MS-261 non m-tronic carb identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodlarc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I'm lost, after spending many hours lost in the new world for me of Zama parts.

Got a hold of ms -261 saw, with a carb that has no identification on it. Gee, wonder if that's why not running?
Guess this means previous miscreant put some kind of junk aftermarket in it?

Anyway, the short of it is will you all tell me, since no dealer around here, what model # I should buy off ebay or Amazon? Or model #'s in the plural if their has been a succession of changing part #'s for same part?

Cause this is the long of it. Wth is going on here? Why is this info so impossible to find? First confusion is seeing, on stihl parts list/diagrams there are 3 different carbs listed. After awhile figure they must all work but they just like to change #'s? And they are laid out 2 ways. Guess the first, a series of numbers is the Stihl ID, like 1141 120 0600, and the 2nd is a Zama id like c1q-S178. This is true?

Whatever, none of these match anything for sale as I guess the parts list is very outdated but eventually you see that most common offering for ms261 is C1Q-S246 but you just have to take sellers word for it. Also prevalent is a C1Q-S252. are they the same?

Basically, problem is can't find anyway to see the succession chain of how numbers have superseded each other if that is what happened. Zama site is worthless. Wonder how ebay sellers know what fits what.

So , bottom line is please tell me what carb you have in yours, and ideally if you know what other model #'s will work that would be great. Like the C1Q-S252?

And how to get this info for myself for any zama carbed equipment in future would be just superb.

And , even though I gather the stihl id, the 1141-120-..... is not on carb, can anyone reveal that succession and/or what the current is? Am assuming same carb will work in whatever year ms261 you got. True?

Many thanks

Just had my MS261 (non M-Tronic) torn down, then reassembled. I'm pretty sure it had a C1Q-S178B carburetor on it.

Thanks John. the parts list i have shows a S178 but as yet nothing on Ebay. If did find it it would likely be used but still, as long as it works. As far as new oem all I see is S246 and S252 listed as ftting ms 261, 271 1nd 291 saws. Seems odd those 3 saws would have same carb.

What would be great is a tech doc that shows the progression from s178 to whatever modern one is. Or links them somehow

what year is your saw?

261 carbs are different. The casting around the adjustment screws get in the way of the plastic. I ground away at a 271 carb to fit the 261. I haven’t run it yet and not sure if the lack of the limiter will allow the screw to move. As of now I think it’s a 2mm to adjust it.

Back