What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanting to add something to bring in the wood rounds from up in the mountains. This seems to have a descent size bed, maybe could add a small trailer. We will have to see what Mama Bear thinks, she sue does enjoy the warmth of the wood stove so I have that going for me.
135e0ca966e57822f01ed9d7efc0811c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those Japanese Mini Trucks are making a dent on the farms in WV. Full time 4X4, closed cab, automatic trans, heat, air, am/fm. Go for 6-7000.

A tractor sure makes firewood a lot easier. Especially with a skidding winch, and even more so with 4wd and a loader, though those last bits tend to bring the price up an awful lot. Just a 2wd and a winch can get a lot done though.

Myself, I'm pretty set on adding a grapple for my Kubota this spring. I've been using pallet forks for the last 6 years, and they do the job for the most part, but a grapple will be super slick for dealing with brush and for selecting and placing logs more carefully instead of having to let them roll or slide off the end of the forks. It'll make loading my trailer much easier.

Well, Everything Attachments was is having 5% off of everything they make until tomorrow night. Not a big discount exactly, but enough to push me over the edge. Ordered a 55" dual lid grapple this evening.

ETA-WRG-CMP-17.jpg

This is obviously not my tractor, but it is the same model, and this is the grapple I ordered. It weighs just under 400#, which is awesome. These guys have put a lot of time into designing a very ideal grapple for CUTs. Now I just need to order a diverter valve and some hoses.

I bought this at auction ( 4 lights 30' high)and picked it up yesterday I also bought 2 more light towers that are 120 volts and mounted on smaller wheels that will also plug into it just have to pick them up yet. Also bought another galvanized landscape trailer the same as the one I got awhile ago. And a few other non firewood items just to fill out the load. This setup will allow me to work in the summer when it's colder at night and also split firewood in the fall when it gets dark out early. A few more hours on Sunday and three sets of stairs will be done. One more 30 x30' complete house renovation to go and I'm done with side jobs. I told my wife that we can work 24 hours a day now.

Attachments

• 20200214_191827.jpg
    20200214_191827.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200214_191621.jpg
    20200214_191621.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20200213_153545.jpg
    20200213_153545.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 39
My latest acquisition was my truck that I bought back in Nov of last year, but after this very mild winter, and even after giving some wood away - with what I already have split and stacked seasoning + what we have in rounds remaining to be split, we're still about 3 maybe even 4+ year ahead on firewood, so I will not be needing to scrounge for a while.... No new additions... :(

Congrats. Looks pretty good for being from '83. Is that one of the refurbished yanmars I see people talking about? Does it have the powershift transmission?
Yep! It's been refurbished in the states (not a VN tractor). It has the powershift transmission which has 5 gear ranges (including creeper) and the powershift has 3 forward, neutral and reverse. It was a little small for the previous owner here in ohio that bought it out of Alabama, so he traded it in. I ended up getting the tractor for 11500 out the door including a new 6' brush cutter. So far I'm impressed, it got some serious pulling power.

I'm looking to add a gorillaback log lift to cut down on noodling down the bigger rounds just so I can pick them up, by hand. This looks like a back saver and less saw work.

I have been looking at them as well but at $500+ looking is all I'm doing. After watching @SS396driver build the log arch for his dumper, I think that will be the route I take. I usually try to split off my trailer so if I can get it in, I can get it on the splitter.

I have been looking at them as well but at $500+ looking is all I'm doing. After watching @SS396driver build the log arch for his dumper, I think that will be the route I take. I usually try to split off my trailer so if I can get it in, I can get it on the splitter.
I have about $100 in the arch . I buy a lot of steel at Dutchess steel in poughkeepsie. They give me great prices on drops. The entire arch is made from drops .

The only things I bought retail was a swivel and a hook and now the skidder so I have about 200 total in it . Plus my time

Back