ATV purchase?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at a 2020 Polaris Sportsman 570 base model. With the $300 promotional discount I can get a 2500lb winch to be installed by myself.

Anything I should be looking out for? Polaris vs Can-Am vs Yamaha vs Honda vs all the rest? Reliability is my #1 concern.

Looks like a 2019 Can-Am maybe the winner. Drastically cut price. A 2019 Can-Am 570 is less then the 2020 Polaris 570 by nearly a $1000. Additionally the 3500 lbs Can-Am winch is $100 less then the Polaris 2500 lbs winch. Just need to do a bit more research but this looks like a deal I cannot pass up.

I like the Argo. I don’t know how reliable they are but they look cool and I could go bootin’ around it the thing just like the Banana Splits. Power company uses one to check lines here as some are strung over very swampy terrain.

I use to own a Grizzly 660 (2003?). At the time it was a monster. The Can-Am 570 makes about 10% more HP then the Polaris, and the older Grizzly. Also the Can-Am and has some storage, which was a real problem with the grizzly. I was pretty crazy to ride that Grizzly without a tire repair and a mini air pump. I will buy today, IF I can get my trailer out of the snow.

Yamaha or honda
on my second yamaha 09 700 griz
03 Rubicon 7000 miles one wheel bearing gets ridden hard plows lotsa sno.
would buy them again.
polaris is hit an miss.
And then,, some junk is better than other junk

I bought an atv a few months ago, I had the same question. I went with a 2015 Honda foreman 500. Tons and tons of people told me that for reliability, they can't be beat. So far so good.

IMG_3200.jpg

Got it. What a long day, and yesterday too. Almost got it home (200 mile round trip), and within 10 miles it started snowing bad. Just a dusting, nothing flying up from the road so it was cleaned up with the vacuum/blower.

I am hoping for some good weather soon so I can get the 2500lb winch installed. :)

The winch is installed. It is a Superwinch Terra 25, and made specifically for this Can-Am, so all the wires and connections were spot on. But Good-God, what a PITA to route the wires and fit the brackets and others. These quads are really packed tight. It is no wonder that the shop charges so much to install these winches. It took me 5 hours, and I compromised nothing. I would say I did as good a job as the shop might have done.

Thank god for good neighbors. Next door the neighbor has a wood stove in the garage, so even though it was freezing outside, it was a very comfortable install.

I picked up the Can-Am ProMount Plow last Friday, and will see about getting that attached today. :)

I have a Yamaha Rhino with all the performance upgrades. It is a blast to ride the forest trails but I don't see it collecting much wood. I have a 10 ft trailer but I don't want to burn up the belt hauling wood.

I have a Yamaha Rhino with all the performance upgrades. It is a blast to ride the forest trails but I don't see it collecting much wood. I have a 10 ft trailer but I don't want to burn up the belt hauling wood.

Those belts are expensive. Easy to replace though. Most everything else is damn difficult to access. In mounting the winch with some of the panels off, I had a clear view of the engine. Not something I would like to get my fingers into, just because I abused the ride.

That’s a sharp looking atv, Montana. Should make easy work of the snow and hopefully lots of enjoyment as a toy, too. What size is it?
I’m planning to get me one this year too. I’m getting too old to drag big bucks out of the woods. Not to mention I’m getting back surgery in a few weeks.

That’s a sharp looking atv, Montana. Should make easy work of the snow and hopefully lots of enjoyment as a toy, too. What size is it?
I’m planning to get me one this year too. I’m getting too old to drag big bucks out of the woods. Not to mention I’m getting back surgery in a few weeks.

I plowed with it for the first time Friday. Only about 2 inches, but I did my neighbors long driveway first. It is 400 yards or longer, straight as an arrow, and the snow built up on the plow fast. Snow was flying over the top of the blade and the Can-Am 570 was doing 20 to 25mph, and never hesitated or slowed at all. I think even an Outlander 450 would have done just as well. The 570 seemed quite a bit more powerful at only a slight increase in cost. The 850 and 1000s get pricey fast, and the power increase seems over-kill for my purposes.

My only negative, is the shocks. Not stiff enough under braking and while raising the plow. There is some pretravel I can use to stiffen the front end. I will give that a try likely later today.

Extender Riser came in. Lots and lots parts to get this ATV into a working machine. The same extender riser is to be flipped upside down and will then be the correct height to haul the dump cart. I am still debating on whether or not to get a wind shield. I can see that being very handy, used as a snow plow machine at speeds is going to get real cold.

CIMG4459r.jpg

Back