Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have so may resident Canadian Honkers down here, my cousins freezer is full of them. He usually makes a stew in wine sauce and it's very good. My son in law grew up in a family owned restaurant, and can really cook. He can do a brisket to die for. Pork, Lamb roasts too. Steaks are usually at rare to m-rare. I don't know what the heck he did to the goose.
I have tried a zillion recipes for duck and goose. Only a few that I use now because their dry, fine grained meat does not react well to many normal cooking methods.

Stroganoff, rumaki (marinated pieces wrapped in bacon then grilled or fried), and jerky are the only ways I prepare it now.

We have a heavily used 2 lane road. The DOT cops were pulling over every vehicle with a trailer. I saw one of the DOT cops getting coffee and told him I saw the DOT crew on RT 32 with a mini van pulled over. It had a small street legal, Harbor Freight style, trailer on the back, with one Lawnboy push mower on it. He said their target was landscapers, but since they can't profile, they pull every thing with a trailer over. He said the fly by night landscapers were terrible about secured loads. Pro landscape trailers have secure racks for trimmers and stuff. The less expensive trailers like at TSC, good safe trailers, just not specific to the trade, have very little tie down stuff built in. Then we got into DOT stuff and weight limits and being DOT certified if the combined weight of the vehicle was over 10K. I told him all of my fishing buddy's with diesel pick ups and 28 to 33 foot boats were over 10K. He said their goal was not to harass sportsmen. That left open the point if they changed their mind, the could go after sportsmen. I also asked one DOT cop on the road, if private people with combined loads over 10K, had to get DOT certified and he said technically "yes". Then when I was doing some title work at DMV they had a DOT counter so I asked the same question there, and he said "no".
gubmit

Rumaki is my favorite method of cooking any game, especially at camp, over Oak coals on the grill.
Same here.

I like Lawry's marinade for rumaki. Cube the meat and let it marinate, the longer the better preferably 2-3 days. I do mesquite or steakhouse for red meat. For grouse and pheasant I will use hawaiian marinade. I will put a slice of water chestnut and or jalapeno in. Also throw a chunk of pineapple in the poultry ones.

Grilling is of course the standard but the best ones I have done we in a cast iron skillet in lard.

We have a heavily used 2 lane road. The DOT cops were pulling over every vehicle with a trailer. I saw one of the DOT cops getting coffee and told him I saw the DOT crew on RT 32 with a mini van pulled over. It had a small street legal, Harbor Freight style, trailer on the back, with one Lawnboy push mower on it. He said their target was landscapers, but since they can't profile, they pull every thing with a trailer over. He said the fly by night landscapers were terrible about secured loads. Pro landscape trailers have secure racks for trimmers and stuff. The less expensive trailers like at TSC, good safe trailers, just not specific to the trade, have very little tie down stuff built in. Then we got into DOT stuff and weight limits and being DOT certified if the combined weight of the vehicle was over 10K. I told him all of my fishing buddy's with diesel pick ups and 28 to 33 foot boats were over 10K. He said their goal was not to harass sportsmen. That left open the point if they changed their mind, the could go after sportsmen. I also asked one DOT cop on the road, if private people with combined loads over 10K, had to get DOT certified and he said technically "yes". Then when I was doing some title work at DMV they had a DOT counter so I asked the same question there, and he said "no".

That's F'd up. What do they do with out of staters that dont need a DOT for under 26k for non commercial use. My truck and camper combined weight is 23k. My dump and truck is 21k both are not commercial use as I only use the dump for my properties. For RV over 26k in NY you need an R endorsement on you regular drivers license.

For the most part true.
One thing they will pop you is an unsecured load, it's 4pts here, which for a CDL driver that's bad.
My cousin had a split fall off his pickup on the hwy, a van in the opposite lane swerved and ran off the road and the driver died, my cousin was charged with involuntary manslaughter or something like that even though split never went across center line and driver of van was drunk.

My cousin had a split fall off his pickup on the hwy, a van in the opposite lane swerved and ran off the road and the driver died, my cousin was charged with involuntary manslaughter or something like that even though split never went across center line and driver of van was drunk.
Yep, not good.
Having a CDL I am a bit more particular about how my securement "looks", I like orange or yellow straps a lot ;).
Bummer that happened :(. Hope he was able to get the charges expunged after the time served or whatever the final charges were. One of the best ways to know for sure is to apply for a concealed permit.
If your buddies fish for profit at all, that would include tournaments, then they are a commercial carrier and need numbers on there vehicles over 10k and to have commercial licenses over 26k, if not they still must carry the non commercial licensing for the class they are operating in.

Depending on who you're talking to you can get all sorts of answers, it's much like the guy sharpening chains at the hardware store, he's a professional chain sharpener since he's getting paid to do the sharpening, but that doesn't mean he is an expert or really knows much about what he's doing. Similarly most every cop I know has their pet tickets to write, and they even have the numbers memorized. I've had issues that they could have written me up for many times and they've even stated such, then they say they don't know for sure how to write it up. That's why most normal cops(non commercial) won't even pull a semi over for anything except speeding, they are not trained to even look at a logbook, or a computer now days :badpc:.
Here's a nice write up for your area, same here and for the most part all across the country with the major exceptions being axle and bridge weight laws.
Some areas of the country also require drivers to have extra licensing to haul specific loads such as steel coils.
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/programs/horses/FS-964 HorseTransportationRegulations.pdf?TB_iframe=true

I drove for 20yrs, I couldn't tell you much about what is in that book, but it rode around in my bag for all those yrs because that's the law ;).

Usually I fry my goose in a pan with butter and garlic. Than I put it in the dog dish and dial 488-8888 Pizza hut delivery is really great :)

Just kidding. We make it all into sticks now. Have a great butcher shop that does 5 different flavors. Think we ended up with 75# split between 3 of us this last year.

Yep, not good.
Having a CDL I am a bit more particular about how my securement "looks", I like orange or yellow straps a lot ;).
Bummer that happened :(. Hope he was able to get the charges expunged after the time served or whatever the final charges were. One of the best ways to know for sure is to apply for a concealed permit.

If your buddies fish for profit at all, that would include tournaments, then they are a commercial carrier and need numbers on there vehicles over 10k and to have commercial licenses over 26k, if not they still must carry the non commercial licensing for the class they are operating in.

Depending on who you're talking to you can get all sorts of answers, it's much like the guy sharpening chains at the hardware store, he's a professional chain sharpener since he's getting paid to do the sharpening, but that doesn't mean he is an expert or really knows much about what he's doing. Similarly most every cop I know has their pet tickets to write, and they even have the numbers memorized. I've had issues that they could have written me up for many times and they've even stated such, then they say they don't know for sure how to write it up. That's why most normal cops(non commercial) won't even pull a semi over for anything except speeding, they are not trained to even look at a logbook, or a computer now days :badpc:.
Here's a nice write up for your area, same here and for the most part all across the country with the major exceptions being axle and bridge weight laws.
Some areas of the country also require drivers to have extra licensing to haul specific loads such as steel coils.
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/programs/horses/FS-964 HorseTransportationRegulations.pdf?TB_iframe=true

I drove for 20yrs, I couldn't tell you much about what is in that book, but it rode around in my bag for all those yrs because that's the law ;).
I drove for most of my 30 years at UPS, we had a plastic pouch on the bulk head door of every package truck that had a DOT and HazMat book in it. It was part of your pre trip to make sure both copies were there. My last 6 years I shifted trailers in the yard, that was my favorite job. Most drivers didn't like shifting. Our yard was built when 40 footers were the norm. With almost all 53's now the yard was hard to get around in, and if you so much as cracked a morrow, you were charged with an accident. One thing about shifting, since we never left the property, they let our DOT's and CDL's expire. The company figured they weren't going to pay for training you didn't need. That also meant if some one called out in real bad weather, they couldn't grab one of us shifters and make us go out on the road. We also did not have to follow DOT hour regulations. During "Peak", Christmas time, we worked unlimited hours. As long as you said you were good, they let you stay. One time a massive snow storm hit and I was in the seat for almost 18 hours. When my manager found out he pulled me out and said if I wanted to keep working I could go inside and sort packages, they were short handed and I couldn't hurt anyone in there. So I went in and worked another 10 hours. Got in 28 hours straight total. It took them a month to get my pay straight. I freaked out the computer. It couldn't handle me punching in before one day before midnight, working all the next day, and punching out after midnight the 3rd day.During Christmas 70 hour weeks were common for the shifters, worked a couple 80's, that was murder. Remember we were not going out on the public roads.

-19 on the house this morning. Now that I am finally back home I need to get the wood racks refilled!!! Probably used more propane in the last 10 days than we did all winter.

Weird weather here. It has been in low 40s days but dipping to 20 every night for most of a week and an'ther week of the same coming...does warm up to mid 40s by the end of the 10 days though but still below freezing nights.

Going balls to the wall trying to finish split/stack of last summers harvest. Got 14 cord in hte stacks now and a good start on #15. Gonna be close. The to-be-split pile is way down, may be able to finihs in a day or two.

40 hrs is my longest work day (and no, I don't do drugs). Crazy what the body will put up with when needs must. Got 4 hrs sleep then pulled another 12 hr day. That was the building work I did for sis in Canada a while back. Took the body weeks to come right after that job. Never again. I guard my time and health better nowadays.

I drove for most of my 30 years at UPS, we had a plastic pouch on the bulk head door of every package truck that had a DOT and HazMat book in it. It was part of your pre trip to make sure both copies were there. My last 6 years I shifted trailers in the yard, that was my favorite job. Most drivers didn't like shifting. Our yard was built when 40 footers were the norm. With almost all 53's now the yard was hard to get around in, and if you so much as cracked a morrow, you were charged with an accident. One thing about shifting, since we never left the property, they let our DOT's and CDL's expire. The company figured they weren't going to pay for training you didn't need. That also meant if some one called out in real bad weather, they couldn't grab one of us shifters and make us go out on the road. We also did not have to follow DOT hour regulations. During "Peak", Christmas time, we worked unlimited hours. As long as you said you were good, they let you stay. One time a massive snow storm hit and I was in the seat for almost 18 hours. When my manager found out he pulled me out and said if I wanted to keep working I could go inside and sort packages, they were short handed and I couldn't hurt anyone in there. So I went in and worked another 10 hours. Got in 28 hours straight total. It took them a month to get my pay straight. I freaked out the computer. It couldn't handle me punching in before one day before midnight, working all the next day, and punching out after midnight the 3rd day.During Christmas 70 hour weeks were common for the shifters, worked a couple 80's, that was murder. Remember we were not going out on the public roads.
Even when you are on the rd there are so many things that don't make sense with the laws. I could drive for a company in Detroit over 2hrs away and finish my limit of hrs in the truck, drive home for my 10hrs off and then back, so I was still driving for another 4hr and then did I ever even sleep :nofunny:. I was pulled over on a Thursday by a DOT cop, he asked for my log book and I said you don't want to see that, he said why and I explained I had been running Pepsi loads and they were unloading me and reloading me out of the same dock and that they woke me up when they were finished(I had almost 3k miles already), he said are you tired/are you safe to be on the rd, I said I'm more refreshed now that during most other weeks. He let me go with a written logbook warning, he understood the intent of the law and didn't get caught up in the letter of the law, for which there are always ways around.
Did you ever get to drive one of the trucks with the flame job and the chrome wheels :cool:.

My favorite driving job was on farm plates. Pulled into a weigh station down shifting all the way like I had a load (empty). Pull up and the patrol asks for my license. The older guy next to him says why ya want his license? Says he's got farm plates wave em through!

Did a little splitting today to clean up around the big oak I'm working on.20200219_100621.jpg One of the little hickories the big tree busted up on it's way down.20200219_115806.jpg Then a decent pile of oak.20200219_120952.jpg Then hauled 3 bucket loads out to the edge of the corn field befor calling it quits to get to bed.

Browning for shotguns dude. A5 FTW!
I have Savage , Ithaca, Beretta, Winchester and Remington shotguns. Almost pulled a deal together on a A5, definitely on my gotta have list. Just worried like the model 12, I will love looking at its aesthetics more than shooting it.

Recall that gum slab wood outdoor table I made a few months back? Did I mention it was an experiment so was a gift for Sis as couldn't sell it? Well a few days ago I was given two old, nearly empty drums of epoxy that had been laying around in Sis' shed for years and she didn't know about until I noticed them recently. Turns out there is still about 25 gallons of resin in them so I thought I'd thank her by flood coating that table that I still haven't delivered to her (bc I can't lift it without tractor which is 5 hrs away for another few months).

So, I pulled the cover off the table last evening and laughed.

A few weeks back we heard a rifle shot and every neighbour I spoke to just thought it was another neighbour taking care of a possum (pest here). We were wrong.
rifle.jpg

I placed those tenons to try and stop this, knowing the slabs weren't fully seasoned.

I'm more stoked to have heard and experienced this failure than worried about the table. Have got some clamps on it to restrict/guide any future movement and will give it the rest of Summer and then use my new big saw to cut it up enough to get it all back together with the free epoxy I have. Hopefully by then it has settled down. I have always known it's really difficult to hold back timber if it wants to go, especially eucalyptus, but thought I'd take a chance, do what I can to mitigate and see what happens. A really cool lesson to learn. I never thought the epoxy would hold the tenons in the mortice under such loads, so that the only way left to relieve the stress was to rip the tenons apart. I felt for sure the epoxy would shear before the saligna.

The force required must have been yuge.

This has been quite an extreme (for here) Summer too - very hot and remarkably humid. Almost every city around here is on the most severe water restrictions. Common for Aus but not for NZ. I might wait until into Winter before addressing this table again as hopefully the humidity has dropped and stayed low for a month or so by then.

I have Savage , Ithaca, Beretta, Winchester and Remington shotguns. Almost pulled a deal together on a A5, definitely on my gotta have list. Just worried like the model 12, I will love looking at its aesthetics more than shooting it.
I have an Ithaca 410 a mossberg 12 but my favorite is my 16 gauge. It's about 140 years old . Belgium made in the 1880's early 90's

Back