Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same in the summer. It's just on front of your leg like chaps are, only they're inside your pants so you don't have all the damn straps catching on stuff. A lot of fallers out here use this setup year round. You're not one of these idiots who wears their chaps over shorts are you?
lol..NO. By the time its hot I'm done for the year

Anybody else taking coronavirus seriously? I can scarcely believe how casual towards it people are here. The proverbial is hitting the fan in China and we only get to see the official/fake reports on TV. Our log prices have already dropped by 25%, guys getting laid off, many of the few remaining manufacturers here who rely on China for parts are saying they can't find alternatives fast enough and will have to limit production when stocks run dry, etc. The global supply chain that has relied on just in time sourcing from China is gonna be under serious strain. Oil tankers are piling up in Chinese ports and being diverted to other areas that are themselves getting chocka. Construction steel demand in China is down 88% yoy, 760 million Chinese are quarantined, massive spikes in sulfure dioxide as they cremate the bodies and lie to the world about the current death toll.

I travelled China and Toronto, the two worst places for SARS during that outbreak years ago. It didn't phase me. But this one has me worried. The human and economic impact is going to be so much worse than people here in NZ at least seem to realise. If you haven't prepped, i think this is a great one to start with - get ahead of the masses.

Anybody else taking coronavirus seriously? I can scarcely believe how casual towards it people are here. The proverbial is hitting the fan in China and we only get to see the official/fake reports on TV. Our log prices have already dropped by 25%, guys getting laid off, many of the few remaining manufacturers here who rely on China for parts are saying they can't find alternatives fast enough and will have to limit production when stocks run dry, etc. The global supply chain that has relied on just in time sourcing from China is gonna be under serious strain. Oil tankers are piling up in Chinese ports and being diverted to other areas that are themselves getting chocka. Construction steel demand in China is down 88% yoy, 760 million Chinese are quarantined, massive spikes in sulfure dioxide as they cremate the bodies and lie to the world about the current death toll.

I travelled China and Toronto, the two worst places for SARS during that outbreak years ago. It didn't phase me. But this one has me worried. The human and economic impact is going to be so much worse than people here in NZ at least seem to realise. If you haven't prepped, i think this is a great one to start with - get ahead of the masses.
Good time to invest in precious metals?

Don't pop the Amazon bubble wrap! Lol

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
They gave away a couple mugs at church, I said I don't want those Chinese mugs(my wife won one), had nothing to do with the virus, but others went that direction with it.

Others have reported the same things, it will effect world economy.
I was just telling my wife that maybe the virus will be the thing that gets this next recession started and not the election here, unfortunately that would be a much larger reset than only here in the United States, if that's the case then we could be in for a heck of a ride!

Good time to invest in precious metals?
If you've got enough prepping done, I think so. But I expected the SHTF in China two months ago so was early with my predictions so might not be the best person to take advice from. Just be aware it's not uncommon for gold to be confiscated. History has many lessons for us if we want to look back.

Well, spent a couple hours running the 254 to process some smalls from the tress I fell to make my trail. Most was small maple, elm, wild cherry, black cherry, and some mulberry. I did find a decent ash that was just the dead standing trunk. Top was out of it. It was the largest diameter of the bunch, and man did that 254 rip! I want to say it’d cut circles around my MS310.

Loving the saw so far. Only “issue” is the gas cap is leaking. The o-ring needs replaced. Gonna see what I can find. The 16” bar works great. I foresee this saw getting a lot of use.
That's awesome, great saws, glad your liking it.
You may not want to return to stihls now after enjoying the handling of that husky :).

Pants have no buckles, straps or open edges that get caught in stuff .
I like mine too, huskys, pair of insulated and a pair of non insulated. Best part is the freedom to wear them with just my undies underneath :happy:.
Still use the chaps for running around on jobs many times if I can't go home before going to the store, they are nice for that, and I always remember my pants with them lol.
OK in the winter. What do you do in the summer?
What summer, he's in Montana lol.

Believe it or not I actually scrounged some firewood this weekend. I know, right.
Doesn't get much more local than this. Power co clearing around their lines up to the boundary and neighbour can't handle the bigger stuff. Note the small rounds in that pile are from a collateral damage tree on our place.
localScrounge.jpg

Some in here may note we don't have a fireplace. That don't confront me, as long as I get my boat trips (recall, the deal is two per cubic meter) on mates' boat (probably not by next Friday), I'm happy. I figure with the 1.5m3 that was delivered with the table last weekend, and the rest still to go, I've got about 8 trips locked in.

Believe it or not I actually scrounged some firewood this weekend. I know, right.
Doesn't get much more local than this. Power co clearing around their lines up to the boundary and neighbour can't handle the bigger stuff. Note the small rounds in that pile are from a collateral damage tree on our place.
View attachment 798752

Some in here may note we don't have a fireplace. That don't confront me, as long as I get my boat trips (recall, the deal is two per cubic meter) on mates' boat (probably not by next Friday), I'm happy. I figure with the 1.5m3 that was delivered with the table last weekend, and the rest still to go, I've got about 8 trips locked in.
Your mate would prolly let you drive the boat if that was spruce. :innocent:

What chaps are y’all running? I’ve never used them, but after a talk with my dealer buddy, I need to.

I just don’t want something that will be hard to move in.

When I bought my 460 about 10 years ago, the Stihl dealer had one pair of chainsaw pants left, and on sale. They were about 4 sizes to big for me but I grabbed them. Been very happy with them, full Kevlar front, warm in colder weather but not too horrible in warm weather. I wear a pair of shorts under them to fill things out a bit and a tight belt. Worked for me. Here's my leg after a dropping round flicked the chain off and it hit my leg (see attached). No damage.

Well , calling for 60% of precip so I headed for the gate while the getting was good
4VIVOpN.jpg

Sure was easy to find yesterday's spot
To1dEq4.jpg

I played the porter again , I sure wish I had hills to role the rounds down or a Donk
z437VzW.jpg

6c10ikv.jpg

Ended up with a small of furnace ready 2' before the precip started

1TRYaYD.jpg

There is something extra sweet about wood that you can cut and then chuck straight in the fire. :sweet:

Nearing the point where storage will require some creativity :)

First world problem. The best sort.

Your mate would prolly let you drive the boat if that was spruce. :innocent:

If only. Would love some spruce to burn down those darned eucalypt hardwood coals. I guess we'll just have to manage.

Also, if we're stihl talking about VD, Cowgirl went down to the butcher's on the 14th and said "I need a big lump of meat for my husband for Valentine's Day". Gav the butcher said "I wish more women thought like you" and sold her a big rib eye. Yummy yummy :sweet: :numberone:

Attachments

• 4th Apr 1.jpg
    4th Apr 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

I was listening to one of the senior Aus government health experts on the radio the other day. The death rate for SARS was 10%, carona is 2%, influenza is 1%. If there’s a big stock market correction due to this I’m shopping for shares it may be an excellent buying opportunity. I think it will blow over in a year or two.

I was listening to one of the senior Aus government health experts on the radio the other day. The death rate for SARS was 10%, carona is 2%, influenza is 1%. If there’s a big stock market correction due to this I’m shopping for shares it may be an excellent buying opportunity. I think it will blow over in a year or two.
Location dependent. In Hubei it's been estimated at 18%. Likely worse in China than West. Only thing I can find with a quick look on infection rates is from Chinese who say about same as sars. I don't believe anything out of Chinese officialdom.

Latest posts

Back