Selling to the public - do you sign anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I put a Husqvarna 359 I rebuilt in Nextdoor for sale. A guy came by to look at it and bought the saw. He said he had an oak tree that went down on his property he wanted to cut up. When he bought it I kind of had a pinch inside because he didn't seem like he knew the first thing about what he was doing with a chainsaw. That was about three weeks ago.

Last week he called me to say the saw wouldn't run and he wanted his money back. I asked him if he wanted me to fix the saw and he said he wanted a refund and that he was going to buy a new one. I've never had one come back and I felt bad that he had a problem so of course I told him I would do that.

He came by today and I took the saw in my hands. I pulled the choke and had a pop, closed the choke and the engine fired. It ran really rich for a while and cleaned up. It had smooth transition from idle to high and idled well. He said he couldn't believe it, he couldn't get it to start for anything. Whatever. I know what happened - he finished the tree work and wanted his money back. He purposely flooded the saw before he came not expecting it to start so easily. He told me it sat since Thursday. No way when it ran that rich at first. It was flooded before he came by.

I asked him if he finished the job and didn't want the saw so he brought it back to get his money and he assured me that wasn't the case. I told him against my better judgement I would take the saw back. I still don't believe him. I've flipped saws for many years and never had one come back. I started that saw in three pulls without putting a tool to it to do much as adjust the carburetor. I told him I would take him at his word but the evidence said otherwise. My reputation means more than anything and I don't want him bad mouthing me.

Do you guys have a buyer sign an agreement when you sell a saw? I wish I had in this case. If you do any paperwork can you post an example? This situation really sucked.

I don't offer a money back guarantee on used saws but I did exchange a 340 for a 435 after two days. The pulse line was kinked but I made a happy customer and good reputation. Tell them when you sell it what you will cover. If they beat me down on price, I will sometimes accept it and say "no guarantee".

Saws sales as an individual in person are as is. Unless you give them some kind of verbal or written warranty or guarentee. Totally up to you what you will and will not take back.

My thinking is this is a small town and i don't need him dragging my name through the mud on Nextdoor - I would have a hard time selling locally if that happened.

From that perspective it sounds like you have the saw back in pretty much the condition you sold it. Other than having to sell it again little lost. At least it wasn't roasted.

But then I am the crusty type and if I thought a customer was trying to pull a fast one on me, you can be sure I would not be feeling too charitable. Everyone has their own way though, so if you want to offer refunds, more power to ya!

I've never had this happen before and I wasn't prepared for it to start. He told me it wouldn't run and I expected to find something wrong - I was worried I made a mistake. I was just as surprised as he was when it ran. I took the saw back. I'll never do that again.

I give 5 or 10 days , depending on how far you are away if you don't like it send it back , I sleep good at night too and I don't sell junk. I try not to sell to beginners and people that need an axe not a powersaw.
David

Don’t knock my husky saws, as the saying goes Stihl not running? I never had a problem with my new husky saws in four decades. I never had a day off because of my husky saws not running. They made money and fed my family, paid my bills well.

Beaware when selling anything,,,All Sales Final,,,no returns,,,,thats it. There’s a reason why they invented soap on a rope.

Do you give them a bill of sale? Maybe write on there in bold letters: "all used equipment sold as is - no refunds". Then you could express your generosity by fixing saws that come back shortly after they are sold but are not running right. I wouldn't advertise that part...but rather use your judgement and be willing to do that - if you can't get it running, then offer a full refund.

When i was selling saws i gave no warranty after about the first year of dealing with people being to Ignorant on how to either start a saw or not kill it in one tree job....I only had a few people bring any back... and i could look and see if it was abused or they did not pay attention when i showed them how to start it etc.....I no longer sell them as with marketplace its not worth the money unless its hurricane season....when i did sell them i always knew the saw i sold was tip top though... My my wife asked me to start meeting people in parking lots as one of the few guys kept bringing one back flooded then i would start it like you said to his dismay....he stopped one time when i was at work and startled her....after that i sold them at a local parking lot and it had a tail lights warranty....But i also tested the saws harder then most people can cut unless your brutalizing it with a dull chain etc... so i never felt the need to warranty them . I also told them up front check it out check the compression etc be sure you want it cause im not depot or walmart i don't do returns....like i said with market place you can hardly turn a profit any more....However i can understand being a stand up guy....if the saw you sold with a new bar and chain comes back with the pait gone the chain dull and heat marks you know what it was LOL.....

Back