Have people who hunt your woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it just had to happen I presume. I had no Idea what so ever there would be screw in climbing steps a tad above the stand. Yet today as I am cutting the tree up and get the stand out of the brush I hit one of those steps.
Instant sparks and no more wood chips coming out the saws chip port.

I had just spent time thios morning before going back there sharpening the chains for the two saws I was going to take with me to do the job.

I haven't inspected that chain just yet but do believe it is going to take a bit of metal off the cutters to get it sharpe.

:D Al
He probably put that one there to hang his backpack or rifle by the sling.

I used to hunt a decent amount on our property, but hobbies have changed a bit with family. I used to let an old friend hunt too. I let him hunt it for several years. All he had to do was ask, let me know when, and be legal. Worked great for awhile, then one year he ruined it for himself. He was mostly a meat hunter, and one October he shot a spike buck. I helped him track it and haul it out with my 4hweeler. We have online deer check in and figured he tagged it. We used to be able to get at least 3 does and only one buck in our county. So he had the buck, or so I thought. In November he's hunting the firearms season, no problem. About 10 in the morning I get a text, "Hey, I just shot a monster buck. Can you help me get it out?" Wait, what? You already got your buck for the year. Turns out he never tagged the first spike buck. He hadn't even bought his buck tag at all for the year. I totally refused to help him, or even get out of my house. He had to go to town to buy a buck tag after he had already shot it. He's freaking out the whole time, and I just tell him you deserve whatever happens to you. He lied to me, lied to the state, and lied to fellow hunters. I still don't talk to him much at all. He ruined it for himself.

I don't let anyone hunt our property anymore. I like doing what I want, when I want in my woods. Fall is a great to get firewood too!

Cut this nice Oak down because of the screw in steps in it. In grown so bad I saw no way to remove them with out damageing the tree and it possiabley dieing any way.

Just about got this one with the saw.

the chain.

Even the seat is in grown.

I really didn't need this oak tree for the fire wood. I have enough dead Elm for another years heating season I believe. Lots more than this tricky one.

This deer wanted her picture taken since I was out with the camera.

Why did you take it down. If the tree was healthy should have just let it grow over what was there. The tree would just grow over it and keep growing. I would have just used some marking paint so I would know that tree had metal in it and left it alone.

I took the tree down because of the metal in it. Marking it an allowing it to keep growing would have been fine if that stand hanging up in that tree wouldn't have bothered me. Marking it would also have been fine I suppose were I only in my 20s.

But I am 73 years old what if nI had allowed the tree to grow say 5 more years and it grew around those tree steps, I got sick and couldn't get back there to renew any marks, even die and some one cut the tree for lumber and ruined a saw blade?

I didn't want that to happen, couldn't stand seeing that tree stand up there every time I walked by either
Kept reminding me that the hunter had no respect for the land owners property as I an my friends do on all the farms we coyote hunt on.

I suppect that come spring, new shoots may crop up from the root system.

I also have around 50 pounds of acorns I will scatter about the area come spring.

I am setting in a big river bottom. Surrounded by woods. We raise 150 acres of corn. In the fall we sow it in rye. We are eat up with deer. It’s nothing to see herds of 30 or more. Everybody wants to go hunting here. My whole family hunts. My boys me and my father. I don’t need a bunch of yahoos in the woods when any of my family is there. I’ve had guys stop and ask and after I tell them no go in anyway. Game wardens will go in and get them. Ask me how I know.

The best story I’ve got is I was up in a stand one evening and here comes a feller walking through. I hollered at him and he came walking over. I asked him if he was lost. He said he had permission to hunt here. I asked him who gave it to him. He gave me MY name. I played dumb. In Virginia it has to be in written form. I asked him to see it because you are supposed to carry it with you. He produced a hand written piece with my name at the bottom of it.
I flipped sh!t. I told him who I was and proceeded to rip it up. Thought there was going to be a hunting accident behind my house. I walked him out with my 270 pointed in his general direction. He had been dropped off by someone else and they wouldn’t answer his phone. I called the wardens and they was there in 20 min. He got to ride in the back of there suv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a pic of our river bottom.
87bd0e652d776f8858a6de85f5711309.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice area.

Your hunting story about the tresspasser reminds me of a neighbour of my folks. they owned a huge farm nearly a whole 640 acre section about 8o acres of mature hard woods they harvested on occation and a big cedar swamp.

One fall day the dad who was in his mid 60's went to cut some cedar fence post at the turn to the swamp there was a gate to keep the cattle that used the woods for grazeing from getting in the swamp. when he came out with his load of fence post he got off the tractor to open the gate. Some yahoo in a tree yelled at him to get out of there with the noisy tractor.

Old man yelled back that he was tresspassing they had not gave any one permission to hunt their woods.
Hunter started threating the old man so he jumped on his tractor and left.

Back at the house he told hius son in his early 40's. Flames I am sure erupped from his ears hearing some clown threatened his dad.
Goes home grabed his 30 30 went down to the woods just off the road and spied the hunter still in his tree stand. Rex aimed at the limb over the hunters head and shot it, breaking and falling on the hunter. the hunter started yelling and Rex kept pumping rounds in that tree as the hunter is coming down PDQ.

Rex said once on the ground he told the guy to git and if he ever again made a threat to any of his family he would become a forever lose hunter.
As that is what he would do with the body sink it in the sink hole in the middle of the cedar swamp.

I've hit other things in trees this was in the woods nothing around or so I thought . There had been a hunting cabin there in the 70s. Dropped the tree and of course it fell on the clothes line pully. Didn't see it but sure heard it when the chain hit it. It went into the stove as is20191216_151143.jpg

Well tried the chain out toda. Nope didn't want to cut for diddly squat.

Will run it thru the sharpner again as soon as I get a chance.

Latest posts

Back