Firewood tip #368

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Uncle @MustangMike is in his latter 60’s and splits a **** ton with his Fiskars. Anybody that says they’re trash either have wolhooped shoulders and can’t swing fast or just plain can’t understand the fact it’s not a maul, it’s an axe. You gotta swing that axe and get some speed!!!!

I had actually given up splitting by hand about 20 years ago. I used to have bad back spasms so I bought a hydraulic splitter. An eight lb maul would put me in bed for three days but I can use the x27 as long as I pace myself.

I have two of the fiskars, big and small. My son wanted a husq splitting axe, short handle with heavy head. All of them split fine, but I always grab the x27 first. I can get that light weight long handle to split alot, my left shoulder is in major need of a do over and I can still get things done with this tool.

Shea

I have split wood by hand for decades and have used 6 + 8 lb mauls, monster mauls of various flavors, wedges with sledges, etc. Once I tried an X-27 I bought one, and it is the only hand splitting tool I use.

I now have 3 of them, one at the house, one at the cabin, and one stays in my truck. I even keep one handy when using the hydro to cut through the stringy stuff that did not split all the way.

I have split some very large rounds with them, and have split through some knots I would not have thought would split.

I keep my hands about 8" apart and give it a hard - forceful swing. If I can't split it with the Fiskars, it goes to the hydro, no other hand held is going to split it.

The light weight of the Fiskars also lets me go a lot longer than I could with a maul. Until I run across something better, I will not be w/o one. Also, I have not broken any of their handles.

Can't remember how many other handles I've broken, but when a wooden handle breaks and the 8 lb maul head comes back at your face, I can tell you it is something you don't want to happen again (at the time I switched to the metal handle monster mauls). Luckily, I slipped that maul head and it just brushed my cheek as it went by.

Don’t store your Fiskars x27 outside with the handle pointing up. I went to split a block of locust and as I raised the axe over my head, a pint of ice and water ran down the back of my neck.
The hollow handle was full of rain water and it had frozen. That’s how my Saturday started.

That will wake you up!:surprised3:

I was gifted a fiskars splitting axe (don't think it's the x27) and loved it right away. Been splitting wood with a 6lb maul, wedge and axe since I was a kid. Now I just use the splitting axe and sometimes the maul to break up bigger rounds. The splitting axe is just straight up less work and less time to keep my house warm and it's oh so satisfying.

The hollow handle water got me about twice before I started making sure I stored the axe with the handle pointing slightly down. Since then, I have had a few small ant colony spills. So now I hit the shaft on a log a few times before I start swinging. Problem solved.

I know a lot of people who run a fiskars, mainly because they don’t know any better. For an easily obtainable and affordable consumer product they are pretty good, which is probably why they’re so popular. Head shape and design comes first before weight. I run Gränsfors Bruk products and there is definitely a difference in quality (as expected) but due to that I don’t work as hard as lesser products when splitting or general axe work. My splitting hatchet can just about keep up with a fiskars splitting maul. The Gränsfors splitting maul will walk all over the fiskars. Yes their products are expensive but like most things in life you get what you pay for. Nothing against the fiskars, just stating my own observations.

I know a lot of people who run a fiskars, mainly because they don’t know any better. For an easily obtainable and affordable consumer product they are pretty good, which is probably why they’re so popular. Head shape and design comes first before weight. I run Gränsfors Bruk products and there is definitely a difference in quality (as expected) but due to that I don’t work as hard as lesser products when splitting or general axe work. My splitting hatchet can just about keep up with a fiskars splitting maul. The Gränsfors splitting maul will walk all over the fiskars. Yes their products are expensive but like most things in life you get what you pay for. Nothing against the fiskars, just stating my own observations.
CTYank is back!!!!!

Do you have a link for the gransfors? I have heard nothing but praises from many people but never have been able to find them.

I have the X25 and the GB splitting axe so both are in the same class .
I've owned both for years and split a fair amount of wood with both, softwood and hardwood .
The GB feels better in the hand because of the wooden handle but I've never gotten a bad bounce or funny vibration with the X25 .
As far as splitting , I think that the X25 wins even though I have gotten the cold shower from it once or twice lol
Your results may be different than mine but I can't recommend the GB based off of my owning and running both .
Especially at it's current price .
I can recommend the Fiskars .

Yes . I have a 28 inch 17 and the small hatchet. My bil used it while we were in the woods he had forgotten his maul. He ordered one the next day

Never had the problem of it bouncing off ash or other woods. It didnt do great on the hickory or sycamore but my splitter had a bit of a struggle with then too

I have had it bounce off green locust but then any other tool does the same, wedge, maul, regular ax, x27. The X27 will usually bust it if I hit on or ner the same spot. I will usually cut a small kerf then insert wedge, bust round in half and then the fiskars handles it easily.

I have bought the X27 for the cabin as I don't have a hydro splitter there. Now I bought another one at home and use it more often that the splitter. For the price it can't be beat

Here’s how I store mine.

View attachment 800121

Pretty much how I do it...except I do remember to hang it handle down when I quit for the day.

The X27 is tool not the crown jewels. It lives outdoors 365/yr. If it needs a swat on the rear to finish a split it gets it. So what if it breaks and the lifetime warranty won't cover. I'll just buy another one.

I haven't even sharpened it since new ( bought right after the x27 came on market) and it still splits the same.

Back