Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning,,, got as much as I could from the last firewood site,,, time to find a new one...
Well,, they were paving the road this morning, ran out of black top right in front of my place, cause the weather is so nice, and the yard was backed up!!! Finally got out, and didn't see any more wood around... I went back to the old site, and cut some 20"blocks there... But its getting to heavy to load alone!!!! Not much more I can salvage myself unfortunately... To bad there isn't someone around to team up with... I really hate to leave all that wood to rot on the ground!

High and lo for the day. Pickup is parked at Tim's to act as a skidder. Too car to Von's to check if route in is dry enough to get to the upper end of the Willow removal project (1/2 mile up a draw on sod)...it is and a convenient gate into the pasture right at the farm entrance. One to Tim's for clearing Locust. I was down yesterday. trimmed one tree up of excess stems then fell one of a two stem locust into the mini canyon (about 20'deep) sidehill - very steep and hard to stand on while limbing. Makes brush disposal easy tho, just toss downhill onto the burn pile.

Hit the wall as far as energy to continue and quit for the day taking car hom.

Today was the lo point. Back to Tim's to skid two stems up out of the canyon. No problems, Cut them up, loaded and planned to move on up the draw to finish out the load. Nope. Dead battery from too many starts and short runs yesterday and today. Got Tim to come up with jumpers and took truck home with only half a load.

Back tomorrow with truck and hopefully abuddy to bring car home. I am planning to carry my 4 wheel garden cart down and proceed on to Von's to start...and hopefully finish cleaning up the burn piles. I'll keep fingers crossed that the battery in the truck doesn't leave me stranded there. It is only a year old and should not have gone dead. There weren't that many starts on it down there. Truck starts first jug up even cold.

Mud season here. I had to take bark and chips from the splitter and toss them in the chicken coop path to avoid falling in that mess, wouldn't be pretty. I had the dog out on the dirt road down from us on a long walk and I saw fish wrapped up in plastic wrap. It was placed every 500 feet or so and 5 feet from the road. No pun but something fishy in this. I took a stick to check for leg traps but found nothing. I would guess night hunting/poaching.

Im about to score these 3 cut down by the county [emoji16][emoji16]

The DBH for all 3...

38”
30”
38”

554e6f4463e3c94882c1e0e780c934b7.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Mud season here. I had to take bark and chips from the splitter and toss them in the chicken coop path to avoid falling in that mess, wouldn't be pretty. I had the dog out on the dirt road down from us on a long walk and I saw fish wrapped up in plastic wrap. It was placed every 500 feet or so and 5 feet from the road. No pun but something fishy in this. I took a stick to check for leg traps but found nothing. I would guess night hunting/poaching.
Don't let the dog near it, could be poisoned.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

End of scrounging for a few. Truck in the hospital on the back of a tow. 23 miles home. no start. Tow showed up and it cranked like a new truck. Gotta be them dratted safety switches again. Neutral switch. Replaced twice once last fall, relay at bottom of column. 3rd of 4th time. I told them to put a push button bypass in the dash. I understand it is an easy job and bypasses both switches.

It's been muddy here all winter. Ground really hasn't frozen at all.

Don't let the dog near it, could be poisoned.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Oh yea I have been careful with that, that was one thought I had. We had someones dog following us for part of the walk so I hope it left the bait alone

Lazy fur bearer hunter. Gonna have his boy with a .22mag hanging out the passenger window while the guy in the backseat spotlights for eyes......

That is my first thought. "Hold my beer while I shoot this.":cheers: Not my idea of fun but if thats what does it for them.

It's been muddy here all winter. Ground really hasn't frozen at all.

Yep a weird winter. I had hopped to get a bucket load of chips from the splitter area but the ground is mud on top and frozen below.

Yep a weird winter. I had hopped to get a bucket load of chips from the splitter area but the ground is mud on top and frozen below.

That's the worse at least when it's just mud the truck sinks. But with that little layer of slime ontop of the ice the truck just slides all over

Back