Broken Threading, oil plate screw (stihl ms260) help needed!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi all!

I need some help with an old Stihl MS260.

I got it for near free and it's used but working, after some cleanup/carb replacement etc.

Anyho, my problem is that the threading in the hole for the oil plate, see picture 2, has been wrecked inside.
This means that the plate is loose, and the M4*8 screw holding the plate simply doesnt work in the hole anymore.

I have made an M4*11 screw, that does hold the plate, probably because the threading in the end isn't too worn out/broken yet.

But, will this solution last? Or is there a better workaround here?

Thanks for all help!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
If you think the m4 screw has enough threads catching, you could put some thread locker on it and if it doesn't hold tap it for the next size up.

ah! that makes sense!
I was unfamiliar with the word "tap", I'm from Euro :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help!

Yes tap to m5 by .8 :)

that screw should have been m4 by .7

don’t go too deep, it may go into something you don’t want it to hehe

Measure the current depth, then transfer that depth to a 4.2mm drill bit (4mm will work perfectly fine) and then drill away. Tap m5/.8 and voila :)

As above, you don't really need a screw at all. My Husq 254xp oil plate has no screws, or screw holes, by design. The bar nut studs keep it from falling off anyway, unless I turn the saw sideways and shake it.

Latest posts

Back