guillotine wood processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

504 farmall

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have any of you any experience with guillotine wood processors? After looking at a few videos I think I might make one. They don't seem to be very complicated.

Wrong type of processor. I'm talking about one that shears and splits at the same time. Most of what I can see are from European countries and I can't understand their language .

Posting a link, or some photos would help us understand. There are several European members here on the site who may have some experience or insight on those models.

Philbert

Chomper out of business years ago. Interesting approach though.

There are quite a few on youtube much smaller and a lot less complicated. I'm just wondering what pressures and cylinder dia. they are using.

These types are just splitters , ( the ones shown here), you have to cut chunks first then split them. I'm talking about one that shears and splits all in one stroke. I do believe they are more for soft wood types than for Maple Oak types of wood. When shearing Birch, Aspen types you can see a lot of water squirting out of the cut end as it's being sheared and split. My wood is all Aspen , Balsam, Black Ash, Spruce so I think this type of processor would be idle for my use. Just google guillotine wood processors and you'll see several versions.
I made the shear blade yesterday out of a piece of 3/4" x 12"x 16" plate. bevelled the edge on the mill. Now to get some angle iron for the uprights. All the hydraulics I think I have already. I'll have to see how to post pics on here as I go. Some sites are nigh impossible to get pics on it.

Very easy to post photos on this site: select 'Upload a File', then choose the photo(s) on your phone or computer.

IMG_4359.jpg
Leave as a Thumbnail at the bottom of your post, or paste the Full Image in line with your text, wherever you choose.

IMG_4360.jpg

Philbert

Just google guillotine wood processors and you'll see several versions.

Lots of firewood processors out there. This style seems more focused on greener, softer wood than those using a saw? Seems like you would need a more substantial frame and power to counteract the shearing force. The 3rd video I posted has a very interesting way to shear and split logs into firewood, although, the conventional style firewood processors look like they provide more uniform product.

Interested to follow your build.

Philbert

After reading I looked at the same videos earlier this morning.. :surprised3:
The second video you posted is a scary looking contraption as far as the hoist/ lift thingy on it.

Back