U-tube experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hard to believe the misinformation about tuning a saw that you can get from U-tube. Many people with very little understanding of chainsaws feel comfortable posting their lack of knowledge as "advice" from an expert. Here are some of my favorites, you got any?
1. This posting shows a guy holding the saw running at WOT while he adjust the low speed screw, thinking he has the secret to tuning a saw.
2. In this one a guy with a new saw is demonstrating that the correct way to break in a new saw is to start with a full tank of fuel and let it sit running at idle until it runs out of fuel.
3. This expert is showing how to tune a saw but all he does is fool around with the low speed screw and sort of get it running but advises to never touch the H screw because it is set by the manufacturer and they know best.
4. Same thing as number 3 except this guy says the H screw is the speed control screw for high speed. Screw it in and the saw runs faster, back it out and the saw runs slower, suggests that you shouldn't fool around with it unless you think the saw is running too slow.

theres the guy who says machine work on cylinders doesnt make more compression, and that compression is from all the gases getting pushed back in the cylinder by the muffler...same genius is telling his flock that blowdown period is from TDC to when the exhaust port opens...

That same guy says that Mickey mouse ears help mix go up the transfers even though the transfers are lower than the top of the intake and the piston is moving up.

Not on YouTube (perhaps he's now, who knows?) but there was a guy on discussion groups and boards two/three years ago pushing some miracle oil that allowed you to run on 200:1 premix. Obviously he had "hundreds of hours" on his high performance machinery using this mystery fluid. Funny thing is this guy didn't even sell this amazing lubricant. He was some sort of poor bloody infantry/basic cultist/unpaid salesman who had drunk the Kool Aid and was carrying water for somebody else.
He also had some pretty "interesting" theories on two-stroke tuning, especially when it came to exhausts.
As I moderated one such group back then I was always split between kicking him out and allowing him to cover himself in ridicule.

It’s not just tuning, it’s working in general. There is a guy out there with a monster following amoungst new chainsaw users. I’ve seen his utube vids using pro methods on little trees that should be in a tree fail vid. The first was cutting a square block out of the back cut for a bottle jack. The tree tipped, but did not fall true to the notch. He did a bore cut with similar results. It’s like he looks for stuff that no rookie should try, just to be exciting and get followers. He may have, but I’ve never seen him tell people to just put their 12’ ladder against the tree and throw a pull line over a limb. It’s like he would rather create fails to increase his following.

I had a similar thread only it was about sharpening and one guy replied , not my words but stuck with me because it is true " Any fool can post a video ,another fool comes along and believes it to be true " this is how misinformation gets spread around . U tube has good information just have to sort out the bozo's from the ones who are knowledgeable. It can be entertaining better than watching some movies but I can only take so much of it before I switch it off.

That same guy says that Mickey mouse ears help mix go up the transfers even though the transfers are lower than the top of the intake and the piston is moving up.

I think I know who your talking about . He claims it is a Mac thing to rough up the roof of the intake and put in those MM ear ports. I never seen that one done for porting a saw . More U tube bull#### because if there was something to it other guys who port saws would have picked up on it if Mac ever did this to some of their saws.

It’s not just tuning, it’s working in general. There is a guy out there with a monster following amoungst new chainsaw users. I’ve seen his utube vids using pro methods on little trees that should be in a tree fail vid. The first was cutting a square block out of the back cut for a bottle jack. The tree tipped, but did not fall true to the notch. He did a bore cut with similar results. It’s like he looks for stuff that no rookie should try, just to be exciting and get followers. He may have, but I’ve never seen him tell people to just put their 12’ ladder against the tree and throw a pull line over a limb. It’s like he would rather create fails to increase his following.

I know who you are talking about. I remember watching that tree/bottle jack video a couple of years ago. I'm thinking...'Why, why?'

He does have some decent info in some if his videos, but I'd have to say that quite a few of his videos are click-bait garbage info.

Back