Anyone replaced the tires on 22ton speedco wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Reaction score
Hope I got it right, it's a Huskee 22 ton from Tractor Supply about 12-13 years ago.
Can I leave the wheel on the splitter and replace the tire/s ?
Tire size 480/400-8.

Sure you can but sometimes it easier and cheaper to just buy the hub and tires mounted. I usually just buy tubes for my yard equipment.

I agree, depending on the size and availability of what your looking for. TS has package deals where a tire and wheel combo might just be cheaper and easier.

Walmart has those little tire/wheel combos at good prices.

Used a lot on boat trailers.

It is also easy to put a tube in one or just put a new tire on the wheel if the wheel is not rusty.

Tubes that's a good idea my spliter never leaves the property and they just need to hold air.

Tube tires are a pain in the ass when one gets a flat. You have to take it apart to fix it. Tubeless tires are better cause you can just put a plug in it from the outside and be done with it. I started buying wheelbarrows that come with the flat free tires and they work great. I wish all my slow moving equipment came with a flat free tire. Saves a lot of time and effort and down time repairing them. Flats just slow you down and interrupt your day. Time is money for a lot of things we do. If it moves slow and doesn't leave the yard a flat free tire is the only way to go. If you can find them to fit your equipment.

Yes tube tires go flat quickly with a puncture. But really I have never gotten a flat on my wheelbarrow or splitter in my yard. I also put 5k on this truck on the road last year. Tubes with retainer ring rims tires are 33 years old no cracks made when they used real rubber . The 17 inch rims are NOT SPLITS ,dont want to start that argument about widowmakers. 20190225_092720.jpg

Attachments

• 20190408_195015.jpg
    20190408_195015.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 14
Yes tube tires go flat quickly with a puncture. But really I have never gotten a flat on my wheelbarrow or splitter in my yard. I also put 5k on this truck on the road last year. Tubes with retainer ring rims tires are 33 years old no cracks made when they used real rubber . The 17 inch rims are NOT SPLITS ,dont want to start that argument about widowmakers. View attachment 801856
A c-20 long narrow bed that year has to be rare.

16.5 were true splits , Two piece rims very dangerous rim if not handled correctly. Mine are three piece body ,retainer ring and bead ring. Much safer these were mostly for farm trucks . Could be fixed in the field with a few tools
My 1966 k-10 came with 16" wheels and 3:73 gears front and rear...worked well with 15/8 alloy wheels and 12x31 tires.
Factory 283 replaced with a 71 454ci.
It was a real stump puller with a granny low 4-speed.

Thanks for all the replies, gave me some ideas...all my ***** so old it just overwhelms me sometimes.

Yep time takes it's toll on everything. Been looking around my place and having the same issues. Everything is getting old. I just took my little Kabota tractor in today for new back tires. It seems 34 years on the originals is about the limit. I think I got my money's worth out of them though. Been looking at the house and seeing boards that need replacing and new paint. Mold and mildew is covering everything that is exposed to the weather. Seems like as soon as I get everything cleaned up I have to start over.

Yes tube tires go flat quickly with a puncture. But really I have never gotten a flat on my wheelbarrow or splitter in my yard. I also put 5k on this truck on the road last year. Tubes with retainer ring rims tires are 33 years old no cracks made when they used real rubber . The 17 inch rims are NOT SPLITS ,dont want to start that argument about widowmakers. View attachment 801856

Climate seems to affect things differently. Some things last longer depending on where you live and exposure to the elements and use.

After say 2000 tires have been made from synthetic rubber. Dont last worth a ****.

When it comes to tires there is a difference in how long they are designed to last. Thats why they come with a millage warranty. Soft rubber wears out faster but grips better. Hard rubber last longer but doesn't grip as well.
When It comes to tires, you can't simply compare them equally. They are made differently to do different things. Heat seems to be the biggest issue with tires. Every time you use them they go through heat cycles from friction. Those heat cycles can make a huge difference in how long they last. Heat cycles cause the rubber compound to change over time. Different compounds for different uses.

20190911_133452.jpg
When it comes to tires there is a difference in how long they are designed to last. Thats why they come with a millage warranty. Soft rubber wears out faster but grips better. Hard rubber last longer but doesn't grip as well.
When It comes to tires, you can't simply compare them equally. They are made differently to do different things.
Don't agree. I have tires that are 56 years old still no cracks this is an original bias ply tire for my 1964 hawk . Not a crack soft and playable. My spare from my 07 dodge never sen the light of day is crack so bad I wouldn't use it. Garentee you take a new 60k warranty tire store it for 30 years and it will be so dry rotted you wont use it

Latest posts

Back