33rs or 72LGX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loggerchain used to have incredible chain prices, then they increased by 50% or so. I still buy from them though. Great selection and lightning fast shipping.

Still have a few new loops of 72LGX and will switch to EXL when they are spent. The LGX cuts well and sharpens well but does not hold an edge long. I find sometimes the "tip" of the cutter dulls which requires me to file down a lot to correct.

Loggerchain used to have incredible chain prices, then they increased by 50% or so. I still buy from them though. Great selection and lightning fast shipping.

Still have a few new loops of 72LGX and will switch to EXL when they are spent. The LGX cuts well and sharpens well but does not hold an edge long. I find sometimes the "tip" of the cutter dulls which requires me to file down a lot to correct.
You are saying the EXL does not last as long as the LGX?
Interesting...........

dsell told me he doesn't have any....................

In 72EXL I just have 68, 70, and 72 drive links at this time. 75EXL just have 84DL, 73EXL have 72 and 84DL. I could make a 5 pack of 72EXL084 out of 70DL shipped for $87.50 They'd have two gold splices in each chain but the chisels would be in the correct sequence.

In 72EXL I just have 68, 70, and 72 drive links at this time. 75EXL just have 84DL, 73EXL have 72 and 84DL. I could make a 5 pack of 72EXL084 out of 70DL shipped for $87.50 They'd have two gold splices in each chain but the chisels would be in the correct sequence.
That’s a good buy. Especially with the added work you’d have to do

Both great chains. In my experience cutting dead hard oak the Stihl advantage doesn't last that long. Yes the teeth are harder at first but that goes away early in the chains life. After that you're gonna be filing a lot no matter what. I had a new Stihl 35RS chain 2 years ago and the first 2 trees I bucked without touching the chain. I thought to myself, man this Stihl chain is just awesome. The next 4 trees I bucked I had to touch up on every tree...

(Premature conclusion based on limited data).

I recently bought a couple loops of 75exl on eBay b/c the price was irresistible. I’d only run Stihl RS chain prior, not because I’m loyal to it, it’s just only thing I can buy in town.

I thought it dulled pretty quickly cutting standing dead ash, but set that aside because I may have hit something.

When I went to touch it up the first time, the plating behaved very differently than the Stihl. Where the Stihl plating hangs on while filing until it’s finally too thin and flakes off...the plating on the EXl kinda came off in a chunk very early, exposing a bit of the top plate.

One filing, one chain. Sometimes products vary from one production run to the next.

I haven’t given up on it. The price is too darn attractive and I’ve read mostly good about it. Just curious if others have noticed that.

Back