What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my own arch too, though I made mine to pull behind my ATV and Tractor. But, sometimes, I just use the manual winch on the arch to bring large (un-liftable by me) rounds and short logs up a hill that is much steeper than it looks in any picture. The tongs make for a very quick connect, and with their ability to open wide, I can grab the rounds by the two ends and get a smoother more stable pull.

View attachment 799042

View attachment 799043
Nice setup . I want to make one for my kubota albeit a larger one that will lift the log off the ground so I'm not dragging the logs in the dirt

Thanks Mark. I am only cutting for firewood, so I was only looking to lift the front butt to keep it from plowing my various trails, and to keep it from hanging up on roots and rocks. I do most of my skidding during the winter when there is a frozen snow covering. At least I did when we got snow covering. Most of the time I cut and split in place, and transport the loads of splits with a cart behind my ATV. Keeps me on my low impact plan.

Here is an old thread where I outlined my build: Log Arch Build , but there are plenty enough other builds documented here, and in fact, the concepts are not very complicated, so handy folks can just start building and end up with totally usable tools.

Thanks Mark. I am only cutting for firewood, so I was only looking to lift the front butt to keep it from plowing my various trails, and to keep it from hanging up on roots and rocks. I do most of my skidding during the winter when there is a frozen snow covering. At least I did when we got snow covering. Most of the time I cut and split in place, and transport the loads of splits with a cart behind my ATV. Keeps me on my low impact plan.

Here is an old thread where I outlined my build: Log Arch Build , but there are plenty enough other builds documented here, and in fact, the concepts are very complicated, so handy folks can just start building and end up with totally usable tools.
I've been looking at alot videos and in fact I did see your thread when I did a Google search. Very nice work

One thing I need is a few more bars for my go to saws.

Prices sure have gone up on Oregon stuff in the past couple of years. Talking 25 percent jump. And even the off brands are now priced where Oregon was previously.

Sure makes looking at the higher end bars like Sugi and Tsumura more reasonable as their prices have not jumped.

Even the forester bars seem high for what they are. I have 1 on the 2065 its saving grace is its pretty light.
I noticed that too.

Basically the best deal for a midsized cheap bar is to buy one of the Archer or similar with a loop of Asian chain for 35 bucks with free shipping.

I noticed that too.

Basically the best deal for a midzised cheap bar is to buy one of the Archer or similar with a loop of Asian chain for 35 bucks with free shipping.

I have run some Archer chain in the past and can't say anything bad about it. Some may say otherwise but all of mine have lasted till there was nothing left to grind. At the same time I keep an eye out for deals on Oregon chain and buy in bulk when I find a deal....old habits.

I got this in November if that counts. Have a few things to do to it before it goes into service. Nothing major the usual leaky fuel cap, clean n adjust the carb. I am excited to have a 28" bar to try. See if I like 28" before investing in a lightweight.00s0s_5E9G0KQlPJT_600x450.jpg

Y’all are killing me with the FEL picks!!! Gotta get one!!!!

IMG_20190507_145152_compress81.jpg

About 40% of a cord on each end. When we bought this tractor, which replaced a pair of 8Ns that my dad truck-farmed with since the 70s, my dad asked "do you really NEED the loader?". I can't imagine going back to life without one!

Picked up a new to me Dodge 5500 that I'll make into a dump truck. Upgrades to the kiln, few upgrades to the one processor and the older one is being replaced this summer.
Plan to sell a few of the older dump trucks.

Would like to put in a concrete slab and roof over the processor, but likely won't happen this year.
Same with a wood bundle vending machine. Need to get a few irons out of the fire before putting more in.

The big front loader bucket on the Bota has stopped a bunch of finger printing fire wood.
mpO0uor.jpg

Used to have to hand load the trailer then hand unload it. With the Bota bucket I just dump it.
enhance

I have a old New Holland Manure spreader the floor finalluy rotted out of. going to put a new floor in and remove the beaters then can use the PTO to have the apron chain push the wood out.

:D Al
thought...you may,,or may not have luck with the chain pulling it out..the weight of the wood,,may be far more than manure ever weighed...and im sure the chain is wore,,it may snap as soon as it tightens up...when you kick the chain in gear,,it will tighten,,and either move it,,or break...if manure is heavy,,it only drags along what the angle on the chain will grab...with the wood,,your trying to move the whole damn load..your call...

I got this in November if that counts. Have a few things to do to it before it goes into service. Nothing major the usual leaky fuel cap, clean n adjust the carb. I am excited to have a 28" bar to try. See if I like 28" before investing in a lightweight.View attachment 799236
you will be wondering what you "wood" have gotten done with it "wood" you have had it earlier in your "wood" cutting life! never having to step over or around another tree that will never be to big to cut through again from one side is a good feeling!! lol

Got my lights home today. And a few other things of course. Electric concrete saw, diesel heater, another landscape trailer and the two lights. They will plug into the generator light tower.

Attachments

• 20200221_161211.jpg
    20200221_161211.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200221_161225.jpg
    20200221_161225.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200221_110809.jpg
    20200221_110809.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
Wife went to pick up a mattress she bought in Town so I put one of the lights out front shining down the highway. I sent her a text saying that I left the garage light on so she could find our house. She was not impressed when she came up the road. Just now she was in the basement so I put one of the lights in the garage shining in the kitchen door. Now she's calling me names. Sure was bright. Guess I'll go to a restaurant for breakfast in the morning. I'm going to have fun with these lights.

Attachments

• 20200221_212657.jpg
    20200221_212657.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200221_212608.jpg
    20200221_212608.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Did a workout today with the military trailer and loader. I want to get logs up to the house so I can work at my leisure. View attachment 798586

I've got more of those trailers than I need. The only issue with them is their weight in the hills with a tractor pulling it. Any time I've got one I try to get a second one to sell.....then I end up not selling it. I think I have eight on the property. Two of them even have surge brakes, a3 versions. Another one has a sheet metal top built over it, it'll end up holding all the wood cutting stuff. 0915180827.jpg

Almost all oak with some locust, not even on its overload springs.

Shea

I've got more of those trailers than I need. The only issue with them is their weight in the hills with a tractor pulling it. Any time I've got one I try to get a second one to sell.....then I end up not selling it. I think I have eight on the property. Two of them even have surge brakes, a3 versions. Another one has a sheet metal top built over it, it'll end up holding all the wood cutting stuff. View attachment 800109

Almost all oak with some locust, not even on its overload springs.

Shea
Nice! Mine has been too big at times, but I can't overload the thing. Mine does have the sides and the top pieces, but I got tired of trying to chuck wood over the sides. For hauling, you can't beat them.

Latest posts

Back