Nose Sprocket Rescue - Illustrated!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thread guys...most dispose of bars with problems like this which is a shame as laminate bars can be good bars and well worth the fix. l think the OP has done well exposing the myth that these bars can't/are not worth fixing. lf your doing it yourself and not paying shop rate...GO for it!

I have some really tough strap sand "paper" . . . I could cut that in half lengthwise and then fold that in half to make a "file". Add a strip or two of file folder stock inside as a shim, and file away along the entire length of the bar groove.

I don't know that you could get the groove sides parallel and square like that - you might just end up with a wider, worn bar.

Philbert

I don't know that you could get the groove sides parallel and square like that - you might just end up with a wider, worn bar.

Philbert
Done. The Yankees were rained out tonight. I only needed 0.0015" machined off. It was rather simple to use the sanding belt strips and shim them with a file folder strip in between the fold. The file folder shim kept the groove square to the bottom as it slowly widened. The fold is above the groove as I worked. I switched the bar orientation back and forth several times in the vise to help make up for human muscle error. The vise holding the bar is a Veritas twin-screw end vise on my woodworker bench and is almost two feet wide. A good-sized machine vise would also work.

I labeled the bar 057 to remind me that only 057 and 050 chain would work with it. I have a couple of more worn Stihl 050 bars that look like they could be machined in a similar fashion. So, it looks like I have a target for my 057 bulk chain and I don't need to buy some strange Husky to get rid of it. This was a good sparkless machining solution--a bit slow but very safe. Note that most of the bar's groove widening was taken care of by the 050 chains. I do not recommend this procedure for any new 050 bar. You would be sand belt filing forever.

Hope you did not mind the thread hijack, Philbert. I'm out of here.

Philbert Id just like to say to you that I sure would like to be able to drop in on you from time to time a sink a few attitude adjusters while watching talking and leaning from you , you work and pictures of the procedures you carrie out in your work shop are just fab , your a practical clever bloke thankyou for all your help , good onya olson;o)) cheres The Redfella

I had an old Oregon bar that had gotten bent, and a Power Care (TriLink) bar that I got on a used saw that had a catastrophic tip sprocket failure. Both of these were typical consumer single rivet Poulan mount, 18" 62DL Lo Pro bars. I used Philbert's idea of card stock to assemble the tip & rollers so it could be slid into the bar. This worked great.

I needed a rivet, and ended up cutting a slug out of the shaft of a 1/4" bolt, and peening it down. I had to grind off one side where it was slightly too long, but otherwise is came out great. I never knew what happened to the original tip, as it got run without enough oil until I got a saw fixed up, and the rails had partly sprung after the failure. Not sure which did it in. Anyway, it came out with the rails nicely pulled in, and the bar is working great. I was surprised that the parts from the two were compatible.

Good thread guys...most dispose of bars with problems like this which is a shame as laminate bars can be good bars and well worth the fix. l think the OP has done well exposing the myth that these bars can't/are not worth fixing. lf your doing it yourself and not paying shop rate...GO for it!

There is of course a reason that some bar brands (at least Oregon and Stihl) offers replacement nose sprocket kits for laminated bars - not all of them are really low quality items.

I labeled the bar 057 to remind me that only 057 and 050 chain would work with it. I have a couple of more worn Stihl 050 bars that look like they could be machined in a similar fashion. So, it looks like I have a target for my 057 bulk chain and I don't need to buy some strange Husky to get rid of it. This was a good sparkless machining solution--a bit slow but very safe. Note that most of the bar's groove widening was taken care of by the 050 chains. I do not recommend this procedure for any new 050 bar. You would be sand belt filing forever.

Hope you did not mind the thread hijack, Philbert. I'm out of here.

I assume you meant .058, not .057?

d7f5cf198949aef3345eb58a19ae3c64.jpg

Just a 20” Stihl ‘E’.

I could rob a sprocket from:

e2fb45e56fa71e555ef67256b84a9504.jpg

Maybe.[emoji848]

I noticed this thread today and decided to contribute to it. This bar is 3rd+ hand from when it was wrecked but I would still like to know what in the h*ll happened to it. The rails are nice, all of it looks near-new except for the tip. I’m thinking it needs a new tip and not just a new star as the tip walls are annealed and mushroomed.
DB299714-5FC8-4AD2-BE26-0D3157A98160.jpeg2AEFD977-C1DB-482A-A0EF-38FEA32E81CE.jpeg

I noticed this thread today and decided to contribute to it. This bar is 3rd+ hand from when it was wrecked but I would still like to know what in the h*ll happened to it. The rails are nice, all of it looks near-new except for the tip. I’m thinking it needs a new tip and not just a new star as the tip walls are annealed and mushroomed.
View attachment 846820View attachment 846821
I thought someone said a loose chain will wear the tip like that .

View attachment 846820View attachment 846821

Stihl bar, no grease holes.

Bore cutting likely. [emoji848]

Yes, just replace the tip.

Latest posts

Back