Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out in the garage avoiding my wife and her inevitable chores. Gave dad's old hatchet another rub of linseed oil. Backstory here is my middle boy took it to go camping and left it laying in the back of his buddy's farm. It came home a year later in sad shape. I gave it a going over with steel wool and wirewheeled the head. I have decided it will be my splitter companion.
acb4d982f66a9e22ec704d885f8e2201.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Got the 340 purge lines hooked up and tried out the rescue chain. It was way too grabby. Needs to either be ground back and depth gauges accurately set or just tossed. This chain came on another saw and had a 45 degree cutter angle and about 60 thousandths raker depth. I’ve started to convert it back to 25 degrees but with the raker depth so low it’s not suitable for a 40 cc saw.

Put the new bar and chain on it, cuts better. Did a muffler mod and it cuts better again.

Swiss cheese muff mods may not be pretty but they work and the saw isn’t crackly at all.

340 at zero balance on the tailgate with the old bar and chain. Just barely sitting there.
262029B0-5075-441A-B9E9-3C3096D155C3.jpeg

New bar and chain
275E2487-615A-4746-9187-9C4DA1D39C79.jpeg

Cousins. The mm’d 130 will outcut the stock 340
72418F86-0DF8-41C2-B2E9-A9746BB2C6C7.jpeg

With Swiss cheese treatment the 340 picked up significant torque and throttle response. Now it will outcut the 130.
53587D4C-F119-4D9B-BDF8-DEEBC27EED34.jpeg

Got the 340 purge lines hooked up and tried out the rescue chain. It was way too grabby. Needs to either be ground back and depth gauges accurately set or just tossed. This chain came on another saw and had a 45 degree cutter angle and about 60 thousandths raker depth. I’ve started to convert it back to 25 degrees but with the raker depth so low it’s not suitable for a 40 cc saw.

Put the new bar and chain on it, cuts better. Did a muffler mod and it cuts better again.

Swiss cheese muff mods may not be pretty but they work and the saw isn’t crackly at all.

340 at zero balance on the tailgate with the old bar and chain. Just barely sitting there.
View attachment 800322

New bar and chain
View attachment 800323

Cousins. The mm’d 130 will outcut the stock 340
View attachment 800324

With Swiss cheese treatment the 340 picked up significant torque and throttle response. Now it will outcut the 130.
View attachment 800325
And you can cook on it to boot:barbecue: :lol:.

Out in the garage avoiding my wife and her inevitable chores. Gave dad's old hatchet another rub of linseed oil. Backstory here is my middle boy took it to go camping and left it laying in the back of his buddy's farm. It came home a year later in sad shape. I gave it a going over with steel wool and wirewheeled the head. I have decided it will be my splitter companion.
acb4d982f66a9e22ec704d885f8e2201.jpg

Nice hatch.

I have two that I need to install new handles on, and clean up. One is a bearded style, the other a hatch/hammer combo. The latter I might be able to save the handle and just put in a better wedge to hole the head on.

I think so. Had little trouble at first getting them to close and grip on barkless dry wood, sharping points helped that, also if you hook point opposite handle first then lift it pulls them closed and grips well, or just give it a quick jerk works too. And they actually grip better if it’s not in center in my experience. You can pickup pieces quite a bit bigger than opening too, just set round on end and grip off center of end. View attachment 800262To release just push down with palm quick. Just be careful throwing large rounds, if it don’t release your body has a tendency to follow the round wherever it goes, lol. Hope that helps, they really are handy.

Yup , a fella has to be ready at all times to let the whole go flying lol

One massive down side with these cars........ I. guy I work with bought one of these a few years ago, on the first weekend he went for a long drive with his girlfriend and had the roof down. Nice and breezy so didn’t realise they were getting sun burnt. I remember him coming into work on the Monday morning, I’ve never seen someone so sun burnt in my life, red as a tomato.

Yeah, but I bet he got some. Gotta weigh these things up.

That’s awesome! Don’t get any better :)

Well new firewood tool came in the mail today View attachment 800108 Love this thing! Sure is handy. Perfect length for picking splits off the ground without bending over. Works great for pulling rounds out of the pickup or trailer too. Nice and light. Sure like this forum, have gained a lot of knowledge from here for making firewood easier and more enjoyable, and found some good friends too.
Here's the leading image on our NZ Fiskars website page for forestry tools:
forestry-tools-saws_header_image.jpg

But they don't offer the hookeroon or the tongs here - go figure. Might have to hit Amazon. Keen to see if the points will handle the denser timber here or just bounce off screaming "it aint no spruce"

While tinkering in the garage, I made a knife from a sawzall blade. Maple handle rubbed with a stain/linseed mix. I think it will be a handy campers knife with the saw teeth on the back.
Here is my VTEC Honda hatch. 5 speed and at least 89 HP at the wheel! It gets slightly worse fuel economy than a Tesla and if you fold the back seat it will hold an armchair or a bicycle or 2 sets of tires! My boys share this car but it's fun to drive on the rare occasions I steal it back.
6273c71c2f67ff4dec69dbe879331ab8.jpg
5599870f2275e34ba7d143392ffa7c1f.jpg
3560165b65c7a6530a5a85c2a6e9f859.jpg

Back