Stihl 056 Magnum II - need a piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Waters

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I think this is my first post (after reading for many years). I scored a Stihl 056AV Magnum II yesterday which is in reasonable condition. The previous owner said old fuel was run through it.

The bore has come up pretty well with Muriatic Acid (called hydrochloric acid in Australia). But the piston is toast.

Any idea where i can source a new (or good used) 56mm piston?

Regards

Michael Waters

Dig deep... OEM isn't available anymore in the USA... but they do have a handful of Piston AND cylinder sets... $$$$$$$$$$

Any idea why there is no aftermarket production of the 56mm piston? I wonder if there is any similar piston that would only need slight modifications?

Any clues out there?

I just had another look at my piston and there is just no way i can put it back in the cylinder. If anyone has a good used one out there I would b interested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Michael

I believe $342 us dollars for the piston and cylinder through our dealers. I had a couple of them i've never seen an aftermarket piston in 56mm

Doubt he has any 56mm 056... I dug tha last one out of a box parts a year ago and had him sell it to Riverrat...

What are the chances of getting a reasonable used piston?

It looks like i have a couple of options:

(a) Keep watching ebay

(b) Convert to a 54mm jug and piston (is this possible??)

(c) Ask about having one CNC machined from billet aluminium (probably cost the same as a new chainsaw though)

(d) A final thought was i wonder if Golf Pistons would send me a 54mm piston that has only had the wrist pin (or gudgeon pin) machined but not the outside of the piston. I wonder if there would be enough aluminium on the sides to machine it to 56mm? Any thoughts (you can no doubt sense the desparation of this situation).

Regards

I just noticed that the 066 sometimes comes with a 56mm piston (saw it on Baileys). I wonder what the chances of that fitting, the pin being the same size, the piston shape being the same?

Regards

There are 3 saws that had 56mm pistons:

Husky 394
Husky 395
Baileys 066 big bore kit

Maybe one of them could be modified.

It's not trivial to make a piston ... and one that runs at 12,500rpm.. Just get a good used piston... cheapstihlsawparts has a bunch of 056M saws still assembled...

Last edited:
One final option might be to cast one myself. Meltdown an old piston of something else, casting sand, a lot of heat and a lathe.

Any thoughts?

Modern pistons are shaped in a cam machine...they are not totally round. This is done so that when it expands at operating temp it will be round. Hard to duplicate at the kitchen table...

OEM Stihl piston & rings

I have a new in the box OEM piston, rings & wrist pin fitting the Stihl 056AV Magnum. Contact me if needed, may list it on Ebay shortly. Thanks, Mark

Fair i inherited a beloved 056 magnim 2 from my dad, was bucking with it today and i noticed it was idling higher then normal.. knew right away it had an air leak. Tore it down today and sure enough the poor thing needs a piston. Looking for 1115 series parts to bring this old girl back from the dead!! I cant overstate the sentimental value.. sorry to yank up an old thread!

Ive never used parts from that supplier but i looked at them as well, i suppose an OEM will be rarer then hens teeth. Im terrified to risk a good OEM cylinder with a chinese slug though.. anyone use them before?

Back