What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish more people cleaned up their saws at least once in a while, I hardly ever get a clean one to work on but they're clean when they leave here...

you know, call me what you want..but i refuse to put away the tools that i use and make my life easier and better away dirty, its like riding your horse hard all day long and puttin the poor devil in the stable wet with a saddle still on his back.. something i learned from watching my dad struggle with dirty saws, so after every use, whether its 5 minutes or 5 hours

1. empty both tanks of oil and fuel
2. start the saw and let it run till dry
3. blow the outside off or towel it off to get debris off
4. remove side cover, bar and chain
5. blow out all the debris from clutch area and every other nook i can find
6. blow the gunk out of the bar
7. blow debris off the chain.
8. then wipe off the saw with a microfiber towel(cuz i have tons of old ones) till its free of all oil and debris
9. then wipe off the bar
10 then wipe off the the chain 1 link at a time
11. put it all back together and retention the chain.
12. if i have a case it goes back in.

i have had saws sit for years this way and when i come to start them , put gas in em, and they start every time.
when i need to work on em, they are pretty clean.. its just too easy to get debris somewhere it shouldn't be and end up with a scored piston and cylinder
and in your bearings.. i know its a bit much but i love my saws , its just part of the ritual of using them, cleaning them off is part of the enjoyment, just like working on them
TAKE CARE OF YOUR SAWS AND THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU.

short story.. when i was in high school, we had partys of course., i think i was only kid who drove around with a stihl 08s in the trunk of my 72 chevelle..so we had our very first party
junior year..first of many but we got there and were ready for our fire and guess what , no one brought any wood other than the obvious a teenager carries around with teenage girls everywhere LOL. .. so i pulled out the 08s and cut some dry cedars that had been carried down by flooding.. and we had our bon fire. after that i was the designated fire guy at every party there was till we graduated. so i got to be the hero that night , when only the footbal players were ever heros..they were all zeros that night.. LMAO . That saw got me out of jams more than once , i grew up in the country, riding horse, mending fences, etc etc. lots of memories attached to that sound.

Rick

Today's project
349d9403965a9a49ecda25281c9befad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

im hatin on you LOL... man i cant wait to find a few homelite gear saws to restore.. 707G 775G 900 i think... i love those saws , but i still have a 44mm 08, another 015L, and a ts350 to redstore.

I mainly just meant a saw occasionally needs to have the grease and dirt removed. I don't care if my customers obsess on them or not, just scrape off that crud that accumulates on the bar pad and inside the starter housing and around the carburetor. I've had them so bad before that the dirt would fill a quart milk carton...
I now have around 10 saws to work on/rebuild and I don't know which to start on first...probably go from the easiest first...

i know what you mean, like i said, i just have too much time on my hand..
how to decide.. easiest first sounds good to me boss

On the inspection table today was a older Husqvarna 44, another Husqvarna 350 and partner R40 getting there welcome physical done. Thinking the two huskys need surgery while the big 100 cc partner needs some tlc.

I got a call from a good friend that does landscape work last summer. He said he was trying to clean up a big oak blow down at a job site and his 455 was smoking from around the cylinder base. I grabbed my 7910 and went to meet him and look at the saw. There was dirt and grime packed around the base. Took it home with me and pulled all the covers. Solid dirt and grime to the edge of the flywheel. So much dirt around the coil you couldn't see it and packed into some of the fins on the jug. Don't understand how you can let a saw get that bad. Took forever to clean that junk up.

I finished up the echo 1001. Cleaned up really nice. Finally figured out the oil pump. turns out that I had it screwed too far into the case and the oil ports weren't lining up. I am my own worse enemy sometimes.

20200215_152613.jpg

20200215_152622.jpg

I also put a bunch of saws away and I can officially say that I've run out of space.

20200216_113736.jpg

And yeah I know stacking them like this isn't ideal, but its the only space I've got to store them in.

might be time to sell a few of the ones I don't use/like/want off.... hahaha. the official count is 62 saws. (not all in this photo)

So after seven hours of cutting, hauling, and burning, I reviewed my shutdown procedure. I'm not in shape, so I was pretty wore out after the day. But I follow pretty much the same thing; it just doesn't seem like that much to do- except for the three things I don't do. I don't mind oil staying in the saw and I'm not wiping or blowing chains.

you know, call me what you want..but i refuse to put away the tools that i use and make my life easier and better away dirty, its like riding your horse hard all day long and puttin the poor devil in the stable wet with a saddle still on his back.. something i learned from watching my dad struggle with dirty saws, so after every use, whether its 5 minutes or 5 hours

1. empty both tanks of oil and fuel
2. start the saw and let it run till dry
3. blow the outside off or towel it off to get debris off
4. remove side cover, bar and chain
5. blow out all the debris from clutch area and every other nook i can find
6. blow the gunk out of the bar
7. blow debris off the chain.
8. then wipe off the saw with a microfiber towel(cuz i have tons of old ones) till its free of all oil and debris
9. then wipe off the bar
10 then wipe off the the chain 1 link at a time
11. put it all back together and retention the chain.
12. if i have a case it goes back in.

Rick

My 257 runs great but it doesn't oil worth a hoot. It started out looking like this under the hood.
IMG_20200205_161333.jpg

I've cleaned all the superficial crud off of the pump itself and the case. I've blown out the oil screen, tube, and the orifices in the pump and the case; all of that is clear. I've pulled the pump apart, checked all the components against the IPL, and reassembled according to the diagram. I've run the pump with the adjustment screw all the way in and all the way out (I can get about 11 clicks). Turning by hand with no bar, I can get a little oil to come out of the hole, but with a bar on, I don't get anything noticeable. I've run two different 20-inch bars on it and made sure both were cleaned out (the two middle bars in the pic; lower one is Husky that came with my 55, upper one came with the 257 and I can't tell the brand).
IMG_20200218_153600.jpg

The two unknowns I can't see when the saw is put together and running are (1) is the worm wheel engaging the plunger gear and (2) is the oil tube mating perfectly to the pump. The only thing I know to do is to replace these two or three parts in the existing pump body and see what happens. The worm wheel is suspect just because it's plastic, even though it looks okay. Back when troubleshooting the 257 was more popular, a new assembly could be had for about $30; now they are $65 cheapest I can find.

The temperatures are fairly mild (50-70F) and I'm running Husky winter formula bar oil, which isn't thick. Anybody know something I missed?

I also put a bunch of saws away and I can officially say that I've run out of space.

View attachment 799165

might be time to sell a few of the ones I don't use/like/want off.... hahaha. the official count is 62 saws. (not all in this photo)

You're absolutely right! I think I see a 797 or 795 on the far right that looks to be taking up way too much space. Or any super pro saws, they must be taking up the most space haha. I'd love to help you clear some out :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back