Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I thought they were yellow to. I thought it looked like a well made chainsaw at least it’s got AV. How do I tell what year it is. And what year did they change to yellow. And what’s the value of a running cutting P42 thanks for any help. I can’t get used to search function and the partner threads not so bad but to read 750 pages of this pioneer thread would take a while. Or even if somebody knows the pages where they were talked about Ghem thata b great. Thanks for your help.
From around 1983. It was the last year Pioneer was on their own financially. The lime green p42,52,and 62 was a one year deal. Used up old stock and got ready for changes. I have two of these p42's, and won't get rid of either of them. Really good running saws for the size. As far as value I haven't been paying attention honestly.

Pogo, I was a lurker for many years, rebuilt my first 2 stroke engine in 79 , oh and that was 1979. Been doing my own research since before that. Used to use those things called books, now find the Internet to be the greatest education tool ever created up to this time.

These North American made saws, I also believe were way ahead of the competition. All three companies that P61 Western refers to.

Ken

My mistake just excited so I’ll keep my lips shut for just important questions I got ahead of myself. And yes just looking for like minded ppl to share common hobbies with. And yes I’m a newb to pioneer and was only looking for general feelings about the saw in order to get an idea of wanted to do with it. Thanks for ur replies and all my questions was answered and no , I try to contribute what I can on my 5000plus. I bought a manual before I ever posted. There’s a lot of negativity on this site more than any other forum I’ve been on. If I didn’t enjoy talking to ppl with like interests I’d just buy a service manual. And apologize in advance text messages can b easily misunderstood but Negativity is why a lot of my friends stay off this site. They are afraid to get there heads chewed off. I got thick skin. So thanks again for anybody that had positive replies.

Rottmansales has awesome IPL of all the P saws.

Here is a video of my P41S that I put the 6 port 72cc top end on. I have run this saw a fair amount as a 72cc and had to do extensive opening up of the HS147D carb to get it to feed enough fuel. It would not go to rich when I started running it, even at 2 turns LS needle and 3 turns HS , it wasn't getting enough fuel, by both spark plug color and looking in the exhaust outlet to see the color. I held off on opening up the base to feed the boost ports because if it wasn't getting enough fuel with the 4 ports, no sense opening up the boost ports.

It is now running very strong and rich at just over 1 1/4 on both needles. By both the sparkplug color and the muffler baffle color. I have also enlarged the venturi from 14.5 mm to 18mm on this HS147D carb.

This run is with the boost port feed conservatively cut into the flywheel side of the base to feed the additional 2 ports. I did the same thing, P61 Western, did on his P42 when he updated it with a 6 port top end. The base halves that have the cast in feed is much larger than what can be cut into a standard base. This is a P45 top end that I used. The wood being cut in this video is frozen Beech, it is harder than red oak and nearly as hard as white oak. American beech is a great firewood. The stick is 15 to 16" across and has a half inch of ice on the top and left side as you see it in the video. 20" bar with 72 dl 72exl chain, rakers are filed agresive.

I found P61 Western's work by doing a Google search.

That''s correct I am only a 3 month member here. Lol

Remember Lavoy!!!!

Ken

Rottmansales has awesome IPL of all the P saws.

Here is a video of my P41S that I put the 6 port 72cc top end on. I have run this saw a fair amount as a 72cc and had to do extensive opening up of the HS147D carb to get it to feed enough fuel. It would not go to rich when I started running it, even at 2 turns LS needle and 3 turns HS , it wasn't getting enough fuel, by both spark plug color and looking in the exhaust outlet to see the color. I held off on opening up the base to feed the boost ports because if it wasn't getting enough fuel with the 4 ports, no sense opening up the boost ports.

It is now running very strong and rich at just over 1 1/4 on both needles. By both the sparkplug color and the muffler baffle color. I have also enlarged the venturi from 14.5 mm to 18mm on this HS147D carb.

This run is with the boost port feed conservatively cut into the flywheel side of the base to feed the additional 2 ports. I did the same thing, P61 Western, did on his P42 when he updated it with a 6 port top end. The base halves that have the cast in feed is much larger than what can be cut into a standard base. This is a P45 top end that I used. The wood being cut in this video is frozen Beech, it is harder than red oak and nearly as hard as white oak. American beech is a great firewood. The stick is 15 to 16" across and has a half inch of ice on the top and left side as you see it in the video. 20" bar with 72 dl 72exl chain, rakers are filed agresive.

I found P61 Western's work by doing a Google search.

That''s correct I am only a 3 month member here. Lol

Remember Lavoy!!!!

Ken

Looks pretty good. Keep your eye out for a sdc53 or a sdc80. They run really good with those carbs.

All u pioneer guys ever run into an overttightened reed cage that cracked can anything b done or it just needs replaced I’m pretty sure it’ll suck air but would really like to run it before I dump anymore money into it to make sure everything else works. Will a p41 reed cage fit a p42 they have diff part numbers thanks.

All u pioneer guys ever run into an overttightened reed cage that cracked can anything b done or it just needs replaced I’m pretty sure it’ll suck air but would really like to run it before I dump anymore money into it to make sure everything else works. Will a p41 reed cage fit a p42 they have diff part numbers thanks.
They crack all the time. Fill the cracks with some JB weld and run it. The p41 and p42 cage is the same.

Just as P61 w has said. My reed block has the cracks inside and outside of the brass bosses that the carb screws anchor in. I am not sure if they are caused by over tightening or just age stress. The composite/synthetic materials we have today are so advanced over the bestest available when these saws were made. At this time I am quite sure my block does not leak, but I will not hesitate to JB it in the near future.

I am old school and do not even have any of the JB quick in the shop, the original formula is my only choice. I have aluminum mounts on RC engines engines to hold ignition censors/pickups for after market ignitions that have been in service since 86 that are held with JB.

I misspoke a while back in a post, it was 69 not 79 when I rebuilt my first 2 stroke, a 18 hp JLO engine used in a FoxTrac snowmobile. Many moons have past since then. We would use more than one 55 gallon drum of, Agway, Sea-Saw oil a winter, keeping up to 9 snowmobiles on the farm running. It was all used at 20 to 1 mix, with 2oz of a witch oil called, Essential lube, added to every 5 gallons mixed, this did help keep the spark plugs from fouling. Large farm family, that spent many an evening riding snow machines with neighbor farm families.

I will give them a call to see if mine is available.
I recently got a brand new reed block assembly for my P62 from Rottman's for $18. May want to check with them and save your cracked one for a rainy day if they have NOS.

Pogo! Thank you for the tip!!!

Rottman has them for the 40 series of saws also, and I have one being shipped as I type this. I didn't ask the price.

Thank you,
Ken

Yep I called left a message at rottmans they called back next morning first thing and 20 dollars later it’s on it’s way. I have never had there web page come up on a search on my iPhone and never would have found them. THANKS for the help fellas I hope to b runnin p42 Sunday. The more I looked at mine it was apparent it was gonna take more then the price of a good one to fix it’s practically broke everywhere. Looked like maybe Bakelite material

Boyesen Reeds, also has the fiberglass 2 stage Reed set for them. catalog # 801. Give them a call if you want to put the latest reeds on your new Reed block. I did call them and have a set coming. Look up there Web site to find the 800 order number, Karen took my order today. Will ship in tomorrow's mail.

I just might I’ve gotta get her going first see how I like it and make sure nothing else needs fixed before I spend any more money. Was just told today my buddies boss just hauled his p51 to scrap makes ya sick to think what gets ground up for 2$

Back