I dropped off the 254 to be fixed.

Bad news: While my MS310 has 140psi of compression, the cylinder wall and piston are scored on the exhaust side :( I wanted it checked over before I list it for sale online. I’m glad I did. Looks like a parts saw now...

Well, good and bad news from my local dealer.

Good news: they replaced the carb on the Wife’s MS180 for free, and I dropped off the 254 to be fixed.

Bad news: While my MS310 has 140psi of compression, the cylinder wall and piston are scored on the exhaust side :( I wanted it checked over before I list it for sale online. I’m glad I did. Looks like a parts saw now...

Isn't that one of the clamshell saws you can put a 390 top end on??? If so, Huztl sells em cheap, and they work fairly well. Just make sure you check the bevels on the ports.

I built an 029 to 390 for Matt's BIL, and he has been using it for over 2 years and loves it. Did a little muff mod and timing advance.

A Ford Excursion is almost as rare as a unicorn around here :(
But , this one has a rebuilt transmission/transfercase , set me back 500$ and I had to put 300$ into it to pass a 2 year road legal I figure why not .
Polly regret that decision later Lol

Well , the buyers remorse sure didn't take long Lol
Drove it home on the maiden voyage to listen to a bad wheelbearing , drove it back to the shop to blow a rear tire , scrounge a free tire , replace the bearing , send it to my alignment shop to have the transmission loose reverse when they backed off the rack ...

Anyone got an Ef2Fiddy for sale ?
And to think , all the local Chevy boys were envious of my score Lol

does it run?

Oh year, it runs awesome. In fact I used it today to limb a pine so the cattle can get under the tree foe cover; in anticipation of this snow.

I bought this saw new, and it’s been a great saw for about 14 years. Always ran good fuel (100LL with the occasional 87 mix if I was cutting with someone and ran out of my fuel).

I added a custom muffler to it about 5-6 years ago, but had it installed and tuned by the local stihl only dealer.

Not sure what happened.

Attachments

• 5F508779-0BAC-4745-B828-B601C92162C8.jpeg
    5F508779-0BAC-4745-B828-B601C92162C8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • A238E065-DC8E-4DFD-8C69-B1E06663A590.jpeg
    A238E065-DC8E-4DFD-8C69-B1E06663A590.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
Isn't that one of the clamshell saws you can put a 390 top end on??? If so, Huztl sells em cheap, and the work fairly well. Just make sure you check the bevels on the ports.

I built an 029 to 390 for Matt's BIL, and he has been using it for over 2 years and loves it. Did a little muff mod and timing advance.
That’s nota bad idea!

Went to start a fire this evening because the wife was cold. Decided a nice piece of cedar on top of the kindling would be nice to start. Unfortunately, the piece I selected was a smidge too long to fit in the stove (it happens). So I fired up the crapsman in the garage and had at er, as well as trimming a branch from a gnarly split. Garage is full of chips as are my Crocs. Clothes smell like two smoke...uh uh uh uh!! (Tim Allen noise)
9f3e65b7deda46caec67bc03fe08a8a1.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back