Lightning Struck Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video was not at the best angle to see what actually happened, but it seemed to me that the fall stalled when the notch closed. An open-faced notch of 70°-90° would probably have allowed the tree to fall without stalling, and would have steered the trunk almost all the way to the ground without tumbling at the end.

Will not get into a debate, many of you have more experience, and perhaps much more expertise than I. But, this particular tree hung on branches of another tree, primarily because of that large kink in the tree that can be seen in the still picture after it is on the ground. The hinge seemed to have worked fine (at least to me) until that left turn in the tree reached out and caught on another tree. I didn't have much room to get it down between the other trees around it, and frankly missed slightly. Sorry fellows. I'll continue to practice, and hope to get better. I'm still splitting that tree as I took down a couple that day, and haven't yet cut the stump off. I'll take a picture of the stump without the saw sitting on it that still shows the hinge and add it here later.

IMG_7126.jpg

In my limited experience falling trees in a hardwood woods can be very challenging due to the canopy. I think what Jere39 experienced here was two-fold. One you can see in the video and one you cannot see. As uniballer pointed out, you can see in the video that the hinge closed at the same time the stem stalled. What you can't see is what Jere39 said - the kink caused it to hang in another tree. Which was the greatest factor in the stall - who knows. Maybe it took both, or may either was enough - again who knows. The hinge closing could have been extended with a more open face - uniballer's point. The hang up may have been unavoidable or it might have been avoided with a change in falling direction - you can't tell from the pictures or video. As complete canopy clearance is seldom achieved in the woods, I will assume he aimed it properly.

I am not sure what in particular, if anything, prompted stihlguy's post. From my armchair, the only further comment that I would offer to Jere39 as to technique is from the sound of the saw it appears a lot of needless time was spent at the stump not cutting. It looks like you were dogged in so instead of the saw pivoted in the cut it was pivoting at the dog and being lifted out of the cut as you worked from the front of the bar to the back of the bar. As I am sure you know, generally speaking the less time you spend at the stump the less time you are in danger.

Practice practice practice - even then it won't always go right. The never-ending challenge of the woods is what keeps me going back for more.

I always enjoy Jere39's posts and candidly am a little jealous when I see his woods.

Ron

@Jere39 please don’t take my words as criticism, I’m still learning everyday myself. Just asking questions so I too can learn. My pal told me once, any tree you can drop and walk away from was a success. Still wondering how those lightening struck trees are gonna burn. Have a great night :cheers:

Again, I am no expert, just a firewood hack, but since I attended the safety course and learned the plunge cut method w/ wedges, I have felt much safer and in control. I cut them that way for many years as Jere39 does. Safety is my main concern, not being critical, ease off guys.

I don’t know if lightning strikes have any effect on a tree n regards to using it for lumber. That big oak looks straight with no limbs for a good stretch. Do you know anyone with a mill Jere39 that could saw it out for you?

The guy who owns the saw shop I go to, often just to talk and pet his dog has a full mill operation at his shop, as well as a portable mill he could take to any place. In fact, he is kind of a collector of new and expensive equipment that his customers can drool over. I stopped by Saturday to get some loops sharpened and pick up some bar oil, and I asked about the trees. He told me they would not be good for lumber, and he wouldn't recommend milling them. He said they'd be fine for firewood, but cautioned me to be very careful when cutting. He said the cellular make up of the wood is changed by the electrical pulse, and told me to take it slow when opening the face cut.

So, I don't know that he is an expert on cellular timber make up, but he has cut more trees than I ever will, and now milled more than I might every see. So, I for one will take his advice.

Well I guess the next best use for it would be firewood. Looks like you will get a lot of wood out of it. Stay safe and good luck dropping them.

Latest posts

Back