Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went by the Echo dealer and Barry was there today. I told him if it didn't have spark $10 was the best I could do. He said he got it at a yard sale and the guy said it 20200218_184726.jpg 20200218_184715.jpg did not run. He took it home, cleaned all the crud off of it, put fresh mix in and it started up and ran well. He said he would gaurantee it will run, so I gave him $20 for it.

Went by the Echo dealer and Barry was there today. I told him if it didn't have spark $10 was the best I could do. He said he got it at a yard sale and the guy said it View attachment 799277 View attachment 799278 did not run. He took it home, cleaned all the crud off of it, put fresh mix in and it started up and ran well. He said he would gaurantee it will run, so I gave him $20 for it.
That looks like a fun one there!

Went by the Echo dealer and Barry was there today. I told him if it didn't have spark $10 was the best I could do. He said he got it at a yard sale and the guy said it View attachment 799277 View attachment 799278 did not run. He took it home, cleaned all the crud off of it, put fresh mix in and it started up and ran well. He said he would gaurantee it will run, so I gave him $20 for it.
Nice score Joe!
I just had my 2511 out yesterday, crazy light saw.

Good lookin' rigs, Nate! Your buddies old truckster can haul some payload!
Thanks, Yeah that thing is tuff! Can’t believe he hasn’t broke something. After weighing a few blocks we figured he had over 8000# on this load 6157E241-FD27-44D4-986E-4976E726D007.jpeg He’d chain back bumper to a tree and pull big trees out with the pto winch, thought he was goin to pull it in half, lol.

Thanks, Yeah that thing is tuff! Can’t believe he hasn’t broke something. After weighing a few blocks we figured he had over 8000# on this load View attachment 799317 He’d chain back bumper to a tree and pull big trees out with the pto winch, thought he was goin to pull it in half, lol.

That's great! 8k pounds of buckskin! Dang good find!

Maple season is here! I may be a week or 2 late but I put out 15 taps yesterday . The trees are swamp maple, not sugar maple but it still works out it just takes more sap to get the syrup. I picked up a 55 gallon drum I plan to convert into a stove end put 2 pans in it for an evaporator. I can't find the stove kit locally and will have to order one so it's one more year for a beat up old Jotul stove I got for free, The pan fits perfectly in it.View attachment 799061 View attachment 799061
If sugar maple tastes like sugar does swamp maple taste like swamp?

Sorry wrong picture, this is one we figured to be over 8000#View attachment 799328 View attachment 799331
Tamarack, I didn’t think he’d get it all on there but he did, he was worried someone would take it if we left any, lol.
Not sure what the rules are like in the US but if your overloaded here and you cause an accident here you have zero insurance. If that accident happens to be a B double full of liquor you loose everything you own.

I have always stacked my wood along the fence. It gets good west wind and dries well. There is about 5 facecord stacked there now, however, the snow always drifts over and covers the wood on this side. The other side is mostly bare. The round stack or holzhausen doesn't gather any snow. The wind seems to keep bare ground around it. I think I'll make a couple more this year
b72e49a7647d5b18c4a7e0264a1f41aa.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Not sure what the rules are like in the US but if your overloaded here and you cause an accident here you have zero insurance. If that accident happens to be a B double full of liquor you loose everything you own.
This was mostly untraveled logging road, private ground, little bit of street, no hwy. And my buddy don’t drink alcohol, ever. Like wood chip said they don’t worry to much about non commercial loads here. Good to be careful though, wouldn’t want to do something to cause others harm. Another friend drove by a notoriously strict state trooper yesterday with this load64804496-8C89-488E-BA80-F97911F3BB36.pngand they didn’t bother him.

If sugar maple tastes like sugar does swamp maple taste like swamp?
Probably, My son in law wanted a goose to cook. My cousin shot one, cleaned it, and gave it to him the same day. My daughter called and said, "NEVER give him another goose, it tasted just like a funky pond smells". YMMV

I have always stacked my wood along the fence. It gets good west wind and dries well. There is about 5 facecord stacked there now, however, the snow always drifts over and covers the wood on this side. The other side is mostly bare. The round stack or holzhausen doesn't gather any snow. The wind seems to keep bare ground around it. I think I'll make a couple more this year
b72e49a7647d5b18c4a7e0264a1f41aa.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
That's neat, maybe it's kinda like the dimpling on a golf ball.

Probably, My son in law wanted a goose to cook. My cousin shot one, cleaned it, and gave it to him the same day. My daughter called and said, "NEVER give him another goose, it tasted just like a funky pond smells". YMMV
Goose is delicious if cooked properly, betting he overcooked it.

For the most part true.
One thing they will pop you is an unsecured load, it's 4pts here, which for a CDL driver that's bad.
We have a heavily used 2 lane road. The DOT cops were pulling over every vehicle with a trailer. I saw one of the DOT cops getting coffee and told him I saw the DOT crew on RT 32 with a mini van pulled over. It had a small street legal, Harbor Freight style, trailer on the back, with one Lawnboy push mower on it. He said their target was landscapers, but since they can't profile, they pull every thing with a trailer over. He said the fly by night landscapers were terrible about secured loads. Pro landscape trailers have secure racks for trimmers and stuff. The less expensive trailers like at TSC, good safe trailers, just not specific to the trade, have very little tie down stuff built in. Then we got into DOT stuff and weight limits and being DOT certified if the combined weight of the vehicle was over 10K. I told him all of my fishing buddy's with diesel pick ups and 28 to 33 foot boats were over 10K. He said their goal was not to harass sportsmen. That left open the point if they changed their mind, the could go after sportsmen. I also asked one DOT cop on the road, if private people with combined loads over 10K, had to get DOT certified and he said technically "yes". Then when I was doing some title work at DMV they had a DOT counter so I asked the same question there, and he said "no".

Goose is delicious if cooked properly, betting he overcooked it.
We have so may resident Canadian Honkers down here, my cousins freezer is full of them. He usually makes a stew in wine sauce and it's very good. My son in law grew up in a family owned restaurant, and can really cook. He can do a brisket to die for. Pork, Lamb roasts too. Steaks are usually at rare to m-rare. I don't know what the heck he did to the goose.

Back