Daninvan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I was wrong about sending Mtgunn a message, I just went back to 2013 and didn't see it. I've never deleted a message, just in case I want to get with people someday.

That was where the local township dumped street trees they took down. They let folks cut firewood too. I think it was only used a portion of the year.

I remember reading those posts, very interesting stuff. That’s less than an hour away from me across the border as well. Watched a short program the other day on a log from up north along the coast to its journey to the last mill standing in Vancouver. One of the guys involved would scour the coast looking for good logs that came loose from the float and collect them, pile them up, and hope for a good payout when they went to the mill. I’m sure there were some of those logs that washed ashore and were milled on the beach. Anyways as others have said i home all is well.

My understanding was as follows. Danivan's logs were fished out of Vancouver waters by harbour authorities as the logs were deemed as navigation hazards. Logs that were duly marked technically still belonged to the logging companies. The logs were taken to the beach dump and sorted. Once the pile for a specific company got large enough they would occasionally come and get them with a truck but they were not going to come for a small numbers of logs. The unpicked up logs were put to one side and at the end of the season were made available for firewood collection. The supervisor of the site was appalled that perfectly good logs were being cut up for firewood so used to select out the better ones for milling. I'm not sure but I think he said the site had close down or was not available for milling.

Latest posts

Back