Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I actually just like the looks of the early 90's Fords. The V8 in my green truck is crap. Burns a quart of oil every 200 miles or so. Weird thing is, it's got less than 100 thousand miles on it. Luckily I only use it for wood hauling. My diesel VW's are my main source of transport.
My diesel Golf was the best car I ever owned. Never got the mileage out of it they said I would, but still got good mileage. Payed $23,000 for it new, drove it for four years, put 85,000 miles on it, and they gave me $21,300 to get it back. Wish I could do that with ever car.

They did sell me a replacement. The truck now wares a 25 row 6.0 trans cooler instead of the 7 row stock one. No more over heating but the damage is done.

Thinking about selling my grom and picking up a coworkers 02 tdi Jetta. My truck averages a little over 16mpg not to bad for a 20 year old 1 ton.

Poor people run Echos ask me how I know.
You must have missed my post a few pages back. My Echo dealer told me one of the young guys has a 280E he wants to get rid of. Told him to check the spark for me. No spark, $10 to sit on the shelf and look cute. If it has spark, $15, to sit on the shelf and look cute till I can tinker with it. I checked eBay and an NOS module is $166. That’s a bit pricey for a 29CC saw with a 10 inch bar. But, it is cute.

Until the most recent decade or so, the best high performance engines were produced in the late 60s, and it all ended after 1970.

The gas guzzling 351C, 429 and 460s were the result of a GM engineer that Ford recruited.

The most successful engine in racing history was the 427 Ford engine. It was very competitive in NASCAR, Drag Racing, and won the 24 hours of Lemans against Ferrari (in 1966 they finished 1,2 + 3).

I had a 66 - 427 Ford engine in my 1970 Boss 302 Mustang Body.

Many NASCAR racers (in 1969) replaced their Boss 429 engines with the older 427s.

Also, Ford drivetrains in the late 60s were second to none - the 9" rear, top loader 4 speed and C-6 Auto were all revered.

You must have missed my post a few pages back. My Echo dealer told me one of the young guys has a 280E he wants to get rid of. Told him to check the spark for me. No spark, $10 to sit on the shelf and look cute. If it has spark, $15, to sit on the shelf and look cute till I can tinker with it. I checked eBay and an NOS module is $166. That’s a bit pricey for a 29CC saw with a 10 inch bar. But, it is cute.
I've picked up a few older saws as projects. Homelite 360 is next after the gaskets get here to put the 3.7 back together. Don't know if I've ever seen a 280 echo. Some nice older saws in my price range. The modern stuff is beyond my reach at this time. Someday I'll get back to the big Jonsereds. Hard to find saw with even harder to find parts. Thought about letting it go a few times but can't go through with it.

I've picked up a few older saws as projects. Homelite 360 is next after the gaskets get here to put the 3.7 back together. Don't know if I've ever seen a 280 echo. Some nice older saws in my price range. The modern stuff is beyond my reach at this time. Someday I'll get back to the big Jonsereds. Hard to find saw with even harder to find parts. Thought about letting it go a few times but can't go through with it.
I've let at least 3 big saws go, some sold, some gave away, wish I had of kept them all. The Pioneer 700, at 107CC's, I should have kept. The 129CC Homelite 7-29, 52" bar with helper handle, went to a better home. But, if I ever find another, it won't go anywhere till I croak.

Diesel VWs, eh? I loved my MK2 Diesel Jetta. Saved me a ton of money in fuel when gas was $4/gallon and the truck gets 8-10mpgs.
Yeah, I've got a '99 Golf and an '02 Jetta wagon both with the tried and true 1.9 TDI engine/5spd tranny. 45 mpg and loads of torque. I had a Rabbit pickup in the past with the non turbo 1.6 that could squeeze out around 50mpg, but it was a total dog.

Maple season is here! I may be a week or 2 late but I put out 15 taps yesterday . The trees are swamp maple, not sugar maple but it still works out it just takes more sap to get the syrup. I picked up a 55 gallon drum I plan to convert into a stove end put 2 pans in it for an evaporator. I can't find the stove kit locally and will have to order one so it's one more year for a beat up old Jotul stove I got for free, The pan fits perfectly in it.0226171705a.jpg 0226171705a.jpg

Maple season is here! I may be a week or 2 late but I put out 15 taps yesterday . The trees are swamp maple, not sugar maple but it still works out it just takes more sap to get the syrup. I picked up a 55 gallon drum I plan to convert into a stove end put 2 pans in it for an evaporator. I can't find the stove kit locally and will have to order one so it's one more year for a beat up old Jotul stove I got for free, The pan fits perfectly in it.View attachment 799061 View attachment 799061

Funny you mention that. Was walking the dogs yesterday, and my wood pile has several cut Red Maple logs in it, and they were all seeping out the end and dripping!

I did not expect sawed logs to react like that … a lot about nature we don't understand!

Until the most recent decade or so, the best high performance engines were produced in the late 60s, and it all ended after 1970.

The gas guzzling 351C, 429 and 460s were the result of a GM engineer that Ford recruited.

The most successful engine in racing history was the 427 Ford engine. It was very competitive in NASCAR, Drag Racing, and won the 24 hours of Lemans against Ferrari (in 1966 they finished 1,2 + 3).

I had a 66 - 427 Ford engine in my 1970 Boss 302 Mustang Body.

Many NASCAR racers (in 1969) replaced their Boss 429 engines with the older 427s.

Also, Ford drivetrains in the late 60s were second to none - the 9" rear, top loader 4 speed and C-6 Auto were all revered.
I had a few grand marques 1-460 PI and 1-400. I could easily get 26mpg out of the 400 by disconnecting the kick down lever. But what fun was that. Best was 27mpg. Pretty impressive for a nearly 6,000 pound car. Was big pimp mobile 2 door, 2 tone silver over dove gray imron.

Yeah, I've got a 99 Golf and a 02 Jetta wagon both with the tried and true 1.9 TDI engine/5spd tranny. 45 mpg and loads of torque. I had a Rabbit pickup in the past with the non turbo 1.6 that could squeeze out around 50mpg, but it was a total dog.
Mine was the NA Diesel also. Was a dog, but man it would run three weeks on $10-15 in fuel. I had plans to have a local VW guy that specializes in the air-cooled VWs do some work on it. He would port the heads and tune the injection pumps I think, and he said he could get the 1.6NAs to run with the gassers of the same vintage. I’d rather have the 1.6T, as they had a little more power.

Are the older TDIs computer controller?

Maple season is here! I may be a week or 2 late but I put out 15 taps yesterday . The trees are swamp maple, not sugar maple but it still works out it just takes more sap to get the syrup. I picked up a 55 gallon drum I plan to convert into a stove end put 2 pans in it for an evaporator. I can't find the stove kit locally and will have to order one so it's one more year for a beat up old Jotul stove I got for free, The pan fits perfectly in it.View attachment 799061 View attachment 799061
Awesome!!

I didn’t tap our trees this year yet as I don’t have a good way to process the sap. Last year I wasted a ton of sap trying to get it reduced down.

Haven't started my boil usually wait till I have 40 gallons or so collected , I use propane . It's actually my homebrewing sculpture nice being able to have two boils going the one one the right is almost finished20190324_123147.jpg

I have thread going in the off topic forum
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/maple-sap-syrup-season.340099/

Mine was the NA Diesel also. Was a dog, but man it would run three weeks on $10-15 in fuel. I had plans to have a local VW guy that specializes in the air-cooled VWs do some work on it. He would port the heads and tune the injection pumps I think, and he said he could get the 1.6NAs to run with the gassers of the same vintage. I’d rather have the 1.6T, as they had a little more power.

Are the older TDIs computer controller?

They are. People have fitted mechanical pumps to them though. (ALH 1.9 TDI)

Back