Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks very good, the only thing I can think of that would make it look better, is if, it were sitting next to my 750 EVL.
Its a very well constructed saw. I sold my other echo, a 452VL, because I could never get it to run right.
I understand the 1001 is a fairly rare saw...

Its a very well constructed saw. I sold my other echo, a 452VL, because I could never get it to run right.
I understand the 1001 is a fairly rare saw...
I found the owners manual and receipt for my Dad's 452. Just before he retired he put it in the shop for something, The guy went on and on about how much he liked the 452. Then Dad retired and figured he didn't need it, so he called the guy and told him he could have it.

I've never seen a 1001?

the 452 is a very well constructed saw, heavy, but nice AV and oiled a crazy amount. I like the older echos, but I don't like that their oil and gas lines melt. Both I've had to do lines on because they melted.

the 1001 is a big boxy saw. And its pretty heavy. But at 100cc's it makes a ton of torque and has unreal compression. Mine runs beautifully, I've only run it once with a 32" bar and 3/8" skip chain in maple and buried it still kept pulling away. The lack of oil ended those cuts though, hence the tear down.

I'd say it could pull a 36" easy. Probably a 42" as well in skip. One day i'll try it out again.

I think the 452 was our biggest Echo. We liked them because of how they revved. I have a 650 and 750 on the shelf now. Our big saws were Homelites. We had 2 Super 1050's. A friend that Dad helped get into the tree business used to borrow one whenever he need a 36" bar. Once he got established, he went out and bought a Homelite 2100, just to have a bigger saw than we did. We actually borrowed his a few times when we needed a 48". I always wanted a 2100, someday?

The SVL, VL and EVL series from the early/mid 70's to the 80's were truly great saws. Robust and built to last were understatements. The fact they had modest chain speed was a trade off for their inherent longevity. They came equipped with all the features. External idle adjust, manual oiler overide and external output adjust. Ahead of the time. The AV was great for the era. They ran smooth and pull(ed) strong. The Oilers through the the series were ridiculously effective. I run them frequently, and aside from plumbing deteriorating, they rarely spring air leaks, even after decades. The EVL ignition setups were the Achilles, though. The point setups were bullet proof. Some of mine I don't mind getting dirty.

For those that enjoy the old Echos...

I tore down one of my 1001 a couple weeks ago to redo the oil system. My dad bought it new in '79. It wasn't oiling well in the first video, after sitting for a few years. Stuck check ball valves in the circuit and new plumbing.

A 701 from '74 wearing the Craftsman colours.

A well used 750 still pulling strong.

A 500 getting down.

A 452 up to the task.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZiwc8O6E-4

The SVL, VL and EVL series from the early/mid 70's to the 80's were truly great saws. Robust and built to last were understatements. The fact they had modest chain speed was a trade off for their inherent longevity. They came equipped with all the features. External idle adjust, manual oiler overide and external output adjust. Ahead of the time. The AV was great for the era. They ran smooth and pull(ed) strong. The Oilers through the the series were ridiculously effective. I run them frequently, and aside from plumbing deteriorating, they rarely spring air leaks, even after decades. The EVL ignition setups were the Achilles, though. The point setups were bullet proof. Some of mine I don't mind getting dirty.

For those that enjoy the old Echos...

I tore down one of my 1001 a couple weeks ago to redo the oil system. My dad bought it new in '79. It wasn't oiling well in the first video, after sitting for a few years. Stuck check ball valves in the circuit and new plumbing.

A 701 from '74 wearing the Craftsman colours.

A well used 750 still pulling strong.

A 500 getting down.

A 452 up to the task.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZiwc8O6E-4

Was great to see all those cutting thank you:)

Ported echo 750 could be cool. So many old saws I want to port just to see what they could be. But time is an issue.

Same stuff. Just maintain strong case compression. I think the only open port saw I've done was a partner 500. That little saw is a beast now.

Right. It's a real in with 2 feet thing porting saws I have a poulan 4000 I'd love to really wake up but man its scary grinding on a unobtainaium cylinder for a complete newbie

Right. It's a real in with 2 feet thing porting saws I have a poulan 4000 I'd love to really wake up but man its scary grinding on a unobtainaium cylinder for a complete newbie
I feel you. That partner 500 I did had .050 squish stock or more. I think that's where most the gains came from after tightening it up. Didn't even have to cut the squish band or piston. I have a couple old saws I really want to get to. Like a pioneer p41, p61, and a stihl 041 super.

I feel you. That partner 500 I did had .050 squish stock or more. I think that's where most the gains came from after tightening it up. Didn't even have to cut the squish band or piston. I have a couple old saws I really want to get to. Like a pioneer p41, p61, and a stihl 041 super.

Yeah that's a good point the 4000s are up around that number too. The other cool thing is the dukes 4000 top end which will make for guilt free grinding

I have a modern 280T, probably not your cup of tea but I like it a lot.
I don't expect I'll ever buy another new saw, but I bet I'd like it. I've got to take that back, I have an Echo string trimmer, with the adjustable hedge clipper, and I'm just waiting for an excuse to buy the pole saw.

Well, for limbing spruce of those myriads of thin hard branches, I'd say the 280T is perfect. Lightweight and maneuverable, it has a proper engine and descent tank volume not suffering from the compromises of the tiny 25cc.

Back