Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another pic of it.
47c00b39c207c841b6b1faa928b94bc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always stacked my wood along the fence. It gets good west wind and dries well. There is about 5 facecord stacked there now, however, the snow always drifts over and covers the wood on this side. The other side is mostly bare. The round stack or holzhausen doesn't gather any snow. The wind seems to keep bare ground around it. I think I'll make a couple more this year
b72e49a7647d5b18c4a7e0264a1f41aa.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

What did you use for a base Jeff? I ask because I built one last year and it worked well except for the bottom layer which I stacked directly on the gravels. I just purchased a Gransfors Bruk hatchet and the booklet that came with it showed using branches in a cross cross pattern to allow air and I bet it works great. Nice looking Holzhausen!

My s2000 will run 155 topped out in 6th gear. Stock tranny and rear end. Ap1 2.0 liter. Vortech supercharger 4 inch pulley. Water methanol injection after 5 psi. Haltech ecu. Very little will run with it including bikes.
7818e5f410cc873458a4540fed05ac9c.jpg

That's a nice setup. I went the cheap honda rout back in the day. 4 door civic with GSR motor,s300,and 60 trim. Hurt a lot of feelings with that car.

I'm looking at a 572xp . Got a price of $ 875 with a 28 inch bar. I really need to stop getting little things at the husky store. It's like I need a new 25 cent nut for the bar oh wait how much is this? I was able to leave without it though but it just keeps coming to mind.

I never even ran mine, never took it out of the box. Think this is the first I've seen of it :) Sent it off to @huskihl to get some love. Got mine for a tich over $800 without the bar and chain. I have a nice sugi 28" waiting to go on it.

Attachments

• 572.jpeg
    572.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
That's a nice setup. I went the cheap honda rout back in the day. 4 door civic with GSR motor,s300,and 60 trim. Hurt a lot of feelings with that car.

I had a white 4 door gsr a while back. It was tired smoked on vtec. Sent it down the road. I really like crxs. Had several. Can’t find them now. All rusted out or totaled. Had a Zc in one it was cool. Done a 91 si and put an f 24 in it along with the accord 5 speed. That was a torque steering monster. Would pull the wheel out of your hand and go left. You had to be ready for it. Fastest thing in my parts until the evos and sti came out lol.

I never even ran mine, never took it out of the box. Think this is the first I've seen of it :) Sent it off to @huskihl to get some love. Got mine for a tich over $800 without the bar and chain. I have a nice sugi 28" waiting to go on it.
That will be very nice!:)

It will look like yours as I got the west coast kit or whatever they call it.

How do you like it?
Awesome! That will be a great setup. What length bar?

I really like it. Good balance, very smooth, good power-torque. It’s just one of those saws that’s a pleasure to run and does what you need well. Kinda like the 372, just has a good “feel” to it, except even smoother.

What did you use for a base Jeff? I ask because I built one last year and it worked well except for the bottom layer which I stacked directly on the gravels. I just purchased a Gransfors Bruk hatchet and the booklet that came with it showed using branches in a cross cross pattern to allow air and I bet it works great. Nice looking Holzhausen!

I used skids as a base

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Awesome! That will be a great setup. What length bar?

I really like it. Good balance, very smooth, good power-torque. It’s just one of those saws that’s a pleasure to run and does what you need well. Kinda like the 372, just has a good “feel” to it, except even smoother.

I got 28 and 20 sugi lite bars.

That's good to hear. I was between the 572 and 576. I got much better reviews on the 572 and what your saying echo's what I had been told. My buddy bought one as well so I have a little seat time on his and liked it. I really like the auto tune saws.

I got 28 and 20 sugi lite bars.

That's good to hear. I was between the 572 and 576. I got much better reviews on the 572 and what your saying echo's what I had been told. My buddy bought one as well so I have a little seat time on his and liked it. I really like the auto tune saws.
Awesome! Those should be great bars. Yeah I had a 576 before, I think they are great saws too. In my experience and what I’ve heard from other’s the new gen auto tune on the 572 reacts quicker and keeps it in tune better and 572 feels more flick able and balanced to me. Took me awhile to warm up to the idea of auto tune/ mtronic but I really like it now too and much prefer it to a manual carb.

So, I take it from your posts you’re in Oz?
Further East. New Zealand. :) Bound to be a few Barras rolling around NZ. Offer goes out to anyone up there - if you see anything on our domestic and most popular auction website - www.trademe.co.nz or any other place here, sing out and I'll help it on its way to you.

I got a few big old saws away to a few people up that way years ago. Haven't done anything like it since.

The time has come! I declare 'wooding season 2020' open. Weather is just too nice (bit chilly mornings). I realized that what 'to be split' is left can be done "sometime", I'd rather be cutting.

Off to Tim's in the morning to do a bit of continuation that I quit on last year when winter arrived. Buddy is coming down to haul me home as I am leaving the truck there to act as a skidder. Lots of small locust to clear cut but almost all will need to be skidded to where the truck can load - steep ground.

Began today by processing the pile of small guage locust logs that have been waiting in the wood lot. Only an hour but rather beat out - some of those 6-7 limbs were heavy.

Need to get back to Von's on the willow clearance project. First job is to use a wagon and consolidate the unburned chunks from about 20 burn piles from last year.

Well, that was not a good start to the season. Got a good chin fest with Tim but...last year if was "we hate locust, take it all". That "all" was beinninngthe shrink some "except that tree, and that one". Today it was That that one, and that one, and..." I said I wasn't sure which trees he was ponting at (there are lots). We decided he would spot paint white any tree I can take. Then all the Sapling size got removed from the table. He finally admitted that his wife does not "hate" locust :). I have a baseball cap with '*****' written across the bill. Thought of handing that to him but decided that was probably NOT a good idea..

Anyhow I pulled a nice 12' x 12" locust log I left last year up over the bank. Not a very good start cutting. Yesterday when processing limbs the saw definitely needed sharping.. I had just done that but it was a rocked loop and I guess I did a poor job. Put in the vice and resharped last night. Used it to cut up the log. Still not cutting well and then quite altogether. I felt it hit something - turned to be a hunk of barb wire. That loop will go in the recycle bin before I go back tomorrow.

Buddy showed up to drive me home so I quit with the cut rounds waiting to be loaded.

Well, that was not a good start to the season. Got a good chin fest with Tim but...last year if was "we hate locust, take it all". That "all" was beinninngthe shrink some "except that tree, and that one". Today it was That that one, and that one, and..." I said I wasn't sure which trees he was ponting at (there are lots). We decided he would spot paint white any tree I can take. Then all the Sapling size got removed from the table. He finally admitted that his wife does not "hate" locust :). I have a baseball cap with '*****' written across the bill. Thought of handing that to him but decided that was probably NOT a good idea..

Anyhow I pulled a nice 12' x 12" locust log I left last year up over the bank. Not a very good start cutting. Yesterday when processing limbs the saw definitely needed sharping.. I had just done that but it was a rocked loop and I guess I did a poor job. Put in the vice and resharped last night. Used it to cut up the log. Still not cutting well and then quite altogether. I felt it hit something - turned to be a hunk of barb wire. That loop will go in the recycle bin before I go back tomorrow.

Buddy showed up to drive me home so I quit with the cut rounds waiting to be loaded.
Been in on a few of those shrinking bargains before.

Been in on a few of those shrinking bargains before.
The best ones are when you walk and years later the tangled mess of logs and hung up trees is being reclaimed my Mother Earth because the owner would rather let it rot away than admit they were a selfish/foolish muppet expecting us scroungers to do all the work, take all the risks for not even enough $ to feed the dog on because they wanted a cut, to hold back the most worthwhile trees, us to leave the place in a pristine state better than it has ever been in a generation or more, or they wanted at least a percentage of the processed wood that makes it undoable.

Or when they realise they should have trusted us when the 'heaps of people' who said they'd deal with it cheaper or for free came, took a few bites and gave up, leaving it in an even worse state, and when they call us back in (so, at least two site visits they expect us to give to them for free because our time and the mechanical horse we rode in on are free) we have to tell them the wood is now too far gone to be worth processing while listening to their predictable tales of useless bastards who never showed, messed the wood up, stole **** off their land, left gates open, etc. So their goldmine is now going to cost them to clean up.

Had one guy ask me out to his place for a clearing job. Not only was it out the back of beyond with an overgrown goat track I was expected to turn into a nice race/farm road for him, in order to get the wood out, but he asked what I'd give him in return for the privilege and after politely explaining the costs involved to him he ignored my good advice and demanded a cut of the wood I get out. At that point I told him thanks but no thanks and walked. Two weeks later I learned the farm was on the market when he called me out there, and found a buyer a while afterwards. I'm not sure there is much worse in this world than asswipes that don't play with a straight bat.

Latest posts

Back