Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those radial lines in the end grain say oak to me.

Looks like oak to me.

I believe you are right. My memory is returning that this is an end cut left from flooring my trailer with white oak. The lumber was so expensive I have tried to erase all thoughts of it.

Ron

I believe you are right. My memory is returning that this is an end cut left from flooring my trailer with white oak. The lumber was so expensive I have tried to erase all thoughts of it.

Ron

Good choice for flooring, that'll probably be the last time you'll ever need to do it. Buy once, cry once.

My old man made a rudder for my sunfish sailboat when I was a kid. Thing cracked within minutes of being on the water. Ended up saving up and getting a mahogany one. Makes me wonder, would mahogany be good for a axe handle?

I sure hope so. Now I have to decide on using some of my planed hickory I was saving for a work bench or expanding my search out of town to find the ideal axe handle. Ron

Unless you have extra I wouldn't use the planed hickory. Especially if you have time or money into planing it. I know Beavertooth will give you the measurements of the eye so you would know if it'll work or not before you order.

My old man made a rudder for my sunfish sailboat when I was a kid. Thing cracked within minutes of being on the water. Ended up saving up and getting a mahogany one. Makes me wonder, would mahogany be good for a axe handle?

Your post reminds me of this[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] great movie

b009efe84b3fca09dbcd415879566f35.gif

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Thank you sir[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji847]

Im hear to learn. It was a cheap on so it doesn’t bother me to much.

Were can i get some education on what the grain on a good handle looks like

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
You can buy a copy of "An ax to grind", or watch the video, or both.

Unless you have extra I wouldn't use the planed hickory. Especially if you have time or money into planing it. I know Beavertooth will give you the measurements of the eye so you would know if it'll work or not before you order.

Just spent $16 and change for boiled linseed oil and epoxy today - so for future reference who is Beavertooth.

Thanks, Ron

Let the battle begin! There is a guy that out bids me on axes almost every week. He got me on a beautiful Kelly Perfect a couple weeks ago. Today there was a big wooden tool box with a pretty little Norland and a cheap True Temper on top of a bunch of junk. He pulled all the junk out and hid the hatchet on the bottom. Some one else saw him do it, and asked the auctioneer to sell them separate, so He did. I had to go to $35 to get them. Then there was a W BINGHAM Co ax with original handle. He ran me up to $40 on it. W Bingham closed up shop in 1961, so its at least that old.20200218_185138.jpg 20200218_185119.jpg 20200218_185048.jpg 20200218_185020.jpg

Back